2005 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Feb 202013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving down the interstate my headlights cut off. My parking lights remained on. The only way to see the road was to hold the high beam switch. This is the fourth time that this has happened in the last 2 weeks. There is no pattern of occurrence. I investigated on the internet and there are multiple reports of this happening throughout the country. The headlight module seems to be the problem.

- Manakin-Sabot, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

This is a very dangerous problem. The lights go out on the Mercury marquis. It is intermittent. Sometimes, they will go back on. I have to hold the high beam to get home. Extremely dangerous! they should have a recall and stop trying to slide over the issue.

- Murphysboro, IL, USA

Jan 072013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights would fail sporadically. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the lighting control module failed. The failure caused the low and high beam headlights to fail. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 104,000. Updated 3/14/13

- Murphyesboro, IL, USA

Feb 092013

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Driving home from lake forest college (lake forest Illinois) to parma Michigan headlights turned off suddenly traveling down highway at 70mph without any warning. Managed to turn emergency flashers on and get safely off highway. Incident occurred around the kalamazoo Michigan area, had been on highway appx.3 hours.

- Parma, MI, USA

Jan 022013

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the head lights failed. The contact attempted to turn the lights on but they failed to activate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the light module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- East Moriches, NY, USA

Jan 102012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

As I was driving the headlights went completely off, switched to manual, worked for a few minutes, then went off again. Tried turning car off and back on, no lights, had to hold dimmer switch forward to get lights. This has happened numerous times since the first one. Now not even holding the dimmer switch forward always works. Today we were stopped because tail lights were out (driver was holding dimmer switch forward). Tail lights also flicker at times when headlight goes out and control panel flickers too. We have gone to local independent repair service and are having difficulty getting control module due to large back order. So what are we to do in the meantime? this is extremely dangerous to those in the car and others on the road. I understand recalls are when there is a dangerous situation, and this definitely qualifies! so we now own a car that we can't drive whenever headlights are needed, which is very limiting. So far I have not been able to get hold of Ford directly to complain about this. We are not the original owners, but that should not matter on such a serious issue! this complaint is about a 2005 Grand Marquis.

- Owensville, MO, USA

Dec 202012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights malfunctioned and flickered on and off then eventually failed completely. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. After diagnosis, the contact was advised that the light module had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 24,000. Updated 03/01/13

- East Moriches, NY, USA

Dec 072012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the headlights failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that they could replace the lighting control module to rectify the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Dec 102012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Headlights go out intermittently.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Dec 062012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving on a dark county road all headlights went off. Had to drive nearly a mile with no head lights or street lights before I reached a place I could pull over. After car sat for several minutes lights worked again. Extremely frightening and dangerous! I can not believe this is a known issue and no recall has been issued!

- Ogdensburg, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

This is the second time the lcm has, without warning, failed. The first time, while driving along US1 after dark, all lights - headlights, tail lights, and dashboard light - went off!! there were no street lights and cars could not see us from behind and we could not see where we were going! we were terrified. Our lives were at stake as we anxiously and extremely slowly made our way home. The repair was outrageously costly. And, of course, we were restricted to driving only in sunny daylight hours as lights are required when raining. Now, this has happened again. The car has been taken to the local Ford dealer. However, although the part has been ordered for over 10 days, there is no word as to when it will be available and we are about to take a four-day trip! we have contacted the Ford Motor Co. About this problem, both by phone and by email, and all they can say is that it needs to be fixed. Excuse me! this is a life and death issue!!! we could have been killed on the highway due to a faulty lcm! in all our years we have never had this happen with any other car. We have read in several blogs that there are defective modules being used - yes, from Ford Motor Co.! does there need to be a highway death due to this defect before Ford will acknowledge this problem and replace this part at their expense?? updated IVOQ 12/19/12

- Lexington, SC, USA

Nov 032012

Grand Marquis

Driving at night when head lights went out all other lights were on. We could keep the high beams on by holding dimmer switch up. Lights would come on and them go off again.

