2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300:

2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Oct 032015

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. While driving approximately 30 mph, the fuel gauge failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V303000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Indianopolois, IN, USA

Sep 302015

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch or the computer system needed to be replaced or updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering ignition and lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- New Jersey City, NJ, USA

Sep 122015

C300

Same issue as literally thousands of others are complaining of...car fails to start due to either a faulty steering wheel ignition lock or eis not recognizing the key and therefore not starting. It has happened twice to me, dealer service advisor knew immediately and even guessed at the model and year of my vehicle, which tells me that this is a prevalent issue, supported by the thousands of posts I have read on various forums. This is a potential safety nightmare waiting to happen, similar in nature, if not scope, to the GM ignition switch recall! the same thing could happen if the failure occurs at highway speed.

- Marshfield, MO, USA

Aug 192015

C300

Last week 8/11/2015 I drove to the lumbar store, parked the car and upon returning to the car, the key turned completely to the right, the dash lights came on, the ringing noise sounded, but the car did not turn over, nothing happened. The dash read remove the key from ignition. I called my mechanic with the issue and he said use your key fob to lock and unlock the car; that did not work, still nothing. I called the tow company the battery was fully charged ( I purchased it last year 2014). The tow company disabled the cable to the battery waited 30 seconds and reconnected the battery, still the key would not turn the engine over. Because the lumber yard locked their gate at 5 pm the car was scheduled to be towed the next morning. The car started the next morning, I allowed the tow company to tow it anyway and have their mechanic assess the problem. Thorough-out the day the tow mechanic attempted to turn the car on and determined the car would intermittently start. The next day I drove the car to a foreign car service shop, they stated the eis system is not always recognizing the key and only a mb dealership can fix ignition related problems. I called and got a quote, the eis part and labor will cost me $872.31 includes taxes (assuming this is the problem). As a note, I used my other key and still had the same problem. This morning I used the key I always use and it started. Off to the mb dealership.

- N Charleston , SC, USA

Aug 152015

C300

Car has faulty steering lock and has to be replaced at a high expense. This seems to be a very common problem as I learned visiting various websites and forums.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Dec 122014

C300 6-cyl

These parts pose a risk vehicle safety and may exist on other vehicles of this design and manufacture. Please review air bags, steering lock. Electrical main system. And tires used on this car.....updated 03/15/16 updated 03/17/16.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 052015

C300

Car would not start, locked in park. Battery checked ok. Alternate key did not start car. Appears to be electronic ignition switch -- which will require replacement. Noted many online forum similar complaints, along with the below mbusa campaign. Campaign no. 2008020003, March 2008 subject: Model 204, model year 2008 replace electronic ignition switch daimler ag has determined that the eis may malfunction preventing the electric steering lock and the central locking from functioning. Dealers will replace the eis on the affected vehicles during the next workshop visit.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 032015

C300

The key locks and unlocks the doors the lights come on and the dash lights up. You can insert and turn the key but the car will not start. The stering wheel is locked and it is stuck in park. I tried power jumping and it did nothing, I didn't think the battery was the problem but had it checked anyways. The battery checked out fine. I check the fuses that are associated with the starter and all was fine also. Only thing left was get it towed to the Mercedes dealership, found out that the steering wheel lock issue is a common thing with my car model, eis failure seems increasingly common on 2008 models for some reason.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 022015

C300

When I left the gym my car wouldn't not start. I had to walk home and have my car towed. Battery is fine but the ignition won't turnover. Bad eis just like the other hundreds of people complain about.

- Princeton, IN, USA

Jul 232015

C300

Car will not start. Very common for this type of problem. The key will not start the engine

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jul 032015

C300

Eis/ steering wheel lock failure. Left stranded for 4 hours.

- Marshfield, WI, USA

Jul 062015

C300 6-cyl

On July 6, 2015, I left work to go home and my car would not start. This is the third time in three weeks I have had to have my car towed from work due to it not starting. However, this time I had it towed to the Mercedes Benz dealer and was informed I have a faulty eis system that needs $2100 in repairs. I immediately informed them that the car has been shutting down on me for the past three weeks and I don't believe I am the only person having this problem. After being given a loaner car, until I can decide to have the repair work initiated, I found out through online research that Mercedes Benz has known of this problem and has not offered to recall any of the cars affected in the 2008 C300 class or any other class of mb with the same eis problems. It's sad that we allow them to sell us these cars and they wont honor our patronage enough to fix them when the break down as a fault of design by mb. It is absolutely astonishing the number of complaints with this same electrical issues that plague mb C-class cars. The only reason no one has died so far, is because once they cut off you can't start them to drive anywhere..and that leads to safety issues as well!! I heard that some of the electrical problems can be covered under the cam solenoid recall mb has. I plan on checking with my dealer in regards to this on tomorrow...updated 08/24/16

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 032015

C300

Same as many others, steering lock, wouldn't id key, wouldn't start. Eis problem I believe. $980 to fix with only 35K miles! this is a frequent problem according to the forums I have visited.

- Jamestown, NC, USA

Jun 042015

C300

The electronic steering lock just shutoff. The car came out of comfort while I was driving, the C-in the box-just disappeared off the cluster and I knew this is what happened because it happened three times them started up two days later. This has been a common problem with Mercedes C300 as I read so many complaints and posts.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 212015

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that when the key was turned in the ignition switch, the vehicle failed to start without warning. The contact mentioned that the radio, the headlights, and other electrical functions operated but the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000. The VIN was not available.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Jun 102015

C300

This is the second time this has happened. First time I go to start my 2008 C300 and it will not start, will not shift into neutral, no windows will go up or down. I am a registered nurse and was working home health. Was stuck at a patients house and not able to see any other patients for the rest of the week. Took to Mercedes dealership and told it was the eis. So $1200 dollars later it was fixed. Again 2 years later the exact same thing happens and what do you know, eis and $1200 repair again. Even the guy from the Mercedes service department said this is a very common problem with this year and model. Mercedes should be ashamed to charge so much for a car and not stand behind their work. If this is a common problem it should be a recall. I will never own another Mercedes as long as I live. My wifes first Kia was more reliable than this car.

- Taylors , SC, USA

Jun 082015

C300

I came home from work on 6/8/2015 and later returned to my car to meet a friend for dinner. The doors unlocked and the lights came on but the car will not start. The steering wheel turns but the car will not start. I have tried both keys, checked th battery. After speaking with my mechanic I have found out that is is the ignition switch. I will have to have the car towed to the dealership. I have seen on the Benz forum that this is a common problem that Mercedes will not take ownership of. I will never by a Mercedes again.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jul 012014

C300

My lcd navigation screen does not turn on anymore. It randomly flashes when I'm driving and causes a distraction. After some research, it seems like an extremely common issue with many C300 models of the 2008 year. Some owners have reported smoke coming out of the corner of the screen.

- Chino, CA, USA

May 022011

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that the key was stuck in the lock position and the key was not programmed to the ignition switch. In addition, the steering wheel failed. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine ignition lock fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was not available.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 022015

C300

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300. While the vehicle was parked, the key was stuck in the lock position and the key was not programmed to the ignition. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- Simivalley , CA, USA