2010 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Oct 252012

Milan

Husband saw brake flicker-monitored it over next year-figured loose bulb. One time went out but came back on. Went in for oil change 9-25-13 mechanic noticed flickering and at times not working.checked connections-ok at this time. Determined vehicle needs new otr mntd tail lamp est. $402.the led bulb is under $10, but must replace entire unit! notified Ford and noticed others have had same issue.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Aug 252013

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan hybrid. The contact was driving 35 mph and was advised that the rear driver's side brake light was inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the light assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 50100.

- Tavares, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Milan

The left side brake and tail light are not working... changed the buld. Was intermitant at first but is now out. In order to fix... the whole taillight assembly has to be changed for about 500.00!!! looking on the internet... it seems to be that the left one has a huge problem!! dangerous for everyone.

- Marcellus, MI, USA

Aug 012013

Milan 4-cyl

I was told by a co-worker that I had a left brake light out. I checked and found that not only was the brake light out so was the lamp or running light out on the left side. On the right side the brake light worked properly during the day but at night with the running lights on the light shown with brake light brightness even though brake was not depressed. When the brake was pressed the light didn't change any brighter. I called the dealer and they confirmed that both lights would need to be changed. If I changed them myself it would cost $406 for the left led module and $412 for the right module. If they changed them add another $95. I contacted Ford asking for financial help with this problem but received none. This repair in the past using two 1157 light bulbs would have been under $10. I have not replace led lamp/ brake modules at this time. I will continue to save for these items.

- Taylor , MI, USA

Jun 122013

Milan 6-cyl

First brake light and tail light on drivers side light up once in awhile did not know was out till friend told me, cost to repair led light is $400 for part have not repaired yet, while driving at any speed car will shut down to limp mode, dealer stated $550 to repair and replace throttle body, both are serious safety items that could result in being rear ended, out of warranty so ordering a throttle body and replace by ourselves for it stalls out continuously, recall should be ordered on both the tail light assemblies and the throttle body as both are a common problem on these vehicles.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA

Feb 132013

Milan 4-cyl

I was pulled over by police for burnt out taillight assembly...passenger side assembly needed replaced at 42000 miles and now drivers side burnt out at 43000 miles...factory only part cost me $432 and now I'm looking at another $432... I thought led assemblies were suppose to last longer than bulbs.... not the case in 2010 Mercury Milan... this is my first Ford and my last Ford!!

- Farrell, PA, USA

May 152013

Milan

Brake lights will not operate when head lights are on. This problem could have been defective when car was purchased. My dad is 86 years old and bought the car new as dealer demo in 02/ 2013. Hes was notified that his brakes were not working and when he returned the vehicle Ford would not honor the problem, I have investigated this problem on the internet and there are numerous complaints with this year model.my dad could have been seriously hurt if not notified bye a person following him.this cost him approxomitly $1000 dollars to fix I feel Ford should recall these do to this problem.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Jul 082013

Milan 4-cyl

This vehicle is equipped with led tail and brake lights. I was informed that my left rear brake light was barely operable, so I went to the closest authorized Ford dealer to have the situation remedied. The rear tail light assembly on these cars is a non-repairable sealed assembly, and any malfunction of the led's requires the whole tail light assembly to be replaced, at a cost of $465. This cost is outrageous, and how many people will simply elect to not replace an inoperative led tail light or brake light assembly" or what happens when Ford ceases to supply the proprietary assemblies, and owners are faced with junking their vehicles simply because of burnt out tail light assemblies" I am frustrated that "progress" has taken us from the simple 59 cent incandescent tail light or turn signal/brake light bulb, so an over-engineered led assembly that is prohibitively costly to repair or replace. I believe a retrofit tail light assembly is needed, either with serviceable led's, or conventional incandescent bulbs.

- Wamego, KS, USA

Jul 132013

Milan 4-cyl

Both led taillight on my 2010 Mercury Milan do not work. I am told that because it is a sealed unit and that it may not be the bulbs, it could be the control module in the lenses. I thought that going to led lights they were to last longer that the old system and should have lasted for the life of the car. This is a safety issue that should be address. Why would both go out at the same time. Note the third brake light works and I am told is on the same fuse as the taillights. The cost to replace these is around $400 each and the only place to get it is a Ford dealer.

- Lancaster, WI, USA

May 122013

Milan

I'm 86 yrs old and purchased a 2010 Mercury Milan in Feb.2013. This was a dealer demo car with 13000 miles on it. 2 months later someone who was following me at night pulled me over to tell me my brake lights didn't work. I did some investigations on line and found out that model of car has many problems with the brake lights not working when the head lights are on. They work when headlights are off. Ford would not correct this problem and I had to pay $1000 for repairs. As I seen online im not the only one with this problem, there are many others. I feel Ford is waiting for someone to be killed before they'll do anything about this problem! I was very fortunate not to be hurt do to their faulty equipment.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Jun 232012

Milan

Last year, I was driving down the interstate when a police man pulled me over. He told me that my tail light was out, and gave me a warning. Whenever I got home, I asked my husband to check out the my tail light, and he told me that nothing was wrong. I checked as well, and sure enough, the problem fixed itself. A few weeks later, a family member who was following me called to let me know that the light was out. I took my car to a Ford dealer, and they explained to me that the entire fixture (on both sides) was defective and that their was a short. He then informed me that it would cost well over $1,000 to cover the repair costs. I still haven't had the opportunity (or the money) to make this repair, and after doing a lot of research, it seems that there are many others who are experiencing the same issues. I am also having problems with my throttle (I will be filing a separate complaint for this). Because of these two incidents, I am very disappointed in the Mercury Milan, and I hope that this vehicle gets recalled.

