NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2010 Mercury Milan (Page 1 of 6)

2010 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 022016

When my headlights are on, the right brake lights are constantly illuminated

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 062016

This is the 2nd $400 rear tail light I've put on this car. It has led lamps and the whole light has to be replaced. Works fine without headlamps on and not when they are off. This can result in getting rear ended!!!!! Ford should step up and recall this. Hundreds of complaints on internet. And a 9.5 out of 10 on NHTSA. Replacing a $2 bulb with a $400 led is dumb.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 162016

My 2010 Mercury Milan premier is having the same lighting problems that I have been reading about. The tail light led's are going out one by one. My son the police officer just pointed this out to me. He noticed this after following me home the other night. I am reading that this is an expensive repair. It is the left tail light now, but I guess the right will eventually go too. I also had to have both of the front head lights repaired. My local mechanic was able to do this for me at a fairly reasonable cost. After I had to have the expensive lamp bulbs replaced several times. A recall on the rear lights would be greatly appreciated.

- Monterey, MA, USA

Feb 102016

When my headlights are on, the brake lights are constantly illuminated. I read this is a common problem with the 2010's. there needs to be a recall

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Dec 022015

Got a ticket for driver side brake light being out. Next day found out brake light is $300 that is insane this is not a high end vehicle. An led light is the cheapest light ever invented. If Ford doesn't make this a recall I will never purchase another Ford product ripoff!

- Mt. Sinai, NY, USA

Aug 012015

Tail light recall. Led lights have a short and left tail light remain illuminated as if applying the brake

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Sep 142015

The contact owns a 2010 Mercury Milan. The contact stated that the rear led tail light remained illuminated while the brake pedal was not depressed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 11/19/15

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jun 192015

Passenger side brake light went out completely without warning. The replacement led assembly costs upwards of $400 to replace. Led bulbs should have a life span of >10 years. Several other complaints filed with the NHTSA lead me to believe that this is the result of a faulty part.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 252015

Milan 6-cyl

All 4 led tail light units failed. 1 each left and right body. 1 each left & right trunk lid.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Mar 182015

Milan 4-cyl

The tail light assembly burned out after an unusually short period of time, they are led type and lasted only 5 years. Led's with this short life span should be considered defective as there are numerous incidents being reported about this problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 132015

Led tail/stop light fails; Ford garage says this is a common problem with this car and part; this is a real safety issue that Ford refuses to fix under extended warranty; repair not possible; only replacement of assembly at a cost of ~$400 each.

- Charleston, IL, USA

Jul 132014

Milan 4-cyl

Approximately 25% of the rear passenger-side brake lights on my car permanently went out when I first discovered this problem in July 2014. During the following month, additional led lights in the rear light assembly failed until, finally, none of them would light up. This was outrageous in that my car, bought brand new in August 2009 and consistently housed in a garage, was fewer than 5 years old and had yet to reach the 30,000-mile mark. A licensed Pennsylvania car inspection station representative told me that my car would not pass its safety inspection unless the rear brake light assembly was replaced. Consequently, I was forced to do so; the bill came to $445 for its replacement. Because the light assembly consists of led lights, the entire assembly should have lasted for the life of the automobile, in my opinion. Obviously, this is a glaring safety defect since its malfunction alone results in a failure to pass an annual Pennsylvania automobile safety inspection. Not to mention that its replacement cost is astonishing. I feel strongly that Ford Motor Company should address this situation since other Mercury Milan owners, as well as owners of its twins -- the Ford Fusion and the Lincoln mkz -- have reported on this database nearly identical safety failures. Owners of these vehicles should be compensated for a safety problem that is repeatedly reported on this website. Ford certainly can no longer validly claim that it is unaware of this safety defect; it should issue a recall on its own and fix this design problem immediately.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 192013

I purchased my 2010 Mercury Milan used on August 30, 2012 with 987 miles. Approximately in June, 2013 the car's right rear tail lamp went completely out and I had a new tail lamp installed for $408 + labor. In November, 2013 the car's left rear tail lamp went completely and I had a new tail lamp installed for $408 + labor. Now, March 6, 2015 the right rear tail lamp has gone out and I cannot afford to keep on paying these expenses when I now know that this is a Ford problem and due to poor engineering of the light assembly and because it has not been re-engineered to correct the problem, this will be a recurring problem for the life of the car. I run the chance of being stopped by the police for an unsafe vehicle.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 092015

Milan 4-cyl

The driver side outer tail light is partially out. The outer 2 segments still light up, but the inner 5 are out. If you tap the light it flicks on for a second on then goes out again. The lights do not illuminate when the brake is pressed either.

- Corning, NY, USA

Feb 092015

Milan 6-cyl

The driver's side break light is hyderactive when my headlights are on. When the headlights are off the break light works fine. This seems to be a popular issue with many Mercury milians. The part was $377 to replace it and I have no had the car a full year. Also my driver's side actuator in my headlight went as well. My first car purchased ever and it was Ford and I have had nothing but issue with the car. Disappointing.

- Falls , PA, USA

Feb 212015

Milan 6-cyl

I was issued a warning by local police that my left rear taillight was not working. This is an led array that has been replaced once before. On investigation, I observed that the taillight only works intermittently, and will flicker on and off when the headlights are on. Further, there is no brightness difference between braking and non braking intensity.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Milan 6-cyl

Tail lights stay illuminated bright whenever the head/parking lights are on. Have been told this numerous times even by tenn highway patrol. Took it mtn view Ford, my regular dealer who replaced the brake light switch under premiumcare for the $100 deductible. Then they told me that I needed to replace both of my tail lights which is $375 each plus labor due to the fact that they were led lights and could not be repaired. This very disheartening since I see that this is evidently a common problem with these vehicles and is not covered under the extended warranty. I guess Ford knew that there would be a problem with the lights and excluded it. I need the NHTSA to have a recall issued so Ford will admit their problem and make it right for their consumers. The approximately $1000 dollars to repair this is unreasonable when a simple bulb change could have resolved the problem. Yes, I did have a throttle body problem which was repaired under my warranty before the recall and when the recall was issued mtn view Ford sent me a check for my $100 deductible. I wonder what will go wrong next. The only injury or fatality due to this is may wallet.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Sep 012014

Milan 4-cyl

When the headlights are on the rear driver's side tail light does not light as brightly as the passenger side. I have had several people bring this to my attention beginning in approximately Sept 2014. My sister in law followed me one night and it drove her absolutely crazy. I have had many people express concerns that I may get stopped for this. I inquired yesterday at the Ford dealer about getting this fixed and was told that the whole unit needs to be replaced because they are led lights. Approximate cost is $410 plus tax. I since have looked on line to inquire about replacing it myself and found that this is a common problem for Mercury Milan and Ford Fusion.

- Freeport, IL, USA

May 012014

Milan 4-cyl

It first started with the passenger rear tail light. The led brakelight failed, led lights are known to last for 20+ years and these lasted about four. After that a bulb went out, when the bulb was replaced it still didn't resolve the issue. There are two components to the tail light, an inner light attached to the rear trunk and a outer light on the actual rear body. First, the inner passenger went out, then the inner driver's and then the outside passenger. Now finally, the outside driver's side has started flickering. Doing minor google searches immediately returns results with other vehicles having the same problem.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 082014

Milan 4-cyl

When turning on the headlights, the left and right rear tail light illuminate as if you are braking. They remain on with no discernible difference between non braking and braking actions. This can lead to a potential safety hazard and the potential to be rear ended. The tail light assembly in these models is faulty and needs to be addressed. Ford does not seem willing to help with this matter.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA