2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jun 212015

E350

After filling up the car with gasoline, I can smell the distinct odor of gasoline from outside the vehicle around the rear passenger door area (driver's side). I believe that fuel is leaking from the fuel filter sender unit, which is located under the backseat. A new story showing the problem is here: www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/Mercedes-owners-find-gasoline-pooling-backseat/ndbzm/. Mercedes is replacing these components as described in NHTSA action number : EA13003. I went to a Mercedes dealership (downtown los angeles motors) and showed the service consultant a print out of NHTSA action number : EA13003. He explained that my vehicle is not covered by this action number. I called Mercedes corporate and was told that my vehicle is not covered. I believe that my vehicle has the same sender unit that is described in NHTSA action number : EA13003, so I do not understand why Mercedes is claiming my vehicle is exempt from this important safety fix. I would like Mercedes to replace the sender unit and any components that are leaking gasoline.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jun 052015

E350

The E350 Mercedes Benz has a defected seal gasket on the top of the gas tank and when the tank is filled, fumes and gas will exit this opening in the fuel tank. The fumes are very strong when parked in the garage and Mercedes Benz has acknowledged this defect in their tanks and the suit has been settled. The Benz dealers will not honor the repairs because it is not VIN specific and states the my vehicle is not covered. The Mercedes Benz has extended the warranty on these vehicles for this purpose and it states these details in their letter to all Benz owners. The letter states all years 2004 to 2009 E350 vehicles but does not give VIN details. Please advise what my next step will be. The NHTSA action number : EA13003 which explains in details what this vehicle defect is and how Mercedes Benz will repair as an extension of warranty.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Jul 012014

E350 6-cyl

As per your website you closed this investigation on the basis of Mercedes notifying you that it will extend the original warranty coverage on covered fuel tank components in E class vehicles in my 2003-2009. However when I reached out to mb-usa they informed me that my vehicle was not covered under this warranty, which seems to contrary to what you have published on your website. Can you please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

Jan 272015

E350 6-cyl

There is a serious safety issue with 2006 Mercedes-Benz E class (mbec) because of a manufacturer's and/or design defect which causes this vehicle to not go into proper gear and/or stall suddenly putting the public at risk. I barely escaped being smashed into by oncoming traffic while making a routine left hand turn into a gas station because my mbec was stuck in gear and did not accelerate as it was manufactured and designed to do but rather sputtered at less than 5 miles per hour (mph). The only reason I was not T-boned and likely seriously injured along with other people was because the other drivers swerved into oncoming traffic causing those drivers to also swerve. Miraculously no one was injured, this time. Also, the reason why I was turning into the gas station was because I was forced to get off the highway because my mbec would not change gear after I got on the highway and was approaching red-lining at and it seemed like the engine might blow. The tiptronic also failed during this malfunction. I had the authorized mb dealer that I have used since I purchased my mbec pickup my vehicle to look into this issue and my advisor told me I needed a new balance shaft because the one in my vehicle had prematurely worn (even though I have always stringently followed my mb advisor's suggestions) and it would cost roughly $6,500. S/he also said this occurs in roughly 15-20% of '06 mbec. But mb would not fix this safety defect unless I paid. Worse yet, my advisor never made me aware of this serious safety issue even though S/he previously knew or should have known and as a result put the public at risk by not enabling me to resolve this serious safety issue with my model year vehicle until the occurrence of a near catastrophe. There should be a safety recall now that this safety defect has come to light and unless there is, the public will remain at serious risk.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Oct 102014

E350 6-cyl

After filling gas at the shell gas station I got on to the 101 freeway and suddenly the insides of the vehicle started smelling gasoline, it was so bad that I had to open the windows and pull over. I felt like I will pass out because of the intensity of the smell.

Feb 162015

E350 6-cyl

Strong odor of gasoline fuel inside and outside of the vehicle after refilling the tank. Odor went away after driving some distance thereby lowering the fuel level in the tank. M-B of tampa and mb of usa refused to make warranty repair fuel leakage problem due my pzev vehicle (with option 917) was sold in Florida (not in 10 states which have "0 emission requirements"). as per summary of O.D.I. "in letter dated September 4, 2014, Mercedes has notified Agency (ODI NHTSA) that it will extend the original warranty coverage to 15 years and unlimited mileage on "covered fuel tank components" in E-class vehicles in my 2003-2009 and cls-class vehicles in my 2006-2011." Looks-like Mercedes dropped out of the general list of the my 2003 through 2009 E-class all pzev vehicles (with option 917) manufactured for sale or lease in the United States, but sold to customers by M-B official dealers in the states, which do not have "0-emission" requirements.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Mar 102015

E350 6-cyl

I was first owner of this Benz 2006 E350. It was never involved in any accident. I typically parked the car outside garage. However, after I moved the car inside my garage a few days ago, I smelled gas. So I lifted up 2nd row seat, uncovered the covering-piece on driver's side, I saw fuel delivery system with two connectors, one for sensor and one for power supply. I saw the area around power connector is wet. It smells gas. Obviously, the gas leak was from the top of fuel delivery system (or top of the fuel filter housing). I'm glad I did this investigation tonight. I plan to see a Benz dealer tomorrow in laguna niguel, ca, where the dealer told me it is not covered under warranty, even after I hold him that my E350 is under Benz 2006 - pzev 15 years or 150,000 mi emission related warranty.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 092015

