2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2008 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122016

I smelled strong gas smell a few days ago. I took my car to Mercedes arrowhead located in Arizona yesterday. They informed me that the problem would be covered under a 15 year warranty (fuel tank had started leaking). Today they called me and said that the leak had saturated to my back seats and that it wasn't covered because I had taken too long to call them and that's why the back seats were saturated with gas (I didn't know that my seats were saturated with gas until I started to smell it through my vents while ac was blowing). Now, I am being asked to pay almost $500 to replace the pads and deafening material as they told me it wasn't covered by warranty even though it was caused by a defective fuel tank. At this point I'm not sure if there have been any health related issues for myself and my 2 kids who normally sit in the back of the car who has been inhaling the gas fumes for an unknown length of time.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jul 252016

Smell of fuel after filling up car, leaking fuel tank around fuel pump ring, fuel pump stopped working

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Jun 252016

When I fill my tank with fuel, it smells like fuel is leaking because the odor is so strong. The odor stays very strong 2-3 days after filling up with fuel. I have a five (5) year old daughter who also rides daily in the car and this can't be good for her. According to the service department at critz Mercedes Benz, the leak is at the top of the tank. I know there is a recall and the warranty has been extended on fuel tanks with my model of car. However, I have contacted Mercedes Benz and they have told me that I have a different model of fuel tank than the recall one. Evidently, this type of fuel tank is not good also. I have taken my car to critz Mercedes Benz in savannah, ga for service since I purchased it in 2010. Mercedes Benz contacted critz and they told them they would only give me a $200 discount on $4,000 worth of work. I don't think I should be held responsible for this. I am asking for the warranty on my type of fuel tank to be extended also. I'm sure there are others that are also having this same problem.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 202015

I purchased a 2008 E350 4matic sport in November of 2015 and I have been noticing when I buy gas there is a very strong smell of gas within the vehicle for many miles after the purchase. I thought it was just my imagination until a friend was riding with me on a trip to Maryland and noticed it too. This keeps happening and I am not sure way.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Oct 042015

When I fill the vehicle up with gas there is a strong smell as if it is leaking even though no gas is leaking out to the naked eye. Recently the smell is now invading the cabin space of the vehicle.

- Fountian Valley, CA, USA

Sep 222014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that there was an odor of fuel constantly in the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure occurred when the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Walnut, CA, USA

Aug 202015

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. While parked, a strong fuel odor emitted inside and outside of the vehicle. There was no fuel leakage visible on the ground. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel sender cracked. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Scottsdale , AZ, USA

Aug 072015

When filling up the gas tank to full, a distinct gasoline smell is present. When the car is driven and the gasoline indicator is less than full, the distinct smell goes away.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jul 142015

The crankshaft sensor failed due to separation of bond wires from the lead frame in the sensor. This results in an interruption in the electrical connection in the chip housing of the sensor. The electrical fuel pump is not receiving a crash signal that is required for the fuel pump to disconnect and prevent future fuel delivery as designed. * my vehicle is experiencing the same issue as the recalled 2008 E350 models. The car will not turn over or start. There's a faint gas smell coming from the back seat. The fuel pump is not sending a signal to the my vehicle is currently with an authorized mb servicer, however, mbusa dos not want to pay for the recall issues.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Oct 102014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that upon refueling the vehicle, there was a strong fuel odor emitting outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. MA 10/5

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 182015

Filled my tank, parked in my garage, gas smell was all over garage and all over inside the car.the car was leaking gas from under the back seat, in the sending unit. This is really dangerous and shameful of Mercedes Benz to have this defect, which I later found out from a lot of posting online.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jan 222015

Gas vapor leaks from the car and fills the garage and house. The vapors increase with higher temperatures.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152014

E350 6-cyl

Beginning approximately Nov 2014, I started noticing a strong fuel smell in my garage. The odor seemed to be stronger when I filled the car with gas. By December 2014, the fuel smell permeated to my kitchen, through the garage because the smell was so strong. My husband advised me to park the car outside because he was fearful the car would explode with the other chemicals near and around the vehicle. I called Mercedes Benz (mb) headquarters on two occasions telling them about my problem. They advised me that there would be 'extended warranty' letters issued in late January or early February 2015 that would provide me with reimbursement options and that they recommended getting it fixed asap. Therefore, January 13, 2015 Mercedes Benz of san antonio fixed my fuel tank and I paid $3,132.03 for the repair. I later filed a complaint with the NHTSA in January. The ODI# is 10669386. When I didn't receive my extended warranty letter, I decided to email mb to see if the letters had been sent. They informed me the letters were being sent. Today, March 25, 2015, I decided to call mb headquarters(again) to see what the delay was in sending my letter. Mb informed me I didn't receive a warranty letter because my 2008 E350 was a partial zero emissions vehicle (pzev) and those 'labeled' vehicles were not covered under the warranty. I am distraught over this decision and feel I am being wrongly excluded from the extended warranty. My car is good for the environment and I'm being punished for it. I need assistance in any possible for reimbursement of my faulty gas tank. Not sure what the emissions part plays in this? please help!!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 052014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E-350. The contact stated that after refueling, a strong odor of fuel was present on the rear left side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Dec 012014

E350 6-cyl

I purchased the vehicle used in may of 2014 from a non-Mercedes dealer. Towards the end of December of 2014, I noticed a strong odor of gas in our garage every time I filled up the tank. The odor would dissipate after the gas level went down but the strong odor returned every time I filled up the tank. I did notice moisture on the garage floor but it would evaporate by the time I drove back into the garage so I didn't think much of it. The odor was so strong that I finally took the car to my independent Mercedes repair shop to have it checked out. It turns out that there is a defective seal on the gas tank which requires the entire tank to be replaced to the tune of $2200 just for the gas tank-no labor included yet. Fortunately, I purchased an extended warranty but the company is sending out an inspector to my mechanic to verify that a new tank needs to be replaced in a 2008 Mercedes. In other words, they want to dispute the repair. Based on my research, multiple lawsuits have been filed in various states on this exact issue. This appears to be a common problem with the year and model which should result in a recall against Mercedes Benz to cover this defective gas tank/seal. Thank you.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Oct 012014

E350 6-cyl

Approximately 3 months ago I noticed a strong smell of gas coming from the left rear wheel well, every time I filled up the fuel tank on my 2008 mbenz E 350. I park the car in my garage and the smell gets very strong overnight. The smell of gas subsides when the tank is about 3/4 full. I have done some research on line and seems like this is a common and serious problem that Mercedes Benz refuses to acknowledge and repair free of charge to the consumer. I am specially concerned because my home water heater is in the garage were I keep my car overnite.

- Winnetka, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Each time I fill up my gas tank (I do not top off), I smell gas for about 1 week in my garage. The odor has gotten so strong, I can smell the gas in my house. I started parking outside my garage until the smell disappeared. I took it to the dealer which cost me $750 to repair. It was the gas tank sealer which was leaking when I filled up my gas tank. After researching on the internet I found this to be a common problem, yet no recall notice was sent to me. I would like my $750 plus damages to my health of smelling the gas fumes in my garage and my home. Not to mention the danger of the damage a spark could have done.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Oct 012014

E350 6-cyl

Starting approximately September/October 2014, my car smells like gasoline inside and outside the car when I feel up the fuel tank. When the car is parked in the garage, entire garage smelled like gasoline as well. The smell usually went away in a few days and the smell wasn't too bad in the beginning and I thought I was overreacting. However, on 12/19/14, immediately after I filled up the fuel tank, the smell was so bad and I had a terrible headache from smelling the gasoline while I drove the car. So I decided to take the car into the dealership and was later informed that there are two leaks in fuel tank and another leak in transmission connector. I was charged about $3,500 for the repair.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 292014

E350 6-cyl

Fuel pump leaking fuel causing vapors in car. Caused migraine headaches.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Jun 012013

The contact owns a 2008 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle, there was a strong odor of fuel present. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA