1.9

2004 Mercury Monterey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Monterey:

2004 Mercury Monterey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 012011

Monterey

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Monterey. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently jerk and stall while driving at various speeds above 30 mph. Upon restart, the vehicle would operate as normal. The contact also stated that upon examining the vehicle, he noticed that water was penetrating the power train control module and corroding various components. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- Sugar Creek, MO, USA

Sep 192011

Monterey 6-cyl

It is a well cared for 2004 that all of a sudden started to have a little shake when accelerating. Once I got up past 50-55ish it almost went away. I assumed I had a wheel out of balance so when I had it in for an oil change a few days later, I had them do a rotation and balance. That really didn't fix anything and it got worse. If I was accelerating up hill(which I have to do a lot since I live at the bottom of a hill) then it was like I was driving over hundreds of broomsticks that someone had lay across the road. I took it to a shop (not my usual one, but it was very close to home) to see what they thought. They looked and said cv shaft. When I was able to get it into my regular shop two days later, they looked at it and said 'found transaxle output shaft bearing on right side axle very loose causing excessive movement with right axle.' He said the right axle was basically loose where it attached to the transmission. They said they would have to research if it was actually a bushing or a bearing in order to tell me the repair cost. Monday morning I get a call saying basically I need a new transmission. Now the vibration isn't as bad, but is still there. It also feels like it is wanting to take off while I am driving at a constant speed. Not chugging out, but like all of a sudden it gets a little surge of power then stops. Almost as if someone else is tapping on the gas pedal, then letting off. This happens whether I am using the cruise control or not.

- Gilbert, MN, USA

Sep 092011

Monterey 6-cyl

Our family of five was traveling in the middle lane of a three-lane highway with the cruise control set at 60 mph. We encountered a hill and -┐┐ without warning -┐┐ the vehicle tachometer violently increased RPM and we began to slow down. Fortunately the traffic was light and despite the road construction, there was a shoulder to safely pull onto. While we are grateful that there was no accident and that everybody escaped any harm (especially our three kids in car seats), I would hate to think about what could have happened during "┐┐rush hour"Ł with a tractor trailer behind me.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Monterey 6-cyl

First occurrence at 43K miles. Traveling at about 40 mph on main road when engine speed increased and vehicle drifted powerless to the side of the road. Examination by Ford advised bad trans, first time they'd seen the problem. Not covered under extended warranty. Estimated repair - $3500. Took vehicle to aamco - initial estimate $2000 but once opened up advised that full rebuild was required due to extensive metal fragment penetration throughout system. Cost - $3500. On 6/2/11 was traveling at 35mph on local road. On accelerating after a right turn, the entire vehicle shuddered and the engine speed increased. Vehicle drifted powerless to the side of the road again - roughly 40K miles on rebuilt transmission (83K total vehicle miles). In checking transmission fluid level, there appeared to be water in the system. Towed to Ford dealer, advised that this was not a normal occurrence and they didn't see if often. Advised that, based on age and mileage of vehicle, transmission should just be replaced. Estimated cost - $3500. Vehicle is now on second transmission at less than 85K miles.

- Potomac Falls, VA, USA

Sep 042011

Monterey 6-cyl

2004 Mercury Monterey van. Transmission warning light appeared blinking and could smell burning transmission fluid while driving up a canyon road. Stopped car off road and shut down. Waited 25 minutes to allow transmission to cool. Noticed some spill of fluid on road. Headed back down canyon road but only traveled 5 miles down when warning light came back on. After traveling less than 1/2 mile, van came to uphill climb and slowed down to a complete stall. No room or safe place to pull car over so coasted car backward hoping no other car would be approaching. Reached lowest part of road and pulled backward into private drive. Car never would engage again after waiting over 40 minutes. Had owner of property tow the van home which took over one hour down through dangerous canyon road. As it happened over labor day weekend, no place to drop van off for services. Car engine operating but transmission not engaging in any drive gears.

- Eastlake, CO, USA

Jun 242011

Monterey 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Mercury Monterey wit 71,000 miles on it. I was driving home from church vbs June 24 at 10 pm with my kids going 55 mph when the rpms started revving up. I ended up in a really bad place that could've been fatal. We were in a curve on a high traffic road with a about a 3ft ditch beside us and I was not able to pull off the road. The only thing that saved us was my husband was still at the church and was able to get to us with some friends from church and helped tow the van to our house. There was no warning just stopped moving and rpms revving up. I have 4 kids and just paid a huge down payment on this van so I have no money to fix it. Ford is not standing behind their product. I have had two Chevrolet in the past that didn't experience transmission problems until after 250,000 miles. Please help!

