NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2010 Mercury Mariner (Page 1 of 3)

2010 Mercury Mariner drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Mariner:

2010 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012016

While driving home from work last night, vehicle suddenly declined in acceleration...started jerking and illumination of a "wrench" symbol appeared on the dashboard...never had any problems with this vehicle in the past besides routine maintenance...scared to drive it until problem is solved..

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Feb 052016

Our 2010 Mercury Mariner had a clunking and loss of power on two different occasions. The first time we brought it to the Ford dealer and he checked codes, etc, only to find nothing. The clunking or loss of power did not came back for a while. Several months later while driving home from work, the clunking sound appeared again, there was an evident loss of power and the orange wrench displayed on the speedometer indicated an issue. I had to work on getting the vehicle up to speed and power again, slowing the traffic in back of me down. The vehile was purchased a year ago, almost to the day and has approximately 52,000 miles on it. I called the Ford dealer who made arrangements to bring the vehicle in for a check up. Based on what I'm reading, these are known issues with a throttle? not certain if there's a recall or not but will certainly find out. Basically, our vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Dec 172014

Mariner 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Mercury Mariner premium fwd to my mothers for christmas '14 when the engine light wrench came on and I felt a loss in power. Luckily I was near a rest stop and I shut off engine and let it sit after running a vehicle health report. Report said: Urgent power train malfunction / reduced power. After restarting the vehicle, it seemed fine. This was when I still had about three hours left of driving in my eight hour drive. When I was about an hour away again the light came on and the same power reduction occurred. I took it to be looked at to the local Ford dealer near my mothers and was told the valve body needed to be replaced. This was at 74,000 miles. So I did. I had this happen once before (I had 58,000 miles on it) when driving to a shopping center after driving 45 minutes on the highway from home. Only happened when driving long distance. When I got off the exit, it jerked and quickly stopped and I had to pull over. If a car was behind me it could have caused an accident.. I drove it to the dealership and was told that I had a couple recalls (computer updates) and a service extension for the throttle body. Should fix the issue so it won't happen again said the mechanic. Transmission fluid was flushed cause it was burnt also. Had no issues afterwards until my christmas trip. I feel I could have been in an accident and seriously hurt if it had jerked while changing gears on a busy road. I would like to know why there is a throttle body recall but not a valve body recall? if these issues can cause a quick jerk or lost power causing a quick slow-down, seems like there should be a recall for both. It appears I am not the only one with these types of issues after googling the issue. Seems like its time to get these transmissions fixed correctly before someone is killed or seriously injured! please recall now B4 it's too late!

- Plainville, GA, USA

Oct 022014

Mariner 6-cyl

Coming to a stop at a red stop light and then trying to accelerate from red to green light at an intersection my vehicle went into limp mode, it lost power. It would not accelerate pass 10mph. An engine light came on as a orange wrench light. I drove as I could and made to auto zone. They plug in the hand held car computer and it gave the code P2119. Which stands for throttle body.

- Russellville , AR, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated while stopped at an intersection, the vehicle started to jerk violently. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the axle seal was leaking fluid from the transmission. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the axle seal needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repair at this time. The failure mileage was 76,537.

- Wasterville, OH, USA

Jul 172014

Mariner 6-cyl

During normal driving on the highway the engine lost power, the wrench light on the dash lit. The vehicle sputtered and suddenly decreased in speed, making for hazardous driving conditions. I moved to the side of the 4 lane highway and into the breakdown lane. I placed the vehicle in park, the engine idled roughly. I turned off and restarted the car and the symptoms were gone. A week later the same trouble returned. Please press fmc to resolve at no-cost to consumer the obvious and dangerous manufacture defect with a recall on the affected parts/system.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152014

Was going home from work, about 20 mph, car sputtered and stopped accelerating on ramp, engine and wrench light came on. This had happened before so I knew to turn the car off and back on to get my car to work again. But alas, I am driving at about 30 mpg for only 2 minutes and it happens again! I was again on another ramp, completely blocking traffic. Thank god I was not yet on I-95 going at a high speed, or even worse with my child in the car. If I ever get in an accident with my child and we are injured because of this, my family will sue the heck out of Ford. Has to call my husband to drive the car to the dealer after I pulled off the road, I was shaking too bad to drive.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jun 112014

