2.6

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230:

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 012016

C230

At 115,000 miles the vehicle started experiencing issues shifting from park to reverse or drive. Once in reverse or drive, it won't shift back into park. The car must be turned off in neutral position or wait up to 5 minutes before shifting back into park. Once engaged in reverse or drive there is no problem with the transmission's operation.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jul 012016

C230

2007 Mercedes C230 with 65661 miles began to lose power and not shift into gear. Towed to a Mercedes dealer where they said it was a mass air sensor and $1000 bill. Within a few weeks same problem, loss of power and unable to shift. Now they replaced the conductor plate in the transmission-1300.00 bill. This seems to be a very common problem in this specific year make model for Mercedes not to handle.

- Heathsville, VA, USA

Jul 072016

C230

My car went into limp mode going down the street, had to have her towed to starmotors, the code came up as internal speed sensor and transmission control module, it is known to mbusa about this problem and they need to fix it and not cost out of my pocket

- Hanahan, SC, USA

Apr 222016

C230

Takata airbag replacing due to recall and transverse case is defective was told by Mercedes Benz of North palm beach fla that it would cost over 12, ooo.oo to get car fixed at 40 miles per hour car failed without warning verify info with rob at Mercedes dealership 561-203-8958 was told by better business breau to try and contact you all first, im sad because of me being unable to afford this car repair bill due to no fault of my own

- Rivera Beach, FL, USA

Apr 222016

C230

Transmission went out at 100, ooo miles car went out without warning going at a rate of 40 miles per hour on a buisy highway motorist stranded with a walking disability, esp light came on when trying to put car in drive would not had to be towed now at Mercedes dealership North palm beach, dealer ship advised would cost 12, ooo.oo to repair recall was too late to file deadline 2-15-16.

- Riveria Beach, FL, USA

Mar 162016

C230

My vehicle became stuck on one gear as I entered the freeway. I had my kids with me and I had to pull over the shoulder. After turning it off and on again, it reset itself. This has happened 4 times now. Now its happening on stop lights as I try to accelerate, it feels its dragging and cars behind me are honking at me to move out of the way. It is unsafe and I cant afford to fix it or buy another one. I researched and found much more people are having this problem. Why has no one done anything about this issue? my wife drives this car and I am not sure if she will respond in the same fashion as I did when presented with this dangerous event if it occurs. I wanted someone with some clout to know about this just in case a disaster occurs I know who to go after. Please make Mercedes Benz responsible and fix this free of charge. This is my only car and it was not cheap and now to pay for a problem I am sure they know is a problem....its ridiculous. Please help before someone gets hurt. Just look up 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 stuck on gear and you will see how big this issue is. I bought the car in January 2016.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Mar 102016

C230

The car stays in first gear and I have to stop and pull over. Put it in park and it jerks very badly going it to park. Then I turn it off, and back on. Then everything goes back to normal, until it happens again. So many people have this issue and there is no recall. What are they waiting for. There is 113 complaints on this car and almost none are from the only recall they have actually issued. This happens on a red light. It happens on the high way. In reverse. I wish I never bought this car. Some people paid 1500 dollars to fix it. I thought Mercedes meant high quality. At least they can admit their mistake and fix it for the people suffering before someone dies. The car has 94000 miles. My Honda went to 200,000 with out issues.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

May 202015

C230

Transmission will not shift, goes into limp mode. Turn the car off, wait a couple minutes, restart the car and it drives fine. This first happened May 2015 with 66,000 miles. Our mechanic told us this is a very common Mercedes transmission failure. We choose to replace the fluid, and it did seem to help. Now we have 79,500 miles and it goes into limp mode once a week. The fluid was supposed to last 100,000 miles. Our mechanic said the fluid we changed was clean. This is a very dangerous situation, a known Mercedes defect with the transmission electronics. The next step if we decide to keep the car is to replace the transmission conductor plate. Never again will I buy a Mercedes. This car has been babied by my wife, and has less than 100,000 in 9 years. Any Japanese automobile would have easily provided double the life before failure. This is totally unacceptable to be facing thousands of dollars in repairs to a car with on 79,500 miles.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 192013

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle starting jerking as if it were to stall. In addition, the contact stated that the transmission seemed as if the vehicle was in neutral. The vehicle was shut off and restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the conductor plate needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Dec 182015

C230

On several occasions I have experienced my vehicle going into limp mode due to the same transmission problem that everyone else seems to be having. It has happened when pulling away from an intersection, trying to overtake a slower vehicle, trying to get up to speed entering the interstate, but nothing particular seems to trigger it. Fortunately, I have always been able to pull the vehicle to the side of the road, shift to park, and shut the vehicle off and restart it, which would fix the problem. Until now. After the last time it happened, the vehicle will not reset. It is stuck in what appears to be second gear. I can't believe that Mercedes Benz has not been forced to recall the vehicles equipped with the 722.9 transmission. I have researched this on the internet and it appears to be a problem world wide. It has caused accidents resulting in injury and death and it is clearly a safety issue. The problem is caused by a defective transmission control module which is located inside the transmission, on top of the valve body. Mercedes refuses to sell the part to anyone other than Mercedes repair shops. My car only has 85,000 miles on it, I bought it used 6 months ago.