- Bethel , MO, USA

Nov 132012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while parked the headlights failed to illuminate. The contact powered off and restarted the vehicle and the headlights still failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated the light control processor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and the current mileage was 92,000.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Oct 132012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving after dark the headlights and dashboard lights went dark. While attempting to restore the lights, they came back on. Within ten miles, this event occurred two more times. I went to my local Mercury dealer who told me that the module that controlled the headlights and dashboard lights was not available. He also told me that his ordering system also showed him that there were almost 600 of these parts were on back-order. He also told me that one of the components of the module was unavailable and that there was no anticipated date when the module might be available. He also told me that 2005 was the only model year that this part would fit and that the 2004 or 2006 similar parts would not work in the 2005 model year. He also told me that if the part were available that it would cost almost $600 dollars not installed. This part also fits the 2005 Ford Crown Victoria but no other makes or models. This leads me to believe that Ford re-engineered this model for the 2005 model and discovered that it was a faulty design and redesigned it for the 2006 model and failed to report the problem to anyone. They have used up all of whatever inventory of these parts they ever manufactured and appear to have no plans to make any more. I have shopped most of Florida's junk yards and have not been able to locate any 2005 Mercury or Ford cars from which to obtain a used part. Before daylight this morning while driving my wife to the doctor, the headlights and dash lights went out once again and came back on after about a mile. This is a serious safety issue. I believe that your Agency should not only require Ford to develop an immediate fix for this problem, but should require Ford to supply this part at no cost to the affected owners since it is pretty clear that they were aware of the problem and tried to hide it from the public and the government.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 052012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, all of the lights on the vehicle failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the light control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Clear Water , FL, USA

Mar 172012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

During early morning travel, both headlights stopped working at the same time. After restarting the vehicle the headlights worked fine for a while, then suddenly stop working as you drive. Ford diagnosed to be lighting control module and to repair is almost a thousand dollars. This manufacturers defect is common for this year and model vehicle and is very dangerous!! headlights are a safety necessity and this manufacturer defect is above and beyond routine maintenance!

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Sep 042012

Grand Marquis 6-cyl

I was driving to work at 5:50 am in the dark when on coming traffic began flashing their headlights at me. I then noticed that my headlights (which I always have set on automatic) had gone out without warning. I had to drive a short distance to find a safe place to pull off the road. I could not get the headlights to come on with the switch in either the automatic or manual settings. I repeatedly shut the car off and restarted it without any luck. I had to wait until the sun came up to continue driving to work. I goggled this headlight problem and found it is a very common failure of the lighting control module in the 2003-2005 Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis. I contacted Ford Motor Co. But was told there was no recall on these cars with this common and very dangerous defect and was directed to take my car to a Ford dealer for service. I personally think Ford should be responsible for repairing this defect with no cost to the customer.

- Angola, NY, USA

Aug 302012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

While driving my 2005, Mercury, Grand Marquis, at night, the headlights completely went out on me...making visibility impossible...after much research on this problem, I find that alot of people are complaining of the very same problem with their Mercury, Grand Marquis...after reading of all the complaints about this problem, I wonder why this has not been on the recall list......this is a severe safety issue!!! thank you for your prompt attention in this matter.

- Walton, NY, USA

Feb 062012

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

Description of the complaint: Lcm known defect: Both headlights failed, in both dim and high-beam positions. They will not come on in either the automatic or manual dashboard switch positions. (the bulbs are still good.) the parking lights, turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights continued to function. This happened at night. It should be obvious that this failure will *always* occur at night, or during stormy weather, threatening safety, because headlights are not normally used during the daytime. Later testing revealed the problem to be intermittent. At one point, the automatic dashboard switch position worked for both dim and high-beams, but the manual switch position did not work. The next morning, both the automatic and manual positions worked. When the problem first occurred, neither position would work. This intermittent problem is consistent with a large number of complaints and reports for the 2003-2005 model years, and the problem is the lighting control module. This module is so unreliable that it has been named the "lights out module" on the internet. A sampling of complaints can be found at these web sites: This is a *safety* issue. Lives are at stake. Please force a recall to correct this problem before innocent people are killed. Although the parking lights and tail lights continued to work, so other drivers can see the car with the failed headlights, the driver of the car with the failed headlights *cannot* see where he is going!! he could run into a parked car, hit a pedestrian, hit a bicyclist, hit a tree or other obstruction, etc. This is a very dangerous situation!

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that while driving, the headlights stop working. The headlights worked intermittently and failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the light control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any further assistance. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Fayette, AL, USA