E350

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. Upon refueling the vehicle, there was a strong smell of fuel outside and inside the vehicle. When the vehicle was parked, the strong fumes were extreme. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel sending unit was leaking and needed to be replaced. The dealer was not able to determine the location or the source of the leak. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Oct 122013

E350 6-cyl

When I fill up the gas tank and start driving I can smell gas inside of vehicle, I looked under car and the rear drivers side is wet and smells like gas. Kind of scared that the car might start on fire. What can I do" is there a recall? I have never had this happen on any vehicle I owned before. What will happen if I get in a accident"

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jan 202015

E350

Noticed gas leaking onto rear tire during refueling. Dealer dropped tank and found leaking fuel tank neck.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Dec 122014

E350 6-cyl

Gas leaking cannot be fixed might lead to fire or explosion because of gas evaporated stronger day after day.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 102014

E350 6-cyl

The car was smelling like gasoline inside and outside especially after filling up the full tank. When I lifted the back seat and opened the cover where the fuel pump is there was a gasoline everywhere overflowing the fuel pump. There were also marks of gasoline on the bottom of the car (left rear side), on the plastic and parts of the exhaust system. This is a health concern for all passengers breathing the air filled with gasoline fumes and also a fire hazard in case the gasoline leaking outside the tank gets in contact with a spark on the road. I took the car to the Mercedes Benz dealership and they said it would cost me $3,800 to fix the problem. They would change the fuel pump and the entire tank. I tried calling the corporate to let them know that I have read other similar complaints and that this is a safety issue but they refused to help and said its due to the age of the car.

- Palm Beach Gardens , FL, USA

Dec 012014

E350 6-cyl

Gas fumes and gas leak after filling tank. Dealer states car needs a new fuel tank, fuel line and sensors and estimates repairs of $2700.

Oct 152014

E350 6-cyl

I filled the tank before going on vacation. Car was left parked on my driveway. When I came back there was a strong smell of gas inside the car. The gas tank is under the back seat. Took vehicle to the dealer to fix. They replaced the tank inner module, cable harness, auxiliary pump, seal ring and breather pipe. Sending unit was leaking large amounts of fuel. Removed and replaced left and right side sending units. Modules in fuel tank and seals for the same. The problem was not fixed. I have to keep the fuel tank at less than 3/4 tank for it not to smell. Very concerned safety wise. For the amount of money I spent they could have replaced the entire fuel tank unit.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 122014

E350

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that while refueling, the fuel started to leak back out. Also, strong fuel fumes emitted at the rear and inside the vehicle rear seat. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 144,500.

- Pearland , TX, USA

Nov 212014

E350 6-cyl

Leaking fuel tank. Vehicle is excellent condition, very well maintained, with only 65,000 miles. I took my car into the Mercedes dealership for its regular maintenance service. I had just filled the gas tank prior to taking it to the dealership. The technician noticed a strong gas smell around the car. Upon inspection, the dealer mechanic noted a leak in the top of the gas tank, and recommends replacing the fuel tank. Other than this defect, the fuel tank is in good physical condition. I called a number of local Mercedes mechanics for price comparison and this appears to be a "known" problem with this make and model. The repair is approximately $2,000! due to the safety issue involved, I have no other choice but to replace the fuel tank.

- Lafayette, CO, USA

Nov 012011

E350 6-cyl

Vehicle has fuel smell inside and out like there is a leak. Odor worst after fill up.

- Tullahoma , TN, USA

Nov 032014

E350

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that gasoline fuel fumes emitted inside and around the exterior of the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that fuel was leaking out the fuel tank. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician diagnosed that the fuel sender unit was leaking. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 042014

E350 6-cyl

A fuel tank leak was identified by an independent Mercedes mechanic. Filling up the car with fuel and parking in garage overnight, always produced a significant gas odor when returning to the garage. It has always done this (second owner at about 25-30kk miles), and I assumed it was just a quirk of filling the tank. I have always serviced the car at a mb dealer, but recently want to a local well recommended independent mechanic for another issue and he asked me if I knew I had a fuel leak. I said no, and he said do you ever smell gas, and clearly this was identified and had stored codes in the car system that I was unaware of. He indicated that the sending unit needed to be replaced and crack repaired and it was a safety issue. I called mb usa, and they indicated they were unaware of any of other complaints to this nature. When I questioned why the dealer would never have identified this, they indicated that they would never instruct their dealers in any way regarding an issue like this and the dealer has no incentive to not identify the issue and I should discuss with them. I proceeded to have the repair done by the independent mechanic. I understand that fuel would pool over the gas tank from the leak.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Oct 152014

E350

After getting out of my vehicle, I noticed a strong smell of fuel coming from the rear bottom of my vehicle. There is a large leak somewhere in the fuel system. This now occurs every time I get near the vehicle but is strongest after the vehicle has been driven. It now also smells like fuel in the vehicle once the vehicle is stopped. It is not so noticeable when driving and the ac is on. The smell is so strong that I think it would ignite if somebody walks by with a cigarette. The car is now parked until I am able to fix it. Too dangerous to drive.

- Spring, TX, USA