3.0

2011 Mercury Milan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Mercury Milan:

2011 Mercury Milan Owner Comments

Aug 122015

Milan

Both brake lights when out, and went in for replacement bulbs after waiting in the dealership for 7 hours I was told that the led brake lights were defective and it would be well over 1,000 to fix. I purchased an extended warranty that they say covers nothing!!!! (currently have a broken D riverside door handle). I purchased the car used last may, within 3 weeks I had transmission issues which were covered by the warranty, then the door handle, now brake lights. I feel these lights should be part of a recall becuz who has over 1,000 dollars to replace led brake lights"?" I'm very upset and disappointed....also broke and can't afford this repair......please help!!!!!!!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 062015

Milan

The driver's side brake light began flickering after the car was parked. I was also informed after this was noticed that it flickers (gets brighter) while driving. The passenger brake light also stayed brightly illuminated last year, and I was told it would be over $500 to replace the light assembly. Fortunately, my vehicle sustained an accident and the passenger light was damaged further and replaced. Now a defect is occurring on the driver's side.

- Rhinelander , WI, USA

Feb 252015

Milan 4-cyl

Brought the car for state safety inspection. Inspection failed because brake lights would not increase brightness when brakes applied and headlamps on. Lights appear ok when headlamps not on. Car is unsafe to drive when headlights are required. Ford says not covered under warranty or under extended warranty. Could cost nearly $1000 to repair. Online forums seem to indicate it is a common problem. Afraid to drive the car for fear it will happen again and I won't know until someone runs into me.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Nov 062014

Milan 6-cyl

The left rear brake light is not functioning. This light is not a normal incandescent bulb. It is an led that is not owner-serviceable. The only fix is that the entire taillight assembly needs to be replaced by the dealer at a cost of approximately $400. Any buyer's expectation is that when a light bulb burns out, we should be able to replace it ourselves for fifty cents. Since this 50-cent item is now unexpectedly $400, the net effect is that all owners will continue to drive around with two of three, one of three or no brake lights at all. This should be an immediate safety recall.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 162014

Milan

I was made aware of my tail light not functioning when I applied the brakes. When I tried to replace the bulb, I soon learned that the brake light is led and a sealed unit, making it virtually impossible to repair. The replacement unit is astronomically expensive, prices between $150-$350 used. If the unit had a replaceable bulb, then I wouldn't even be writing this. I understand that nothing will most likely be done about this, but it is worth noting that this is a safety concern that needs to be addressed.

- Van Etten, NY, USA

May 072014

Milan

The led tail lamp assembly began flickering and after a short period of time it now does not light at all. I have noted other Milan vehicles in my area having similar problems. I attempted to obtain parts to repair my vehicle online and also through my Ford dealer and was told that there is a shortage of parts because this defect is well known. This could certainly cause an accident at any time! I cannot park my vehicle as I need to get back and forth to work. If I receive a fix-it ticket for this I would like to bill it to Ford. If a recall can be forced to issue then I hope that you initiate one.

- Dows, IA, USA

Mar 252013

Milan

I bought my Milan at a used Ford dealer when the car was 2 years old. When I was driving off of the lot my husband was following me and noticed that the brake light on the passenger side was out. One year later the brake light on the other (driver) side is out. The car is no longer under factory warranty and the dealer said it would cost total of $417. This obviously is a safety issue that should be addressed.

- Riverview, MI, USA

May 032014

Milan 6-cyl

Was stopped by a policeman because he said my right taillight was going crazy, blinking, acting wrong for a braking process. I had no indication that my right tail light did not work and also that my right signal light did not work. There is no indication that the blinker was not working. Prior to being stopped by the policeman, I had a driver shake their head at me when I was trying to change lanes to a right lane and she would not let me in to exit right. I did not know that the right signal was not working. This is an extremely unsafe condition because the car doe not register any indication that the light is not working for the brake and also for the signal. In addition, Ford will not replace these light assemblies without charging for them, which cost $500 each. It is not a simple bulb replacement, but instead an entire tail light assembly for $500. I had mine replaced but only because the dealer argued with them and I had to pay $100 deductible for my extended warranty. The dealer told me that if the left tail light goes out, this cost will not be covered by Ford and I will have to pay the entire cost of $500. Just the fact that this is a serious safety issue, I would think this would be a recall event. This tail light issue is also occurring on other Ford cars, including the Lincoln mkz.

- Vadnais Heights, MN, USA