NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2011 Mercury Milan (Page 1 of 2)

2011 Mercury Milan lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Mercury Milan:

2011 Mercury Milan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 282015

Driver's side brake light stays illuminated all the time while vehicle is on and while driving, instead of only turning on when brake is pressed down. In November I noticed the driver's side brake light begin to flicker while parked. Since it is a malfunction with the led lights, the entire brake light housing would have to be replaced, a roughly $410 repair. For as often as I have seen other 2011 Mercury Milan owners complain about this, you would think this would have been recalled already. I have been told the brake light constantly staying on is distracting and very bright to other drivers behind me.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Apr 062015

The driver's side brake light began flickering after the car was parked. I was also informed after this was noticed that it flickers (gets brighter) while driving. The passenger brake light also stayed brightly illuminated last year, and I was told it would be over $500 to replace the light assembly. Fortunately, my vehicle sustained an accident and the passenger light was damaged further and replaced. Now a defect is occurring on the driver's side.

- Rhinelander , WI, USA

Jun 252015

My brake light/ running lights on my rear passenger side doesn't work. They are led so I believe after less then 5 years they shouldn't blow.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Feb 022015

Milan 4-cyl

The led assembly responsible for illumination of the brake lights has failed prematurely presenting a potential safety concern. Ford charges an exorbitant fee ($376) for the hardware alone, not including the price for installation. This cost is unreasonable to replace faulty components which provide safety functionality. This has been referred to by the mechanics at the dealership as a "common" problem, so should it not be worthy of a safety recall?

- Obion, TN, USA

Oct 012014

Milan 6-cyl

Break lights stayed on /illuminated when head lights were on thus having no brake lights at night. Luckily, my husband was following behind me in his vehicle and noticed I had no brake lights. Dealer replaced both tail light assemblies due to an electrical short.($1100) this is dangerous driving at night. Manufacture needs to recall their faulty tail lights.

- Live Oak, TX, USA

Sep 182014

Milan 4-cyl

Right rear tail and brake light stopped working, about 2 weeks later they flickered and came back on. They went out again 2 days later and have been out for about 2 months. Called dealership and they said it wasn't covered under warranty and would have to replace the whole tail/brake light unit at a cost of about $500. I contacted Ford customer service three times and they said it was a light problem and not under warranty by them. It treated as a light bulb problem, but a $500 light bulb!!!! Ford needs to fix this problem.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

Nov 062014

Milan 6-cyl

The left rear brake light is not functioning. This light is not a normal incandescent bulb. It is an led that is not owner-serviceable. The only fix is that the entire taillight assembly needs to be replaced by the dealer at a cost of approximately $400. Any buyer's expectation is that when a light bulb burns out, we should be able to replace it ourselves for fifty cents. Since this 50-cent item is now unexpectedly $400, the net effect is that all owners will continue to drive around with two of three, one of three or no brake lights at all. This should be an immediate safety recall.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Right rear tail light started flickering bright to dim. After a couple of days it went out completely. Was replaced under extended warranty - but cost would have been over $350 dollars which makes it cost prohibitive for some I am sure (why should a "bulb" going out cost so much to fix). Very poor design and even worse manufacturing of part.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Nov 032014

Milan 6-cyl

Right rear tail light not working properly. Running light (right bottom) is working but all other leds have failed. This is a replace all part costing over $300. This has happened on my other Milan - luckily before the warranty ran out. Seems to be an issue with this model and can be a safety hazard.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

May 052014

The tail lights doesn't come on when the night lights come on. The brake lights are faulty as well. The brake lights flicker. They just went out.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 132014

Right rear brake light failed. Led brake light must be replaced as an assembly at a cost of over $300.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Milan 4-cyl

Left rear brake/tail lamp stays in brake lamp mode continuously when headlamps are on. Center high mount and right rear lamp function properly. Safety issue.

- Chelsea, MI, USA

Sep 162014

I was made aware of my tail light not functioning when I applied the brakes. When I tried to replace the bulb, I soon learned that the brake light is led and a sealed unit, making it virtually impossible to repair. The replacement unit is astronomically expensive, prices between $150-$350 used. If the unit had a replaceable bulb, then I wouldn't even be writing this. I understand that nothing will most likely be done about this, but it is worth noting that this is a safety concern that needs to be addressed.

- Van Etten, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Milan 6-cyl

Led tail lights failed for the second time. The cost of the replacement tail lights is astronomical at $376 each. There was no collision, no water intrusion. They just failed.

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 072014

The led tail lamp assembly began flickering and after a short period of time it now does not light at all. I have noted other Milan vehicles in my area having similar problems. I attempted to obtain parts to repair my vehicle online and also through my Ford dealer and was told that there is a shortage of parts because this defect is well known. This could certainly cause an accident at any time! I cannot park my vehicle as I need to get back and forth to work. If I receive a fix-it ticket for this I would like to bill it to Ford. If a recall can be forced to issue then I hope that you initiate one.

- Dows, IA, USA

Jun 232014

Milan 6-cyl

Passenger side tail light went out. These are led's and not suppose to burn out. In looking for this problem with Milan's on the internet I found a number of incidents referring to the same thing. Cost of repair is $400 plus. Called Ford customer service and they know nothing about this problem.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Mar 252013

I bought my Milan at a used Ford dealer when the car was 2 years old. When I was driving off of the lot my husband was following me and noticed that the brake light on the passenger side was out. One year later the brake light on the other (driver) side is out. The car is no longer under factory warranty and the dealer said it would cost total of $417. This obviously is a safety issue that should be addressed.

- Riverview, MI, USA

May 192014

Milan 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 2011 Mercury Milan less than four years old and with almost 25,000 miles on it. Recently the left rear tail light / brake light assembly burned out on me. I took my car to a local Ford dealer and they told me that there is no way to repair the tail light / brake light assembly, and that the solution is to replace the tail light / brake light assembly. I had it replaced for over $400 I am disappointed in the life span of this important piece of safety equipment. I am also disappointed that Ford would design this important piece of safety equipment in such a way that it cannot be repaired. I would like the federal gov't to look into this issue.

- Lowell, MA, USA

May 032014

Milan 6-cyl

Was stopped by a policeman because he said my right taillight was going crazy, blinking, acting wrong for a braking process. I had no indication that my right tail light did not work and also that my right signal light did not work. There is no indication that the blinker was not working. Prior to being stopped by the policeman, I had a driver shake their head at me when I was trying to change lanes to a right lane and she would not let me in to exit right. I did not know that the right signal was not working. This is an extremely unsafe condition because the car doe not register any indication that the light is not working for the brake and also for the signal. In addition, Ford will not replace these light assemblies without charging for them, which cost $500 each. It is not a simple bulb replacement, but instead an entire tail light assembly for $500. I had mine replaced but only because the dealer argued with them and I had to pay $100 deductible for my extended warranty. The dealer told me that if the left tail light goes out, this cost will not be covered by Ford and I will have to pay the entire cost of $500. Just the fact that this is a serious safety issue, I would think this would be a recall event. This tail light issue is also occurring on other Ford cars, including the Lincoln mkz.

- Vadnais Heights, MN, USA

May 222014

Milan 4-cyl

I purchased a Mercury Milan with 13K miles on it. This vehicle was a certified pre-owned car with a full warranty. After driving it 10K miles, the right rear tail light does not work and the whole right rear taillight assembly must be replaced. This part in not under warranty and will cost $219. To replace. This seems to be a recurring problem for Ford based on owner comments and should be recalled and replaced by Ford at no charge to its customers. This is definitely a safety hazard as the person behind you will not see any lights indicating you are stopping or slowing down.

- Lancaster, PA, USA