2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercedes-Benz E320:

2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 202006

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that the fuel gauge and the speedometer gauge displayed inaccurate readings on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V303000 (electrical system). The dealer did not recode the scn, but rather emptied the fuel tank and replaced the fuel and the fuel lever sensor. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was also not included in NHTSA action number: EA13003 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact reported the safety concern with the air bag sensor, which was not included in PE: 10017 (air bags and electrical system). The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer more than twice, but the failures persist. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Oct 142014

E320

This car has only 43,000 miles with perfect maintenance. It has never been hit. The car is leaking fuel from the tank for no obvious reasons. The dealer says that the there was a design problem and the tank needs to be replaced for $2000+. it is a major safety issue.

- Santa Teresa, NM, USA

Sep 222014

• 1,135,334 miles
Had to spend thousands of dollars to replace faulty gas tank. Gas pooled under back passenger seats that was very dangerous. When I googled "Mercedes gas tank leak" I saw many others had the same problem. Why have the defective, dangerous, plastic tanks have not been recalled.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Apr 012013

E320 6-cyl

At some point after owning the vehicle, I noticed a strong gas smell coming from inside and outside my car. It was so strong that it permeated the rooms of my home closest to the garage where I park my car. I later realized the strong smell occurred after filling up my tank, and diminished significantly after the tank reached about half full. Since the fumes are greatest when my tank is more than half full, I live with filling it half way or less. When I happen to forget and fill the tank to capacity, I have to park the car outside my garage, and drive with the windows open. The fumes inside the car are unbearable, and I am concerned for my health and the health of my son. Several months ago, I asked a Mercedes Benz dealership if there was anything they could do. I never heard back. I called again a few days ago. I told them the issue, and asked what the possible problems could be, and what the approximate repair cost will be. I was told they've seen a couple of problems that cause the fuel smell: A leak in some part of the fuel system (can't remember exactly what); and, the gas tank itself. Depending on the cause, the repair could run anywhere from $600+ to $2500. Note: Date of incident and vehicle mileage are approximations. I've been living with this awhile. I just can't remember how long.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 262014

E320

Filled the car up and a strong gas smell filled the garage and my home. We moved the car to sit outside of the home, but the fumes/smell lingered for hours. This made us dizzy and nauseous.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 142014

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E-320. The contact stated that gasoline fuel fumes emitted in and around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was repaired but the remedy was unknown to the contact. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,454.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 222014

E320 6-cyl

Strong smell of fuel inside cabin of car after a fill up. Very dangerous situation.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 052014

E320 6-cyl

Very very strong fuel smell inside of car after a fill up.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Apr 162014

E320 6-cyl

When filled up the gas tank with gas a very strong smell of gas will be smelled every time when parked. Also, in our house garage.

- National City, CA, USA

Aug 082014

E320 6-cyl

Began noticing gasoline smell in garage. Traced smell to the car. The smell has now intensified that I can smell fuel as soon as I exit the vehicle. The smell is now prevalent regardless of the amount of gas in the tank! it smells really strong in the driver side rear wheel well. I can no longer park the car in my garage for fear of fire. The smell is now becoming noticeable in the cabin as well. My understanding is NHTSA is aware of the problem and Mercedes Benz will not acknowledge a design flaw. I suppose I or some other owner will have to go up in flames before anyone decides to do the right thing. How sad.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 152010

E320 6-cyl

Strong odor of fuel inside and outside vehicle, specifically after refueling. Leak visible under rear seats and leakage outside vehicle.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Dec 212013

• 7,752,100 miles
I brought my 2005 Mercedes E320 [purchased Oct. 2014] in for an oil change Jan. 30, 2014. I mentioned to the service person a noise [like something broke] I heard while out of town visiting. He changed my oil and also found/replace a broken rear suspension spring. This occurred within 3 months of purchase. Repair cost: $551.17. My second incident occured Feb. 19th. I noticed a puddle of fluid underneath the vehicle [not sure what kind of fluid] and immediately brought the car back to the dealer for service. I was told the transmission servo solenoid seals required replacing. Repair cost: $157.84. The third incident was reported Apr. 21, 2014. I noted an increasingly bad odor inside the car since the first day of purchase, but wasn't sure exactly what it was as I was still trying to identify it. I finally realized it was gas I was smelling [intermittantly] inside the vehicle for the last six months. It turned out to be leaking fuel from the left fuel pump seal (lfps) underneath the rear seat. Repair cost: $161.31. The fuel odor got worse after the replacing the lfps. Most noticeably after filling the car with gas. I've also identified gasoline leaking from the drivers' side rear quarter that puddled by the tire. My feeling at this time, repairs may be onging for my E320, that I really like.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Mar 242014

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E320. The contact stated that the fuel gauge would erroneously indicate that there was no fuel in the vehicle after refueling. The dealer replaced the fuel sensor and floater however, the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacture was alerted about the failure but declined to provide the contact any assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 242014

E320 6-cyl

On 02/24/2014 the emission light came on. The code was pulled that informed that the car had a leak some where in the fuel system. The car was taken to Mercedes Benz of South Mississippi, they informed me that there was a leak in the upper fuel tank under the back seat, and the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The report said: To replace cracked fuel tank evaporation system has a leak. The repair would be $2100 to replace the fuel tank.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Apr 022012

E320

Had to replace my gas tank twice due to smell of gas permeating the inside of the car. It is fine now but had to have it replaced twice to fix the problem.

- Peachtree Corners, GA, USA

Jul 222012

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E-320. The contact stated that the rear seat was filled with gasoline. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where the contact was informed that there was an issue with the fuel pump. The fuel pump was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 192013

E320 6-cyl

There is a very strong smell of gasoline in the cabin of the car after I fill the gas tank. The smell persists until about one-eighth to one-quarter of the tank has been used then dissipates. I have read where this is a common problem for this class and year of Mercedes. I just purchased the car. Is there a recall to solve this problem" if so, is there a reference number" if not, is there a service bulletin issued by your Agency or by Mercedes to its dealers to fix the problem. Mercedes should be compelled to fix this. The gas fumes are nearly incapacitating and certainly impair safe driving.

- Oro Valley , AZ, USA

Dec 242013

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E-320. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the left fuel sending unit was leaking and as result, the sending unit needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 115,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 152013

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E-320. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed a strong gasoline odor. The contact inspected the rear seats and noticed fuel leaking under the seats. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 022013

E320

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes Benz E-320. The contact stated that after refueling, gasoline fumes were emitted in and around the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 95,000 and the current mileage was 100,300.

- Bowie, MD, USA