2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Feb 102014

E350 6-cyl

Strong gas smell in and around the car. Especially when freshly refueled. At the Mercedes Benz dealership both of the fuel sensors were found to be leaking. I was advised to not drive the car one more mile and get repairs done instantly.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Jan 132014

E350 6-cyl

Car is leaking fuel with strong odor in garage. This happened after normal gas fill up. Car is not driven much.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Nov 012011

E350 6-cyl

In the previous months leading up to March 2012, I, along with my family, started to smell a strong odor of fuel in the interior of our Mercedes Benz E 350W. The smell was so strong that when riding in the automobile, we had to drive with the windows down fearing of what could happen to me and my family if there was a spark from any part of the engine or underneath the automobile. At a point during that bad experience with that automobile, I could only fill the fuel tank half full without smelling the strong odor of gasoline inside the vehicle. I thought it was now time to get some professional service and advice. In January, 2012, I took my automobile to atlanta classic cars, Inc. In duluth Georgia 30098. After the first inspection, I was told fuel sending units leak fuel. The next visit, March 2012, both sending units were replaced. Before the next visit, the fuel fumes continued. The next visit, April 3, 2012, the fuel pump was replaced due to intermittent open circuit. The next visit, April 9, 2012; "the team leader found a slight trail of fuel residue which may be where fuel vapors are coming from part of the fuel tank." The next and last visit, April 12, 2012 the fuel tank was replaced. Not trusting the work performed by that dealership and the time it took to find that problem, my wife and I had no other choice but to trade the automobile. Maintaining ownership of that automobile was much too risky and dangerous for my family. Dealing with that dealerships service advisor was much too difficult!!!

- Conyers, GA, USA

Nov 192008

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that the vehicle had a strong fuel gas odor that is coming from inside and outside of the vehicle. The contact stated the strongest gas odor is coming from the driver's side. The vehicle had not been taken to an dealer for diagnostic or repairs. The contact that the dealer replaced the fuel tank when the vehicle was under warranty when the failure occurred the first time. The manufacture had not been made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.lj

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 172012

E350 6-cyl

In 2012 the car began having a strong fuel odor after fill-up that went away once the tank was down to a half to 3/4 full. Took to dealer and they said the "fuel tank was leaking at plastic mounting weld". I was charged to replace the fuel tank. Now the smell is starting to come back again, so the problem appears to be coming back. I did a google search on this issue and it appears many others are having this same problem and you are investigating.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Jan 162013

E350 6-cyl

Strong smell of gasoline when car is filled with gas.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jan 242014

E350 6-cyl

I've noticed strong gasoline odor from inside and outside of the car. Did an inspection and saw a leak on the fuel pump.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 222014

E350 6-cyl

After fueling up a very strong gas smell stays in the car. It was almost filled up but not topped off. The smell remains for several days. The mechanic states it very expensive to drop tank to look for a leak. It is not safe to drive but is the only mean of transportation to work.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Jan 122014

E350 6-cyl

While driving 70 on hwy, check engine light came on, so I immediately stopped and called a tow truck. Mechanic's diagnosis was that the tumble flap was broken in the air intake manifold. The only fix is replacing the entire manifold for $2000 plus labor, tax and gaskets. The flaps are small and could be an inexpensive fix but all dealerships that I called confirmed that the only fix available is to replace the entire air intake manifold. Research tells me that this is a very common problem on this and many other models within the same years.

- Southlake , TX, USA

Aug 012013

E350 6-cyl

My 2006 Mercedes E350 smells of strong gas fumes every time I fill the tank. I never top off the tank and nothing ever spills out but the smell is very strong. The gas fumes are present for several days making my garage smell of gas. The problem seems to get better once the fuel level reaches about a half tank. I am worried about a fire or someone breathing the fumes in my garage. I have read numerous stories on the internet about this issue with various Mercedes models.

