1. had to have the transmision rebuilt (5 reports)
2004 Mercury Mountaineer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Mountaineer:

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Aug 112015

Mountaineer LX 4.6L

The same transmission in the 04/05 Ford Explorer was installed in my mountaineer. The problem is he transmissions were defective and cause every owner this problem sooner than later.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 202013

Mountaineer ES V6

Had to have my 2004 transmission replaced in 2012 because the fluid dried up. It's a closed system. Now................................... it's starting to act up again. What's going on here?

- , Vero Beach, FL, USA

Oct 162013

Mountaineer LX V6

2004 Maintainer (V6) transmission failed after 76,000 miles. It costs $2,600 to rebuild the transmission. Ford doesn't want to offer any discount for the repair.

- , Troy, MI, USA

Oct 132012

Mountaineer V6

My transmission gave out the first time @33,000 on Feb 2008. It gave out a second time @ 77,184 on October 13, 2012. I started doing research online on this truck and i found a lot of complaints on this trucks transmission. Yet Ford is not willing to do a recall on it.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 052011

Mountaineer 4.0L V6

transmission went out 3,750.00, seal broke two weeks later.

- , Lakeland, FL, canada

May 122010

Mountaineer 4.0 V6

I purchased my SUV in December of 2008, the truck had 43,000 miles on it and it drove great. When I got up to about 60,000 miles I noticed that the transmission would sort of lag a little before it would shift so I brought it into the dealer to have them take a look at it. They checked the tranny fluid, hooked it up to their machines AND took it for a road test twice and were unable to duplicate what I had experienced. They said as far as they can tell the tranny was in perfect working condition. The next day I was on my way to work accelerating from 30mph up to 40mph and the transmission completely went out. The Dealer Quoted me $3,900 for the work. I found a local shop and ended up paying about $1,900 and didn't have anything to drive for five days straight. This experience was a HUGE inconvenience for me!

- , Red Wing, MN, USA