- Benton, AR, USA

Apr 022013

Milan 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the rear brake lights remained illuminated as if the brakes were being engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the circuit board was defective and as a result, the rear light assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 53,554.

- Highland, MI, USA

May 202013

Milan 4-cyl

On or about 5/20/2013 I noticed a taillight and brake light failure on the right rear taillight assembly. I looked in the handbook for a bulb number and it was noted that it must be replaced by the dealer. I contacted the local dealer and was informed that this was an led assembly and the whole taillight would need to be replaced. I was further informed that the led's were not the problem, but the ballast in the electrical system that was causing the failure. I was then told that the replacement was $500. Led's are supposed to last for thousands of hours, unfortunately, judging from the number of complaints on the internet, my situation is not an isolated incident. It is ridiculous to have to pay over $500 to fix a faulty brake/taillight. It then becomes a safety hazard as people may not be able to afford such an expensive fix for what would otherwise be a $3-4 bulb. The consumer should not have to pay for a poor design and a potential safety hazard. I did contact Ford customer service and was told there may be some post-warranty funds available, but that I would need to have the problem diagnosed at the dealer. A service tech diagnosis would cost an additional $110 with no guarantee of any financial reimbursement. Now over $600 for a brake/taillight.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

May 012013

Milan 4-cyl

I have a 2010 Mercury Milan with 40,000 miles on it. Recently someone pointed out to me that the driver-side brake light is continuously activated. Consequently when braking, drivers behind me are only notified by the right and center brake lights. It seems to only happen when the headlights are on. My research shows this to be a common issue with the 2010 Mercury Milan with some having both brake lights malfunctioning. Diagnosis says it is a faulty led brake light assembly, which would imply a bad circuit board. This is a serious safety hazard and should be recalled. I contacted Ford about it and they directed me to a dealer saying they, (Ford) would probably pay for the repair. After I contacted the dealer, Ford changed their mind and said that since I didn't buy the car new, they didn't consider me a "loyal¯" Ford customer and will not cover any of the cost. It seems Ford is only concerned about the safety of their "loyal" customers.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

Dec 012012

Milan 4-cyl

In early December, I clicked the door open button in the dark and noticed the right rear tail light was only half lit. I went to the manual to see what bulb it was, figuring that I could buy a new one and change it. The manual said to bring the car to the dealer. I decided that I would bring the car to the dealer when the next oil change was due. I brought the car in on January 9th and was told that both the right and left tail lights had to be replaced and the cost would be $1,100. The time of this service was two months and less than two thousand miles past the basic warranty. I was shocked and very unhappy as I felt that this was clearly a manufacturing defect as the leds should last 10,000 hours or more. These had, at most, 700 hours. The defect may well have occurred during the warranty period, but I never noticed it as no indicator light ever went on. The service rep and service manager contacted Ford and there was an adjustment made where I paid 30% or $325.

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Nov 202012

Milan 4-cyl

Carried my Milan premier for its required annual state of nc inspection. The vehicle failed the inspection due to the following: The rear led lights glowed in the brake light mode when the headlights were turned on. When the brakes were applied, the small rear light below the rear spoiler came on. Both rear lamp assemblies had to be replaced by a Ford dealer. Without the inspection I would not have known the problem existed. A search on the internet indicates many similar problems with Milan premier led lights. This is my first vehicle with led lights. Based on my experience, a warning system should be placed on vehicles with these lights if they perform in this manner when malfunctioning. The consumer stated he recently noticed a crack in the sidewall near the top of all the tires, located in a groove that circled the tires. The tires were inspected, and a gesture of goodwill credit was offered. The store representative blamed the condition on dry rot and further stated that any type of solution would hastened the cracking problem. Updated 04/03/14

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 052012

Milan 6-cyl

I commute approx 45 miles to work on a daily basis Monday thru Friday. I have a friend that also commutes, and on several occasions she has called me and asked if I was on the interstate and where I was located, she said I can tell when you are on the road, as your tail lights are always so much brighter than everyone's. approx a month and a half ago, the same thing happened and my friend asked me to step on the brakes, she noted that the only difference in the lighting on the back of my car was that the brake light in the back window came on, the taillight-brake lights didn't change when I stepped on them brake. I have since taken my car into the dealership to find out what is the matter, one dealership reported that I have an led board out, on both sides, approx cost 397 dollars a piece. I then took it to a Ford dealership and they have spent 2 weeks trying to figure out what the problem was, they changed the switch under the dash, thought it was fixed and then couldn't get the car out of gear. They then took a taillight out of another Mercury Milan on their lot and put it in my car, which worked, but then didn't on the other car. The mechanic I spoke with said they had not seen this before, but had never looked for it because no one had brought it to their attention, he reported that he was going to check all the cars on their lot and was very concerned about the safety issue, that I could have very easily have been rear-ended, because there was no change in the brake lights. The mechanic said that when the headlights are on, the brake lights are on continuously.

- Salem, SD, USA

Aug 262012

Milan

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the rear driver side brake light would flicker on and off or would fail intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the light assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 35,700 and the current mileage was 40,200.

- Millers Falls , MA, USA