Mariner 6-cyl

Loss of all power, went to limp mode. Happened after next 10 restarts in residential traffic then cleared. Engine threw P2112 code, sticking throttle body. Please issue recall.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

May 052014

My 2010 Mercury Mariner has started jerking when I attempt to slow down. It is jerking unbearably hard. I took it to a local garage, had both front and back brakes replaced. That did not fix the problem. While the backend of the car is jacked up, the back right wheel will still turn while holding the brakes"?" the jerking of the car is almost as if the car is skipping a gear or trying to switch gears. The car is also making a whinning sound. I feel as if this is a safety issue that Ford should be responsible for. This is my second Ford SUV with my first being a 2002 Ford escape and I had a lot of "mystery" problems with it that no one could fix!!!

- Munfordville, , KY, USA

Jan 042014

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that the power train and check engine light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the internal transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage 62,307.

- Jackson, MS, USA

May 132014

Mariner 6-cyl

Vehicle surged slightly for a few seconds then accelerator would not work. Wrench light came on. Had to pull over to side of the road, shut vehicle off, restart and it then worked the 10 remaining miles to home. I had just read about this happening a cpl days previous so I knew what it was immediately.

- Spirit Lake, IA, USA

Dec 312013

Mariner 4-cyl

Throttle opens and closes inadvertently.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Mar 082014

Mariner 4-cyl

I was trying to accelerate at a stop light and the transmission (?) did not engage. When I came to a stop light the car jerked like it was it could not switch gears.

- North Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jan 302014

Mariner 4-cyl

Twice in two days while speeding up to get on highway my Mariner looses complete power and the wrench light comes on. Lucky for me it was just before I was turning on to merge. Seconds later it would have been a serious accident, due to the sudden stop. I had to shut the car off and start it back up in order to get going again. After reading #PE13003 has been file for the same exact problem with same make and model. Someone better react before someone looses a life. This is horrible.

- Sarasota , FL, USA

Dec 252013

Mariner 4-cyl

While traveling at 65, wrench powertrain light came on. Able to get to side of road. Called Ford roadside, wrecker towed to dealership. Found faulty throttle body. Replaced under extended warranty. Scary situation.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Dec 232013

Was driving on the freeway going about 70 when I lost all power to accelerate. I noted the wrench symbol also had just came on. I was able to pull over to the shoulder and turn my car off. Before it turned off the car shook quite a bit. I let the car sit for about a minute re-started and noted the wrench was gone and I could accelerate. Later that day it happened to me again. Car is in shop and they told me it is a bad throttle body.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Dec 092013

Mariner 4-cyl

Loss of power on thankful I didnt get hit by other vehicles..was so scared..the wrench came up on dash...Ford said either drive train or throttle...let me say, I have 48000 miles..if have to pay for this, may call lawyer..have so many complaints and Ford had not anything about it...are they waiting for a death"?" my SUV was taken to ted russell Ford parkside drive knoxville Tennessee...have not heard the problem yet..very dissappointed with Ford product...if not took care of..will never by another Ford ever...

- Tallassee, TN, USA

Oct 182013

Mariner 6-cyl

While driving upon a roadway in our neighboring community at approximately 30 mph, my 2010 Mercury Mariner suddenly stopped traveling at speed, and went into 'limp mode'. I was able to slowly pull the vehicle into a parking lot. I called my wrecker service and they towed (flatbed) my vehicle back to the Ford dealer where I bought it. I purchased the 2010 Mercury Mariner new from the same dealer. They examined it and determined that the 'throttle body' needed to be replaced. They declined to repair it under warranty, stating that the part was no longer covered. They also stated that a recall had not been issued. I paid a total of $409.27 for the repair. The tow bill was covered under my membership in aaa.

- Republic, MO, USA

Nov 122013

Mariner 6-cyl

While driving approx. 45 mph the wrench-shaped warning light came on and I lost propulsion...engine still running, radio, A/C still operating but 0 rpms. I coasted to a stop on a side road and called a tow truck. Mechanic tells me it is a failed throttle body and will be pretty expensive to replace.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Oct 282013

Driving when wrench symbol came on dashboard and rpms dropped to under 1 and speed dropped. Coasted into a parking lot at which point car completely shut down. Could turn car back on. Had towed and throttle body replaced.

- Decatur, IN, USA