- Chadbourn, NC, USA

Apr 112011

Monterey

While traveling in heavy traffic on I-95 South at the Connecticut/New York border at 55 mph the tachometer had a sudden and dramatic rise in RPM's but all power out to the drive wheels was lost. It was as if the transmission went into neutral. Luckily, we were able to pull off the highway and avoided being run over by a semi. After stopping on the shoulder with the brakes releasewd and the transmission gear selector still in drive the van proceeded to roll backwards down the hill we had to stop on. We were left in a precarious position between the guardrail and the cars and trucks still moving on the highway. Luckily we weren't hit by any passing vehicles! this was a very dangerous occurance. Being a common problem that has been continually reported to your Agency and there is an ongoing class action suit againt Ford Motor Company for this problem, I think there should be some kind of investigation of this problem of this problem and Ford should be made to notify oi ers of this vehicle of the problem before someone does get killed or seriously injured. I feel this is definitely a safety related problem.

- Hampden, MA, USA

Apr 012004

Monterey

I backed out of a parking space and attempted to put my vehicle in drive. The vehicle would not go and had to be towed. I am told by the Ford dealership that the transmission needs to be replaced and it will cost aprox. $3,000.

- Quincy, MI, USA

Nov 152010

Monterey 6-cyl

2004 Mercury Monterey mini van transmission went out on highway no warning cost $3000 to fix at aamco approx.90,000 mile on vehicle.trans. Was serviced 3 times at regular intervals and was never abused.trans. Failure was the same as ongoing complaint on edmunds, there is a problem here that Ford needs to recall and or rebate, before someone gets hurt while driving these vehicles!!!

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Jun 052010

Monterey 6-cyl

My wife was driving my 2004 Mercury Monterey around the perimeter of our local mall. Suddenly the van slowed, and she noticed the tachometer showed the rpms increasing as the pressed the accelerator. The van stopped dead. She had to call me to push the van into a parking space until we could have it towed the following day. The could have been extremely dangerous in traffic. I have a handicapped 19 year old daughter, and rely on this van for her transportation, so on top of the safety issue, this is a tremendous inconvenience for us.

- Albany, GA, USA

Sep 272010

Monterey

2004 Mercury Monterey - wife driving down the highway (with one child as a passenger) at 65 mph. Vehicle lost all ability to accelerate. No gear. Had to coast to the side of the highway (during rush hour) where there was little to no room to even exit the vehicle safely. She was stuck in the vehicle while cars and trucks sped by rapidly often coming close to hitting her. Police were called and also a tow truck. The van had no movement in any gear. Only had park and neutral. Van was towed and the problem was determined to be a failed torque converter. Specifically the splines inside the converter where the shaft coming out of the transmission engages. Repair cost plus tow is $2000. Luckily no one was hurt but it was a very dangerous situation. After some research there is apparently a class action suit against Ford on this issue and a NHTSA investigation underway (EA09016).

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 162010

Monterey

Traveling along rt.270 towards St.louis regional airport at 60 mpr lost go power. Luckily engine continued to run so was able to move out of traffic and pull over on shoulder. Having being pulled to nearest Mercury dealer they found the torque converter had gone out worth over $1500.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Aug 282010

Monterey

2004 Mercury Monterey lost power while driving 65mph on freeway. I was able to coast to the next exit ramp and called a tow truck. Van is at mechanic, but I suspect it is a bad torque converter.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jul 072010

Monterey

Our 2004 Mercury Monterey has approx.64,000. On July 7,2010 the torque converter output shaft failed. The vehicle is now having to have the transmission rebuilt. Approximate cost $3,000.

- Denver, NC, USA

Mar 272009

Monterey

While traveling back to Connecticut from our winter home in Florida, our 2004 Mercury Monterey mini van's torque converter and pump shaft broke and left us on the side of the road in North Carolina. Luckily our grandchildren live close to where we broke down, however we are now stranded in nc for several days while the local Ford dealership (crossroads Ford cary, nc) waits on parts and fixes the problem. My wife and I have medical conditions that require us to see specific medical doctors, which we have to make appointments for months in advance, and we are now in danger of missing our much needed check ups. We have done some research on the issue and it appears that this has been a recurring issue with the Ford/Mercury mini-vans, however Ford has not done anything to help the consumer. As a loyal Ford customer in the my late 70's, I purchased this vehicle hoping it would last a long time and possibly be the last vehicle my wife and I purchased. Ford has told us our vehicle is out of warranty and therefore not their problems, but we only have 25,000 miles on the vehicle, so there is no reason this was caused by normal wear and tear. The fact that this same failure has occurred in so many of this model vehicles indicates a design flaw, and Ford needs to be held responsible for this.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Dec 302008

Monterey

Transmission failure. Transmission refused to engage while in traffic. Parked vehicle. Have not repaired yet. This is a Mercury Monterey with only 38,500 miles. I have already replaced the power window motor on drivers side. There are many owners complaining about this same problem. Ford should recall or fix for free.

- Zanesville, OH, USA