2.3

2003 Mini Cooper drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mini Cooper:

2003 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Apr 282010

Cooper

I parked my 2003 MINICooper S at work, and shut the car off. When I got out of the car, I noticed the power steering pump was still running. I was going into the office get a wrench to disconnect the battery, and within 5 min, an email was sent out "2003 MINIcooper heavily smoking in parking lot." As soon as I got out there, the fire/smoke has been put out by a coolant line that split open by the fire and put the flames out. When I looked under the car, I could see the power steering pump completely burnt. I filed a claim with my insurance company, and so far this is over $4,000 worth of damage. I am filing this complaint as I have done much research on the internet and have found this is not a rare incidence. In fact, it is very common, and BMW refuses to recall this faulty designed part. I am just so fortunate that this did not happen in my garage. This needs to be addressed and investigate by someone other than BMW, as they have stated publicly there is no problem. I will provide any evidence needed to help this investigation. There is a MINIcooper community that shares their problems and frustrations here: www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/73527-spontaneous-engine-bay-fires.html the list is only growing, as this is a very common issue. I hope it doesn't take a death for BMW to recognize there is an issue.

- Lakeville, MN, USA