2010 Lexus RX 350 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Lexus RX 350:

2010 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments

Jul 312016

RX 350

While driving at 55 mph steady on highway the car suddenly shifted into neutral and coasted to a stop. There was no abnormal sound associated. While stationary I tried shifting into reverse or low gear with no response. I shut the car off and restarted it, the car would shift into drive and returned to normal operation for a short period and then shifted into neutral again. After multiple start/stops I was able to get the car home and had it towed to the nearest Lexus dealership the next day for evaluation. In the wrong traffic conditions (congested highway or unsteady terrain) this could have been a serious safety concern, especially if my wife was driving the vehicle when it happened. After 2 days of no response I was told that the fault codes indicated that I needed a new transmission (at a cost of $6900), there was no way it could be repaired. No other details of the damage to the transmission were provided. This is a 2010 Lexus rx 350 with 89,500 miles and has been maintained regularly. For this vehicle, based on the mileage and care put into it, I believe there was a defective part in the transmission but cannot verify it. I was not offered any compensation (because it was officially out of warranty) and had the vehicle serviced (transmission replaced) by an independent maintenance shop. The second shop confirmed a mechanical failure within the transmission, requiring replacement.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Sep 232014

RX 350 6-cyl

2010 Lexus RX350. Consumer had transmission shifter assembly replaced. Consumer also want to know if he can be reimbursed. According to the invoice, the shifter would get stuck when shifting from neutral to drive. The consumer stated once the gear was in drive, it slipped out several times.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 072011

RX 350 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. The contact stated the vehicle rolled away while parked on an incline with the engine shut off. The vehicle rolled down the hill and crashed into a fence and a light post. The contact received neck and back injuries from the crash. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the contact was advised that they would have to pay someone to read the report taken when the black box was analyzed. The contact did not know what caused the failure. The failure and the current mileages were 19,000. Updated 03/05/12 updated 03/07/12

- Boston, MA, USA

Mar 092011

RX 350

I started the car, backed it up, pulled forward turning to the left to go down a driveway when the car unexpectedly accelerated. I stomped on the brake but the car did not stop. I flew out of the driveway, across the street and hit 3 trees and a rock before the car stopped.

- East Haddam, CT, USA

Aug 302010

RX 350

I bought a new Lexus rx 350 in August 2010 and had a collision on the third day driving the car. I was at a parking lot waiting for a parking space. The engine would shut down. When I saw a parking space available, I started the engine by pressing the engine button without pressing the brake pedal (you don't need to press the brake when you use a key to start the engine). I did not know by doing that, I only started the radio and air conditioning but not the engine itself. I then pressed the brake pedal and shifted to the driving gear. At that time, another car was pulling into the parking lot. I was going to stop my car to wait for the other car to pass by me. I pressed the brake but the car did not stop and kept going forward because the road is a little steep. I felt that I had no control of the car - both the brake and power steering. My car finally stopped after hitting an embankment in the parking lot. There was damage to the front bumper and scratches on the side. Total damage is more than $2,000. Went to the dealership and was told the rx 350 was designed in that way - if you press the start button without pressing the brake pedal, the engine won't start, but you are able to shift the gear to driving if you press the brake at this time. It can be very dangerous because the power steering and brake will not work properly if the engine is not started.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA