2002 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems: cracked panel below the rear window

Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window

2002 Mercury Mountaineer

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mercury dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

7.4

2. repair/replace by factory (2 reports)
2002 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Jun 082010

Mountaineer 4.0L V6

Every other car Explorer or Mountaineer from this time period has a cracked rear tailgate.

- , Lakeville, MN, USA

Feb 072003

Mountaineer SUV V8

Butt Heads finally figured out design problem after two attempts and me telling them that the crack would open and close according to the weather. They finally affixed the plastic panel at the two ends rather then all across which had caused it to crack. Now in the summer time it bellys out and looks awful. The 2nd time it cracked I had to pay for but they just replaced the plastic. My Brother in VA has a 2002 Mountaineer V6 and the same thing happened to him. I prefer American products but my experience with Mecury/Ford will certainly keep me from ever doing business with them in the future. They knew it was a design flaw and took no responsibility for it. The Ford dealer in Kingsport TN replaced the battery when my Truck broke down, It was only 6 months old but he insisted and I had to be towed again. Took it to a local mechanic who replaced the Starter Motor and it never again broke down. So much for Ford/Mercury!!!

- , Gray, TN, USA

Jan 132012

Mountaineer 4.0L Sohc

Disappointed in Ford Motor Company's inattention to this almost universal Explorer/Mountgaineer/Aviator problem.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 062012

Mountaineer V6

This is a faulty auto body component. Come on now. did not even happen when the window was being shut, just walked out one morning and saw this panel cracked in half. Manufacturer dealership has no reasonable solution except to buy a new one and have them install.

- , Wyoming, MI, USA

Jul 202009

Mountaineer

When I first bought my Mountaineer I had to replace the cracked rear back panel at the cost of $500. Now that panel, a couple of months ago, just flew off the car as I was driving down the road! There is an obvious flaw in these panels on Mountaineers and Explorers because everywhere I look I see either a crack in the panel, half the panel is missing or in my case just gone. Ford/Mercury should man up and recall these because it is obviously a widespread problem.

- , Chapel Hill, TN, USA

Sep 012010

Mountaineer 4.6L V8

I got the Mountaineer from a car lot in Detroit Michigan in October of 2009. Was out of work and I found a job in Alabama. Traveling down to Alabama, I noticed that in my rear view mirror that it looked like I ran over something. When I got to Alabama I notice that the part under the rear window was completely gone. When to the local dealership to find out about how much it will cost and they told me that it would be 599 dollars, and he told me that they had lots of these coming back because of cracking in the middle. Before I put 600 dollars into a small peice of plastic I will look at junk yards to find a peice, I think this part should be recalled, so a lot of people would have a peace of mind.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 012008

Mountaineer LX V6

In 2008 I was also told by my dealer that Ford will not cover the cost of repairing the cracked hatch on my 2002 Mountaineer. I'M PISSED AND HERE'S WHY. I've been a LOYAL FORD/MERCURY owner my ENTIRE LIFE, and I stress the words LOYAL and ENTIRE. Here we go.....I'm 47 years old and here are all of the cars I've owned in my life (including my wife and 2 children): 1963 Ford Falcon, 1965 Ford Fairlane, 1974 Mercury Comet, 1977 Ford Pinto, 1985 Ford F-150 Pick-Up Truck, 1992 Lincoln TownCar; 1997 Ford Probe, 2001 Lincoln Towncar; 2002 Mercury Mountaineer; 2009 Smart Car (my parents owned an LTD,a Comet, a Granada, a Taurus and an F-150). See a pattern here? After explaining this to both my local dealer as well as Ford Customer Service in 2008, I was told "we're sorry, there's nothing we can do." Well Ford, here's what I reluctantly CAN/MUST do: 1. NEVER EVER EVER purchase another Ford/Mercury/Lincoln/Mazda/Volvo (no chance I would've purchased an Aston Martin, Jaguar or Land Rover anyway). 2. TELL EACH AND EVERY one of my friends, relatives, business associates etc. about your complete lack of product quality and more importantly, your failure to stand behind your product. 3. START A FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE PAGE whose soul purpose is to unite fellow owners of these vehicles. 4. FOLLOW Up with the BBB regarding my complaint. Do you realize how this action (inaction more appropriately) has and will continue to erode you LOYAL customer base? DO YOU NOT GET IT..... All for a $ 300-$ 400 repair for a DESIGN flaw. And yes, that's why my 2009 purchase wasn't a Ford. Thanks for listening guys and good luck with your vehicles.

- , Mohrsville, PA, USA

Jan 012006

Mountaineer V8

Problem started with one minor crack on the rear deck just below the window, around the emblem and has gotten progressively worse. There now are a half a dozen cracks across the back running vertically from the base of the tailgate window. The longest is about 3-4 inches long.

Contacted the local dealer some time ago and he said "Never seen that before!"

Called Ford Service center to see if anything can be done. They said not in warranty, no recalls ... Suggested a take it back to the dealer for a diagnosis ... at my expense by the way.

Have decided to leave it be for now. Will certainly take it into consideration on my next purchase.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Nov 272009

Mountaineer 4.0L V6

Can anyone tell me if ford is covering this problem??? I noticed I am not the only one this happened to.

- , Rhinelander, WI, USA

Jan 012010

Mountaineer V8

The rear panel below the window cracked, and it really looks awful.I'm hoping to get this fixed by the manufacture or dealer. I'm not sure if they even cover this problem, although I noticed there has been several complaint pertaining to this type of vehicle and it is an on going problem.

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Nov 042008

Mountaineer 6.0

This is so severe that is has almost cracked all the way through, right by the mercury emblem. I'm actually afraid I'm going to find that it has fallen out one day. They did have a recall on the latch on this vehicle, but my issue. I'm not happy. I have also seen some Ford Explorers with the exact problem.

Also, it has electrical issues...weird things, it's like a haunted vehicle. For example, I can't turn the sound down on radio, the AC and fuel gauge not working, then working again spontaneously.

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Feb 122009

Mountaineer Premium 4.6L V8

Don't know how it happened, but I notice there are several with the same problem here. I also notice several on the road, now that I look. Now I know why the 2006 & up got rid of this panel. It cracks all the time! This is definitely a problem that Ford doesn't want to deal with, and more than likely CAN'T AFFORD to in this economy. Just sucks.

- , Largo, FL, USA

Dec 252008

Mountaineer V6 V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

One day it was a bit loose by the right hand end, the next day half of it was gone!

What do I do? Apparently Explorers suffer from the same manufacturers problem.

Can we petition a re-call???

What's the name of the part? anyone?

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 012006

Mountaineer

I am very unhappy with the whole situation. It has made it very difficult daily to open and close the back door. I think Mercury should stand by their product and fix it.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 182007

Mountaineer

When rear window recall was issued I got out of the habit of using the rear lift for a while. Now that I have started using, I noticed the cracking starting, it is now on both sides with another crack starting near the bottom. I went to a body shop they took a look and said that when repaired, apparently it had been tightened too tight. I am gonna contact the dealer that repaired however I am not sure what the outcome will be since it has been so long since they repaired. I will update you as to what happens. In any event, somebody (perhaps a recall notice from Ford) really should fix this.

Update from Apr 29, 2009: I have noticed numerous vehicles with this same problem. I contacted the dealer, who really could care less and said they had never heard of this.

Since then, I am sure I have seen thousands of vehicles of this type with the same cracking issue.

Isn't there something that can be done?

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 092007

Mountaineer

Ford replaced it when it was under warranty. The service writer told me that the fix is temporary at best and he'd had several vehicles come back to get the piece replaced several times.

Because the piece comes as unpainted plastic there is no quick fix but a trip to the body shop is required. 20k miles later I have the same problem and it is getting worse. I stopped using the window liftgate to try to stop the spread.

When I talked to the Ford dealer he couldn't care less. I think once Ford fixes the problem they should have stood behind the fix once I came out of warranty but they aren't interested. I found this site today because of a recall notice on the lifgate glass hinge needing replacement and thought they might extend that warranty to cover this issue-but no luck.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 202007

Mountaineer 4.0L V6

Apparently, I'm not the only one out here to have this problem. Go check the 2002 Ford Explorer complaint section where it's the leading complaint by far! This problem has plagued me for at least 2 yrs. The dealer said it's out of warranty and I'm still waiting for the zone person to call .... it's been 6 months and I sure didn't hold my breath. This and other problems have convinced me why they're getting their tails kicked by the Japanese cars. My next vehicle will be a Toyota, Honda or Hyundai. My daughter's Sonata has 85,000mi and still kicking.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA