2012 Lexus RX 350 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Lexus RX 350:

2012 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments

Dec 022015

RX 350

The contact owns a 2012 Lexus RX350. The contact stated that after shifting into park and powering off the vehicle, she attempted to exit when suddenly the vehicle independently rolled away. As a result, the front drivers side tire rolled over her buttocks. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,450.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Mar 012012

RX 350 6-cyl

The car, a 2012 Lexus RX350, was purchased new from a California Lexus dealer on January 30, 2012. The problem, which manifests every two or three days, is a delay of several seconds between pressing the accelerator pedal and actual acceleration of the vehicle. When acceleration eventually occurs, it does so with a surge or jolt. The problem has occurred in a variety of circumstances. Several times I have been unable to accelerate safely from a freeway on-ramp into faster-moving freeway traffic. On at least two other occasions the vehicle has failed to accelerate as I drove up a hill. Most recently, as I began a left turn from a stopped position, the delay in acceleration nearly resulted in my being broadsided. I have taken the vehicle twice to an authorized Lexus dealer. On both occasions I was advised that because the technician was unable to reproduce the problem during a short drive, there was nothing they could do. I raised with the technician the fact that there were numerous complaints online about the very same problem. He said that the issue, which apparently relates to the powertrain, had been addressed with respect to earlier Lexus models but had been "fixed" for subsequent models through redesign of the powertrain.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 032011

RX 350 6-cyl

I bought the new car from a Lexus dealer in NJ on Saturday 12/03/2011. Right after the car was delivered to me and as I drove the car out of the dealership, I noticed that RPM surged whenever gear upshifted specially in 15-40 mph range. My wife also noticed the same issue. We brought the car to the dealer on following Friday, 12/9/2011, and explained the problem. When I brought the car back to the dealer for inspection, it had ~340 miles on it. One mechanic at the dealer road tested the car with me and noticed the same issue. We left the car at the dealer on that day. On following Monday afternoon (12/12/2011), the dealer called and said the transmission is failed and has to be replaced. We have serious concerns about the quality of the car and resulting safety issue: Power train is the main component of a car that has direct implication on a car's safety. This car was a defect even before it was delivered to me. I also have serious concerns about the rigor of Lexus new car inspection process before customer delivery. We are concerned that this kind of power train issue can lead to a more serious sudden acceleration problem that causes disastrous accidents. With this defected car, we might have gotten into an accident right after delivery due to power train failure.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA