Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2008 Mercury Mariner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Feb 232016

My vehicle is having trouble steering, took my vehicle to the repair shop and they informed that it was a recall on it. I took my vehicle to the dealership and they told me since my VIN number for me vehicle was not in the recall there was nothing that they could do and wanted to charge me $125 to put it on their machine, I already to my SUV to the shop and they informed to go to the dealership

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 112014

Mariner 6-cyl

I was driving on highway route 22 at approximately 60 mph, when suddenly the throttle stopped responding and the tachometer started dropping. In a matter of seconds the tachometer reached zero and the vehicle stalled, while I was in traffic on the highway. I coasted off to the shoulder and put the vehicle in park. When I tried to restart the vehicle, the engine would turn over and start up, however, immediately after I let go of the key, the tachometer would drift back down to zero and the vehicle would stall. After a few more failed attempts, I called for a tow. Since this occurred after hours, no one was available to work on the vehicle until the next morning. In the morning when I attempted to show the technician the failure, the vehicle started up as it did the evening before, then the tachometer started dipping back down, then just before it stalled, the tachometer fluttered a little, then the engine revved back up and began idling normally. The technician indicated that there were no events logged in the vehicles computer to give him an idea of what caused the sudden stalling, and he could not find any obvious issues with the vehicle. The vehicle was returned to me without repair and the technician warned me that it is likely that this would happen again and that they cannot diagnose it unless they see it when it is not working. Now I am concerned that this will happen again while driving and that it will cause an accident, or worse. I read an article from the North Carolina consumers council stating that there is a known issue with the throttle body of this vehicle that causes sudden engine stall while driving. Ford issued an extended warranty on certain vehicles for this piece, however when I contacted the dealership and mentioned consumer satisfaction program 13N03, they informed me that my vehicle did not qualify. I'm not sure what to do next.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Apr 092014

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated the vehicle intermittently stalled while driving various speeds and after starting. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 06/17/14

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 292014

Mariner 6-cyl

I had just made a right turn and was proceeding down the block when I heard a sudden "click" and lost power. I couldn't steer and there was no power. I managed to get the car over to the curb and turn off the engine. I restarted it a few minutes later and it started up ok. However, the rsc warning light stayed on even though I had never pressed that button. This is not the first time this has happened. The first time it happened I was told it was a battery problem so I got a new battery. That was less than a year ago and I can't imagine I need a new battery that often - that simply needing a new battery will cause my car to fail! in doing some research I've come across several instances of the same issue necessitating replacement of the throttle body module with trouble codes P2111 and P2112 and, in fact, the North Carolina consumers council (nccc) has officially petitioned the national highway safety administration (NHTSA) for a defect investigation of alleged throttle body failures in 2005-2012 Ford escape vehicles sharing the same or substantially similar part. Luckily I was only on surface streets and not the freeway. It's only a matter of time before this happens on the freeway! is there going to be a recall?

- Lake Balboa, CA, USA

Mar 252014

Mariner 6-cyl

Driving the truck through a drive thru at a mcdonalds with my 2 year old son in backseat and the power steering stopped working as proceeding thru drive thru, almost hitting the building having no control over truck. Very dangerous problem with this make and model/this is a safety hazard and someone will end up as a casualty if this problem with steering not recalled by Ford. I am a 280 guy and could barely steer the truck until I shut it of and restarted it. Also oil leak on engine for most of these V6 Mariners and escapes is above oil pan by harmonic balancer, Ford refuses to admit they did a horrible job putting together the bottom end of these engines.overall Ford needs to reconsider what should be a recall on their vehicles before someone gets seriously injured or killed. I am a ase certified mechanic and have never encountered such problems with a vehicle.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 152013

Mariner 4-cyl

Without warning the gas pedal sticks, will not function. This happens intermittently and seems to disappear when the car warms up, but also has happened when the car is warm. Very dangerous when trying to accelerate or just drive normally. This seems to be a widespread problem with both the Ford escape and the Mercury Mariner. We have been stranded several times. This needs to be fixed by the manufacturer.

- Easley, SC, USA

Feb 172014

While driving my car stalls without warning then it jerks real hard and takes off so I have to ride the brakes after coming to a stop before I can press the gas peddle it takes off so I ride the brakes. While driving again it picks up speed on its own very scare please help.

- Houma , LA, USA