Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2008 Mercury Mariner electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Jul 132016

Key ignition doesn't work. Car won't start without jiggling key.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Apr 102016

Safety recall 14S05 -as a result of the recall Ford upgraded the software in my car in Dec. 2015, but three months later the steering failed. (the car was parked on a quiet san francisco street when I tried to start it and realized that the steering wouldn't work.) I first towed the car to my local mechanic, who looked at it for a week and then told me that it was related to this safety recall; he advised me to take the car back to Ford. When I re-towed the car to Ford dealership, they refused to honor their written commitment to repair the problem and instead tried to argue that because I got a software update, their responsibility was over. When I asked if the symptoms in my car matched those the recall was meant to fix, the dealership admitted the symptoms matched. They say they can't do anything B/C a "code" didn't trip. I also noticed that the recall says that software upgrades "may" fix the problem and should at least notify the driver by beeping. My car never beeped, but more importantly a software update that "may" fix the problem is not sufficient for safety! the steering issue should be fixed/replaced by Ford! Ford is negligently putting customer lives in danger. Moreover, Ford shouldn't be able to push the cost of a malfunctioning, core product feature onto customers. When I purchased the car, at the top of the market price for it, I was not told "in 50,000 miles you will have to pay several thousand dollars for a completely new steering column because this one will fail and people in your car may die." Please investigate as many consumers are complaining about how Ford is trying to push responsibility for recall 14S05 onto individual car owners.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 072016

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. While driving approximately 75 mph, the traction control, service engine, and ABS sensor lights illuminated and an audible chime was heard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering mechanism was faulty. The steering system was reprogrammed, but the failure continued. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic power assist system was faulty. The contact was informed that the repair was previously performed in 2014 under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,720.

- Williamsburg, CO, USA

Sep 022015

My parents purchased a 2008 Mercury Mariner this last spring, and just started to notice that the electric power steering is cutting in and out. We took it to our local garage who diagnosed the problem (error code that came up was B1342-2F) and recommended we replace the steering column. Since that is a large expense ($800) I decided to do some research and called the local Ford dealer. They looked up our VIN and told me that there was a recall on the electric power steering and that the work for the recall on the power steering was already done. (Ford's recall number for this is 14S05) my question is since we are experiencing the same failure (meaning the fix didn't seem to last) is there any recourse for us to have Ford fix the problem now" also, how long are these 'fixes' supposed to last? the date the recall was published by NHTSA is 2014-06-05, and we are only in September of 2015. I was thinking that a recall fix should last longer than a little over a year. Is NHTSA in the process of reviewing this issue"

- Glenburn, ME, USA

Nov 032014

Mariner 4WD 6-cyl

This is reference to NHTSA id number: 10653141. I discovered the July 1, 2014 Ford's safety recall 14S05 notice to all us Ford dealers. On page 6 a question and answer for the Ford dealers from Ford's service engineering operations, reveals Ford never attended the reprogramming the modules to fix the safety recall for electronic power steering for escapes and Mariners 2008-2011 models. This is the excerpts from this document tilted July 1, 2014 to: All us Ford and Lincoln dealers subject safety recall 14S05. Q3. what does the software updates do" a. the software updates may extend the time steering assist is maintained. In addition, the update provides increased driver awareness by sounding a chime and displaying the wrench light or warning in the message center when a fault is detected. Q4. what if a customer experiences loss of steering assist after the modules have been reprogrammed? a. the modules were reprogrammed to prevent sudden loss of steering assist while driving. Additionally, the instrument cluster software update will provide audible and visual indications to the driver in the unlikely event of a torque sensor fault. Any subsequent loss of assist repairs experienced after completion of module reprogramming are not covered by this recall. Q5. what should I tell a customer who experiences loss of steering assist after the recall has been performed" a. the modules were reprogrammed to prevent sudden loss of steering assist while driving in the event of a torque sensor fault. Customers should be advised that the replacement of the steering column or torque sensor is at their expense.

- Bridgeport, WV, USA

Jun 152014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that when raining, water entered the vehicle through the windshield. As a result, the front driver and passenger side would get wet and caused the instrument panel to fail. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,400. The VIN was unavailable.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Nov 112013

Mariner 6-cyl

December, 2013, I was exiting parking lot onto a main street that had 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. Halfway into the street, lost power steering but was able to drift to side of road. January, 2014 car would not go over 25 miles per hour, lost power steering. Fortunately I was near the garage that does my repairs, oil changes, etc.. March, 2014, steering wheel locked, no power steering, had to wait about a half hour until power steering returned...kept turning car off and on every 10 minutes. Contacted Ford customer service 3 times by email (Jan-Mar). My last 3 cars have been Ford products but apparently brand loyalty is not valued. Replies were--sorry you are having issues-no follow up from Ford even when hey knew they were issuing a power steering recall as of April-may, 2014. I paid $2,500 in repairs from Dec'13-Mar'14.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Mar 172014

While pulling away from a stop light, an attempt to make a right turn was made. In the middle of the turn, the power steering assist quit. The turn was near impossible to complete and I almost ran over a gas station sign. After wrestling the car to a stop in a gas station I turned off the ignition and called my husband. He suggested I have the car towed to a repair shop. While on the phone I restarted the truck and the power assist resumed working. I returned home without incident. Someone is going to be killed if they are not strong enough to control a truck like this without power assist. The power assist has quit three times since and only my husband drives the vehicle now.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Feb 102014

Mariner 6-cyl

Over the last couple weeks we have experienced a loss of power steering and an increasingly severe "shaking" of our steering wheel when it is working. We took the car to the mechanic and was told that we need to replace the entire steering column due to a failure of the electronic power steering. The part alone is $900, $1,400 with labor. After doing some research online it appears as though this is quite a common issue for '08 escapes and Mariners ( it is extremely dangerous because I cannot turn the wheel at all when the power steering goes out. It has not gone out mid-drive for us yet, but have read of that happening to people. For us, when we turn the vehicle on, there will be no power steering and we have to turn it off and back on again 1-3 times before the power steering will work. And then there is a severe "shaking" while driving. I am shocked the defective electronic power steering has not been recalled for these very popular cars. We drive a 3 year old and 5 month old in our car. We cannot afford this type of repair, but clearly cannot afford to drive our children in the cars very dangerous condition.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 162013

Mariner 4-cyl

Vehicle shut down while driving on the interstate at approx. 65 mph, immediately losing all power. Message on dash read "stop safely now". this is a very dangerous issue. Driving on the interstate at 65 mph and it has occured 8 times since I purchased this car. Ford has repaired the car for this 3 times (in 2009, 2010, 2013), the first 2 it was under warranty, this last one the repair cost was $350. What is terrifying about this situation is that it occurs without warning and you have about 10 seconds to react, I've been very close to getting rear ended a couple of times. I was able to restart the vehicle every time, but what surprises me is that even though this situation is so serious, I did not find out until now it's so common. I will be shopping for a new car soon, I had enough. I kept the car this long because other than this issue, I really love driving it.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Mar 232008

Mariner 4-cyl

New 2008 Mercury Mariner intermittent will not start or hard to start and when starts emits heavy black smoke from exhaust. When car did not start left daughter in a unsafe environment. Took car to local dealership, service department admitted Ford was aware of the problem there is a service bulletin out on the car bulletin # 6023000 and # 20140. Dealership also admitted Ford has no fix for the problem at this time. Car is unsafe and can leave the driver in a deadly situation.

- Slidell, LA, USA