- Southlake , TX, USA

Nov 252013

E350 6-cyl

Whenever my car filled up (not over fill) with gasoline, the strong gasoline smell will last a few days. The car was investigated by Mercedes dealer, they found fuel puddled at sender underneath the rear seat on left side. They stated that the car is not safe for use at this time due to fire hazard. However, they won't fix it as manufacture defect and would charge me for $1,300 and I didn't repair it since it is too expensive. I also the fuel sending unit is not the part that need regular service and should not be ware out. Mercedes Benz need to issue a recall on this problem.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 112013

E350 6-cyl

2006 Mercedes Benz E350. Consumer writes in regards to gasoline storage and propulsion malfunction. The consumer stated while re-fueling a near-empty tank earlier this month, the filler pipe splashed back gasoline, which pooled around the filler cap. When the consumer took the vehicle in for service, he was informed a new fuel tank was needed to fix the problem. He was quoted a price of $1500.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 012014

E350 6-cyl

For the last 3 months after filling the fuel tank a incredibly strong gasoline smell would fill the passenger cabin. This would only occur when the fuel tank is filled to capacity. Upon investigation, I removed the rear seat and access plate to see the top of the fuel pump/sending unit. With the seat removed and the top of the fuel tank visible, I filled the car with fuel. With a full tank, raw gasoline seeped through a small crack in the plastic top of the fuel pump sending unit assembly and filled the area on top of the fuel tank. Upon further investigation, the insulation inside the passenger cabin under the seat appeared to be saturated with raw fuel. In retrospec, if a spark would have occurred in the car, there is no question the car would have exploded.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Jun 032013

E350 6-cyl

Strong gasoline odor after filling fuel tank.

- Harahan, LA, USA

Jan 302013

E350 6-cyl

Every time that I fill my gas tank there is a strong smell of gasoline.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Nov 222013

E350 6-cyl

Each time after fill up the gasoline (no over fill), I have to smell the fuel smell for one or two days. I had this problem since 2009, but the odor is getting extremely strong. I went to a local Mercedes deal for inspection, they charged me $175 and insisted that it is not recall item. The inspection shows: 73412 fuel sender leaking fuel, vehicle not safe for use at this time due to fire hazard, inspected vehicle found gasoline leaking from rear of vehicle, removed rear seat and inspection cover for fuel sender, found fuel puddled at sender. I think the leaking is caused by defected parts which suppose to last life time long. Mercedes should recall this item.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jul 012013

E350 6-cyl

Hello I am the owner of a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 and I am experiencing strong odor of gasoline in the cabin causing me headaches and blurred vision while driving. Additionally there is significant leakage of gasoline on to the pavement.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 202010

E350 6-cyl

My 2006 Mercedes Benz E-350 continue to have strong odor of gasoline inside. The car has been in the shop several times but the dealer refuses to fix it.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Oct 162013

E350 6-cyl

Based on news reports from earlier this year, I understand that the NHTSA is investigating complaints of fuel leaks that are common with Mercedes Benz E-class models between 2003 - 2009. I am writing to submit a complaint about my wife's 2006 E 350 that was just serviced for a fuel leak. For sometime she noticed a gas smell after refueling. On 10/16/13 when she refueled the fumes in the car were very strong and did not go away so she took the car to the nearby dealership for service the next morning. The dealership identified the problem as a fuel leak. The leak was severe enough that gas had leaked into the cushions of the back seat where our 3 year old toddler typically sits. The dealership identified the problem as a "safety concern". I agreed. I also expressed my concern to the dealership and mbusa about the gas that leaked into the seat cushion and that the leak seems to be a common problem with their E-class models. Although we have paid for the completed repair, I requested that the repair be covered by mbusa. Because no recall exists, mbusa does not acknowledge the leak as a defect and is currently reviewing my request for an out-of-warranty repair coverage, including the replacement of the rear seat cushion. My wife, oldest son and I have previously been diagnosed with asthma. I am concerned that the fumes that continue to linger will threaten asthma-related complications. I am happy to provide additional information upon request.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Sep 022013

E350 6-cyl

When the car's gas tank was filled, there was a distinct odor of gasoline when the car was parked in the garage. With a bedroom close by and an HVAC system above, we thought this was unsafe and needed to be fixed. We were told that the gas tank needed to be replaced and this was a common problem, but there had been no recall. Mercedes ended up charging us a discounted price of $1476 for the repair, but I think there should be a recall and Mercedes should have paid the full cost of repair.

- Irving, TX, USA