2010 Mercury Mariner steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Mariner:

2010 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Mar 142016

Mariner

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver while trying to back out of a parking space. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Vilas, NC, USA

Mar 212016

Mariner 4WD 6-cyl

My torque sensor failed after recall 14S05 was performed. This almost caused an accident going 70 mph on I70 because the power steering assist went into manual mode with no warning. Have taken the vehicle to larry H miller Ford for service found bad torque sensor which was supposed to have been fixed with the recall. I have tried to work with Ford and have had no luck with any resolution and I am getting the run around. From doing my research, I am not the only one with this issue and I do believe Ford has not met their obligation to this recall. I was told that if I had not brought my vehicle in for the recall I may be eligible for the replacement. So if I had let it go they would fix the problem. But, because I had the recall addressed it's my problem. Do not think Ford is fixing the problem they are putting a bandage on it. Ford's recall fix, only re-flashed the computer software and did not provide a hardware fix for the torque sensor itself, which failed for a second time.

- Winter Park, CO, USA

Sep 242015

Mariner

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. While attempting to make a U turn at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 201,000.

- Far Rockaway, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Mariner 4-cyl

I suffered an accident because while driving in a highway, I could not steer the wheel and the engine stop working. I wrote before because of what happened and have not received an answer. What can I do? thank you

- Miami, FL, USA

May 292015

Mariner

Cannot get any info about whether my wife's vehicle has a recall. I put in the VIN in your website and it tells me that I must input a valid VIN. This form indicates that my VIN is valid. What gives?

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Feb 122015

Mariner

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) and had the vehicle repaired. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn after the power steering assist failure warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering column assembly failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,723.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Aug 112012

Mariner 4-cyl

On that date, I was driving home with my wife at approximately 2 pm. Suddenly, the car went off and the steering wheel went stiff. As I tried to move unsuccessfully, we went down to a slope of about 20 degrees. As a result, both of us had to be taken for emergency treatment for knocks, cuts and follow up checks. So far, it has cost us $16,497 and repair of the car us$6,853. There has been other events where the car suddenly stops and the steering wheel becomes stiff. But, I don T use the car in the highway but only for shorts errands and within the area where we live. Its been a nightmare. I have changed the throttle casing module, the restraint control module, I put a rubber stop on the acceleration pedal, etc. Again, out of the accident it has been over 4 thousand dollars in trying to fix the car.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 202014

Mariner

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel locked without warning on multiple occasions upon making a turn. The contact had to apply excessive force in order to fully turn the steering wheel left or right on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle will be repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Oct 302013

Mariner 4-cyl

Car stalled while my granddaughter was driving on the highway. It also did not accelerate. She had to step on the brakes to get the car to move. She immediately got a diagnosis from auto zone (throttle body system open- P2111), then took the car to the Ford dealership where the problem was confirmed and repaired. An emergency light came on during this problem.

- Scurry, TX, USA