2003 Mercury Grand Marquis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 172011

Grand Marquis

The headlights on the car just went out. It happened more and more frequently at random times. Mechanic says it is the lighting control module ( lcm ).he stated this is a common problem for my Grand Marquis and crown victoias this would have been fatal for my family and I if we were on the interstate traveling at night at the speed limit.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Aug 122008

Grand Marquis

I have two complaints, my first complaint is, I own a 2003 Grand Marquis. I have to be to work @ 3 in the morning so one day I was headed to work on a dark road and all of a sudden my light turn off by themselves. I pulled over and played with the light switch and it came back on. The next day it did it again, and I repeated the same steps. So for the third day they didn't come on at all. I took it to Ford the same day and they said it was the lcm, which would cost a estimated $750 dollars to replace it. I had to hold the bright lights til I saved enough money to get it replaced. My other complaint is about the A/C climate control unit, this is another major problem. One day its was working fine, then the next day it was not blowing out the proper vents, then eventually it stop working. I can feel a little air blowing out once I hit about 65 mph on the freeway. Again I took it 2 Ford and it would be another $650 to replace it. I asked around town and a lot of people are having the same problems. Something needs to be done about this. If you check ebay, they do have services that rebuild both the lcm and the climate control unit for anywhere between $75 and $200 dollars.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 142010

Grand Marquis

The headlights go out on my 2003 Mercury marquis while driving, they will go on again if I shut down the car and let it sit for about 10 minutes, but the issue will occur again once I drive for 15 - 20 minutes. This seems like a wide spread problem in this make and model, I have researched it on the internet and found dozens of complaints about this issue.

- Dania, FL, USA

Aug 142010

Grand Marquis

The head lights on my Mercury Grand Marquis go out when I drive at night. I have searched the web for solutions to this problem. It turns out this is a recurring problem with thousands of other owners of this model. It is a serious issue when you are driving on country roads or on the interstate and your lights go out and you can't see anything. The lights usually remain off for about ten minutes or so. Mercury needs to be responsible for this issue before a serious accident happens (if one hasn't already).

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Dec 142003

Grand Marquis

Headlights on 2003 Mercury granmarquis will go off or will not come on at any time they may come on or may not come on at any time if they go off while the vechicle is travling on the road this could be disasterious and could lead to loss of life. The prblem started on 12/14/2009 and continued until the lcm (processor-lighting control module) was replaced on 12/30/2009 the lcm was replaced by sparton Lincoln Mercury, mcdonough ga.30253 the part, labor and to diagnose it cost approximately $760, dealer kept part car was not driven at night because of problem problem could occur at any time

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Nov 032009

Grand Marquis

Lights turn off and will not turn on/ lights will not turn in any position. The lighting control module has been an issue for 2 years.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Sep 012009

Grand Marquis

The lights on my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis turn on and off by themselves, leaving me in the dark while driving.

- Lambertville, MI, USA

Aug 102009

Grand Marquis

I am having headlight failure due to light control module(lcm/light box) issues. This issue has been previously complained about and investigated by your Agency as I have found out while researching your website. There has been no events leading up to the failure. The headlights will switch off and on no matter if your driving or not. Many times they will not go on at all. I am forced to stop once they go out and wait until they decide to switch back on to continue while driving at night. I reported this to Ford Motor Company on August 10, 2009, and I was quoted a 1,000 estimate for repair by my local dealer due to the fact that there has never been a recall issued. What exactly needs to happen to get this safety issue remedied? please take a deep look into this.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Jun 152009

Grand Marquis

2003 Grand Marquis I am experiencing intermittent headlight failure while driving my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. This is covered by NHTSA action PE08-066 which was recently closed without resulting in a recall. I feel your automobile headlights failing while driving is a serious safety issue. There is no question that I am going to have to pay $400-$800 to have the car repaired. Lighting control module will need to be replaced to fix a relay that is worth only about $25. As a retiree on fixed income, this is a financial hardship. I called Ford customer relationship center and was told I am responsible for the cost since the vehicle is beyond the warranty coverage. Internet search engine on Mercury headlight failure revealed this is a common problem on ltd's and Mercury's especially 2003 Grand Marquis' and fleet ltd's. I think NHTSA closing PE08-066 has resulted in a failure to accurately address this as a serious safety concern and as a product defect and Ford has failed in their customer service obligations to a past valued customer. Failure seems to be a matter of not if but when this failure will occur on these vehicles.

- Dublin, GA, USA

Dec 102008

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights would not operate while driving at night. The vehicle was taken to both an independent mechanic and the dealer. Both stated that the failures were due to the electronic control module. The contact was concerned that he could not operate the vehicle at night. NHTSA investigation number PE-066 was opened for the failure; however, no verdict has yet been reached. The failure mileage was 95,100 and current mileage was 95,600.

- White House, OH, USA

Aug 012005

Grand Marquis

2003 Grand Marquis developed problems with the alternator, the throttle sticking open and alignment problems. There was also a rattle noise coming from the engine and the digital readout on the dash was not reading properly.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Feb 022005

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The engine revved in full throttle when the gear shifter was shifted into drive from park; resulting in a rear end collision. This occurred while in stop and go traffic in the car wash line. The repair shop failed to determined what caused the failure, but the consumer feels due through their own research that it was caused by the electrical system/cruise control.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Sep 162003

Grand Marquis

While driving under raining conditions cruise control was not working. Instrument lights panel was off, and windshield worked intermittently. Dealer replaced two computers in the electrical system, but problem still occurring.

- Concord, NC, USA

Sep 202002

Grand Marquis

Dashboard control panel is total darkness radio, cd, clock, poor illumination. Dealer has been notified.

- Ludlow, MA, USA