2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 012013

E350

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle, there was a strong odor of fuel present. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 012014

E350 6-cyl

I purchased this used car and parked in my garage-came out about an hour after parking and noticed a very strong raw gasoline smell coming from the drivers rear inside the compartment. I removed the back seat and the fuel tank seal is leaking. Took the car to a repair shop to confirm and they agreed that the fuel pump, sending unit and tank seal are leaking fuel and are an explosion/fire hazard-need to correct this asap. They told me that this is a very common problem on this model car and that they have a lot of people come in with gasoline leaking from the same place. Very dangerous situation that Mercedes needs to step up and repair.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Feb 142014

E350

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. When the contact refueled the vehicle and parked it inside the garage, a fuel odor was present. The failure occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the fuel pump and sensor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Nov 072014

E350 6-cyl

Fuel smell. Took vehicle to dealership and they stated that I need the fuel tank replaced and the fuel level sensor on the left side was leaking. Repair cost estimated $3000.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 012014

E350 6-cyl

There is a strong smell of fuel vapor that is noticeable both inside and outside the car, particularly when the gas tank is full. An evap test shows that there is a gasket near/on top of the gas tank under the rear passenger seat that shows signs of a fuel leak. There are no signs of a recall that I can find online and Mercedes wants to charge $2100+ just for parts for a replacement fuel tank for something that I feel is hazardous to our health and should have been resolved by Mercedes.

- Oak Park, CA, USA

Sep 102014

E350 6-cyl

Safety and health issue with fuel leaking from gas tanks and two fuel pumps in 2008 Mercedes E350. There is terrible smell in the car that started around August 8, 2014 and has gotten worse. You cannot drive the car because of this smell. We find out from Mercedes dealer that this is from corroded seals around gas tank and the two fuel pumps that pump fuel from the gas tank. Gasoline has leaked out and has saturated insulation materials inside the passenger compartment of the car. Apparently gas tank is located inside the passenger compartment under the rear seat. They are wanting to charge us $2,500 to fix and repair the damage - which is due to their faulty seals around the gas tank and fuel pumps - replace the fuel pumps, clean up all the spilled fuel, replace the insulation material and what ever else has been damaged. This should be a recall issue. I see story on internet where this has been reported 533 times as of March 19, 2013. Here is link to article www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/driveon/2013/03/19/Mercedes-Benz-E-class-NHTSA-fuel-leaks-odor/1999263/ how many times does this have to be reported to constitute Mercedes doing a recall and addressing this issue at their cost instead of mine" what if someone smokes in the car? will this explode" you cannot stand the smell as it makes you sick to set in the car. To me that is both a safety issue and a health issue and should be addressed by Mercedes. They are saying that the car is old - but 6 years for a Mercedes I would not consider old. It should last 15+ in my opinion. I drive this car long distances, many times over 10+ hours in a day. I cannot be in the car with this smell, it will make me sick after less than 1 hour. I drove it for 20 minutes a few days ago and if felt sick the rest of the day....

- Crozet, VA, USA

Aug 182014

E350

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. After the contact filled up the fuel tank, fuel fumes were present in and around the vehicle. While the vehicle was parked inside the garage, fuel leaked from the rear of the vehicle onto the garage floor. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 85,874.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Apr 152014

E350

Lately, each time I fill the gas tank, strong smell of gas fills the garage till I use up some of the gas in the tank, driving the car. The smell seems to come from driver side rear wheel area. I noticed NHTSA started an investigation about a year ago. I don't understand why it has not been concluded yet and how all these complaints of similar nature, have not been addressed. Mbnz should be held accountable for their engineering and design. As some noted, their cars were fixed under warranty, so mbnz knows about this problem and seems to choose to ignore. This is where NHTSA is supposed to come in and protect the consumers of these so called luxury ( expensive) cars.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Dec 112013

E350

The gas gauge randomly shows incorrect fuel level remaining. This makes it difficult to know how much gas and distance/miles remain before a refill is needed. After a full refill the gauge seems to accurately show a full tank. Randomly, when starting the car, the gauge sometimes shows incorrect fuel levels at empty or much less than actual. This sometimes corrected via restarting car. Sometimes restarting does not correct the gauge.

- Danville, CA, USA

Dec 182013

E350

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that gasoline fumes were emitted in and around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to determine what was causing the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 172013

E350

The fuel sending unit is leaking gas when I fill the car up.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Aug 292013

E350

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact noticed that the top portion of the fuel tank was leaking gasoline onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that the entire fuel tank would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Marco Island, FL, USA

Sep 132012

E350 6-cyl

The smell of gas fumes from my Mercedes was prevalent in my garage after refueling for a number of weeks before taking it in to Mercedes Benz of chandler to identify the problem. I took the car in for servicing on September 13, 2012. Mercedes identified the problem as a crack in the fuel tank and verified that it was a problem with the tank and not caused by an outside influence (road debris or similar). Mercedes replaced the gas tank at a cost of $2,759.10 (after discounts) as it was a potential hazard. I have not had any other problems with the gas tank since.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 042012

E350 6-cyl

Every time I fill up the fuel tank, the outside of the car smells of gas till the fuel comes down to about three quarter tank. The gas odor is especially perceptible in the morning when I walk into the garage. As a precaution I started parking the car outside the house for a few days after I fill the tank.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Apr 032013

E350 6-cyl

Reference PE12001 I occasionally smell gas after filling up my vehicle. Until now, I'd just figured I stepped in some fuel at the station and that the smell was coming from my shoes, but understand that there is an issue with the fuel system.

- Moreland Hills, OH, USA