2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 222015

E350 6-cyl

NHTSA action number: PE12001.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 062014

E350 6-cyl

After filling fuel tank and parking car in garage, a strong gasoline smell filled the garage and house. Had to remove car from garage. This happens if I fill the tank. I do not overfill. If I don't fill the tank I don't have this problem. After driving the car around 50 miles the smell goes away.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Nov 072014

E350 6-cyl

Very strong gasoline odor inside and outside automobile, strongest after refueling.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 052013

E350 6-cyl

There is an extremely strong and sickening gasoline odor that comes from the car, especially when parked in the garage or an enclosed space. The odor arises from inside the car, on the driver's side in the back. This odor occurs every time after the tank is filled up.

- Grenloch, NJ, USA

Aug 112014

E350 6-cyl

Just bought the car a month ago, and had Mercedes Benz of orange park put a new engine in. Just filled up the tank and noticed a strong smell of gasoline, so I took it back to Mercedes Benz, who informed me that the top of the gas tank was leaking as a result of a defective seal on the top of the tank and is a well known issue. This is a serious safety issue since gas is in the passenger compartment.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Apr 072014

E350 6-cyl

I filled the fuel tank and parked the vehicle in my garage. A couple of hours later I went into the garage and discovered a strong gas smell. I immediately contacted the gas company and told them I suspected a gas leak. The technician came out and tested the appliances in the garage. After the appliances tested negative the technician surmised that the smell was possibly emitting from my vehicle. The following day I took the vehicle into the Mercedes Benz dealer and was advised that there was a fuel tank leak. The service advisor gave me a very costly estimate for the repairs. I elected to have the vehicle repaired at a private mechanic. Unfortunately the issue was not completely resolved and the vehicle still emits a fuel smell when the tank is full. I am disappointed that the dealer did not admit that this was a manufacture issue and offer to make the repairs without cause. I feel this is a safety concern.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Mar 192014

E350 6-cyl

There is a strong gasoline odor after we fill up the tank. The odor is both inside and outside. The vehicle has been back to the dealer 4 times.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Jul 012014

E350 6-cyl

Fuel around gas sending unit on top of gas tank, fumes in passenger cabin, wondering if there is recall. Found on internet E-class Mercedes from 2003-2008 were having a problem with gas leaking around sending unit.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 212014

E350 6-cyl

Gas odor from left rear side. And inside the car. No visible leak. Car runs fine. When the dealer was contacted, they were aware of the issue of the gas leak from fuel/pump/filter or sending unit but would not fix it at Mercedes expense.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 122014

E350 6-cyl

Fuel leaks and a strong odor of gasoline both inside and outside of vehicle, particularly after refueling.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Sep 022013

E350 6-cyl

Strong smell of gasoline occurs after filling the fuel tank. This persists until the car is driven approximately 50 miles. Dealer suggests that this may be a result of fuel tank leaks or bad senders and is quoting as much as $3000 for replacement of the fuel tank.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

May 072012

E350 6-cyl

After refueling, I noticed a strong odor of gasoline in the garage where I park my car. After driving the vehicle a few miles and parking in the garage, the odor was no longer there. I started noticing a pattern that whenever I refueled the vehicle, there was a strong odor of gasoline in the garage that dissipated once the vehicle was driven a few miles. Right after I started noticing the gas smell, the vehicle check engine light came on. I recently had the vehicle checked by an authorized Mercedes Benz service center who stated gas tank has crack at the top and is leaking fuel. The entire tank and all the components will need to be replaced at $3,000. I mentioned that there are a lot of other vehicles with this problem and a couple of class action lawsuits and it appears that the vehicle's gas tank is defective. The service technician refused to repair the components under any campaign or recall.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 152014

E350 6-cyl

After filling fuel tank, strong gasoline smell inside cabin of car, local dealer said fuel pump and sender need replacing and maybe fuel tank if pump replacement does not solve problem. Fuel is leaking and pooling on top of fuel pump access panel just underneath rear seat. This sounds like a dangerous situation. Any reasonable person would not consider this normal wear and tear of moving parts and, in my opinion should be worthy of a recall.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jun 142006

E350 6-cyl

(NHTSA action# PE12001) I recently purchased 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 in Feb 2014. I am the second owner. The first owner has kept and serviced the car regularly and I have the records. The car has never been in any crash. The date of occurrence and miles are approximate and based on the first owner's best of knowledge. I personally experienced it on March 3, 2014 and at 89122 miles. After purchasing the I filled the gas tank. I left the car in the garage overnight and when I went into the garage in the morning, my garage smelled like someone has spilled gas in the garage. I checked the garage floor under the car but there was no visible leak. I called the previous owner and he told me it is a common problem and the smell goes away after you drive the car and use up some gas. The gas smell is so strong that I was worried to turn on any electricity. I am worried that one day it is going to cause fire in my garage. I have now experienced this twice. After researching I found that it is a common problem for every Mercedes Benz cars with 211 engines. It is sad that mercedez Benz will not fix the fuel sending unit on their own. What are they waiting for" someone to die"

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Apr 052011

E350 6-cyl

Strong odor of gasoline both inside and outside of the vehicle right after after refueling. After replacing multiple seals same situation we adopted a workaround not to fill the tank in its entirety to prevent the strong smell.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 122014

E350 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the fuel pump was faulty however, the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 148,000.

- Centerpoint , AL, USA

Feb 262014

E350 6-cyl

I filled up the car and drove home you can smell gas outside at the gas station like it was leaking somewhere, but when I got home the smell was so loud that I was afraid to park it in the garage. Not only the smell was bad, but I can't tell if it is filled all the way or not because the gas gauge doesn't go to the top, it is about 3 notches from full, but all the gas pump it stops that it is full. I went online, and it stated that it was a recall for E350 and others for the fuel filters that leak and may cause a fire, but it is for 2011 & 2012. It should be for all Mercedes Benz because this same problem is happening for older car as well.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Dec 062012

E350 6-cyl

Fuel leak top of fuel pump raw fuel odor in car. Replaced both fuel pumps 12/06/12 problem recurred 2/23/24.

- Duncan, SC, USA

Feb 202014

E350 6-cyl

I recently bought a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 with 84000+ miles on it, in very good condition. Upon filling my gas tank for the second time, and returning home for the night, I parked in my garage and went about my business. The next morning I noticed a strong smell of gasoline around the car. I pulled the rear seat off, and discovered that there was a small pool of gasoline in the area of the fuel sending unit. Apparently this is not uncommon, and the NHTSA has already initiated an investigation (NHTSA action# PE12001). As far as I know, this car was serviced regularly by the previous owner and was never in an accident. I have no reason to believe that this isn't the sending unit that came with the car originally.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Aug 312011

E350 6-cyl

Prior to incident date, I began to smell a strong gasoline smell that filled the garage. The smell got progressively worse so I took it to ewing autohaus in plano, Texas on 08-31-11. The car was diagnosed as having a fuel leak and needed a new fuel tank that would cost $2000 to fix. I questioned why a new fuel tank was needed since the car had never been in an accident. I was not given an answer and refused to have them fix it. I was later told that the gasoline was leaking from the top and as long as the tank was not completely full the gasoline would not leak. I took the car into Mercedes Benz park place dallas for a transmission issue in January of 2013 and I asked them to check the fuel tank and they diagnosed the fuel tank also as having a leak and needed to be replace. This repair would cost $3000. I declined this repair also and stated to them that I felt that the car had a faulty fuel tank as well as a faulty transmission and was I was extremely upset having to smell gasoline inside and outside of the car if the tank was a little bit overfilled.

- Highland Village, TX, USA