- Defuniak Springs, FL, USA

Oct 232014

C230

The 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 with 68,000 miles has after coming to a stop - I would place foot on accelerator and the vehicle not shift out of low gear. It would barely move. On other occasions the vehicle would not go and the vehicle RPM's would rev beyond normal RPM's. this could happen also at this could happen also at any speed I was entering the freeway, as I was trying to enter into traffic trying to accelerate my car would not pick up speed, and the car lost acceleration on a major highway while driving at a speed of 65 mph. I had to pull over to the shoulder and shut off the engine for a few minutes. Only after restarting the engine, the acceleration improved. I have experienced this issue three times now and am concerned about me and my family's safety, why has Mercedes Benz not initiated a recall. I hope the company is not waiting for a disaster to happen. I would appreciate if NHTSA could please investigate the issue.

- Boise, ID, USA

Feb 102015

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into any other gear after the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact pulled over and powered the vehicle off and back on; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the intake manifold and exhaust manifold fractured. Also, the technician stated that the transmission module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Sep 082014

C230

As many have found, during highway driving at stop and go, car occasionally loses acceleration and runs at high RPM. Only after emergency pulling to safety and shutting off the car does it reset. This is a dangerous defect in the power train/speed sensor in this model and needs to be recalled.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 072014

C230 6-cyl

Before I brought my vehicle to the shop I had experienced this transmission issue several times, all resulting in my car getting stuck in a gear. If I pulled over and restarted my car, everything would work fine. I did not have a check engine light error, but I ran the code with my obdi checker, and received an error in regards to the speed sensor. After some research of this issue, it appeared to be a known issue with this type a car. I took the car into a local transmission shop and the repairs totaled $1450. Please note that the local shop still had to take the car to the Mercedes dealership and get the part programmed (tow to dealership $147 and programming $211.20). Since this is a wide spread known issue, why is Mercedes providing a reasonable remedy, thank you.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jul 272014

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes C230. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph with the vehicle in second gear, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or a mechanic for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Magnolia , DE, USA

Jul 012014

C230 6-cyl

The Mercedes Benz C230 with 69,000 miles has after coming to a stop - I would place foot on accelerator and the vehicle would barely get moving would move slowly and would not shift out of low gear. It would barely move. On other occasions the vehicle would not go and the vehicle RPM's would rev beyond normal RPM's. this could happen also at any speed. I feel that this is a dangerous condition and the following parts have been defective and Mercedes is controlling the use of these parts because they know that they have an unsafe design and can prove to be hazardous to drivers.. I went to have the vehicle repaired at a local very reputable third party dealer and Mercedes Benz would not sell the necessary repair parts to any non Mercedes dealer. It is my opinion based on reading about this particular vehicle that the transmission speed sensors have a faulty design as well as the transmission valve body and the hydraulic control unit. I would suggest that this be investigated by the highway safety board and provide for a recall of these items and notify all owners of vehicles. Mercedes Benz is aware that they build a unreliable and unsafe power train for this vehicle.

- Dalllas, TX, USA

Jun 182014

C230

My transmission became stuck in a high gear and would not accelerate. Could not manually change gears and the only way to remedy this issue was to park and turn off the car. I had to use my hazard flashers and drive in traffic for a few miles until I could get over to the shoulder of the road. This is very dangerous and troublesome to me. It appears to be a common issue on this site as well, please look into this.

- Valley Springs, CA, USA

Mar 012014

C230 6-cyl

My car lost acceleration while driving. This was very scary I was entering the freeway, as I was trying to enter into traffic trying to accelerate my car would not pick up speed. I had my children in the car praying not to get hit. I hope something is done before someone looses their life. This need to be a recall item a.S.a.P.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 152014

C230 6-cyl

Ever since I have purchased my Mercedes Benz C230- 2007 model, I have been regularly maintaining it as per Mercedes recommended maintenance instructions. Recently I experienced an unexpected transmission issue in my car. The car lost acceleration on a major highway while driving at a speed of 65 mph. I had to pull over to the shoulder and shut off the engine for a few minutes. Only after restarting the engine, the acceleration improved. I have experienced this issue three times now and am concerned about me and my family's safety. I have researched online on NHTSA.dot.gov, benzworld.org and a few other blog sites where numerous Mercedes C230 owners have experienced exactly the same issue. My question is that if this is a known safety related issue and has been reported to Mercedes Benz usa, llc. Several times, why has Mercedes Benz not initiated a recall. I hope the company is not waiting for a disaster to happen. I would appreciate if NHTSA could please investigate the issue.

- Fort Lee, NJ, USA

Nov 122012

C230 6-cyl

The car is going into limp mode when you stop and than go. You pull over and turn the car off it resets the computer and it works fine for couple of days. The issue been going on for over a year now.

- Pensacola, FL, USA