Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2004 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2004 Mini Cooper miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mini Cooper:

2004 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Dec 282010

1. 04 MINICooper S power steering failure while driving. Occasionally while driving the pump will loose power and steering will be very difficult. Power steering fan stays on after vehicle is turned off which tends to drain the battery. 2. eventually the pump started leaking and fan stop working needing replacement. Loss all power steering while driving. 3. replaced pump and fan with new units and problem is temporarily fixed but problem has come back. Noticing the same symptoms from #.1 post happening again.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jun 152008

My power steering fails intermittently without notice. Eventually a high pitched weeing sound was noticeable. The sound eventually stopped. We turned the car off for the evening. The next morning the battery (only 1 year old) was completely dead. After getting the battery charged and functional, I proceeded to do some research and phone calling to find out the cause of the noise. Come to find out the problem is the power steering pump and is something that will need to be replaced.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Nov 302008

While driving on the freeway my power steering pump died I could hardly change lanes on the freeway, it felt like my steering wheel had locked, turning in any angle was very hard worst than driving a truck, I kept a firm grip with one hand while trying to control the gears, my arms, back, and hand is still hurting, had no warning signals, it wheel just locked up and was very hard to managed I wasnt able to handle the car did not feel safe, did not have full control of handling the steering this is serious protential accident waiting to happen I called the dealer and was told that there were recalls but not for my VIN 2004. My MINIis now in the repair shop to have the pump replace and the fan. This is a deadly issue and MINIshould recall and pay for this problem for those of us who had to pay out of pocket we should get refunds, so far out of pocket is over $1100, I hope this send a message to the manaufacture that lives are at stake here, great car but not safe to drive without full control. I'm so thankful I didnt have to move quickly out of the way or I would not be here to report this bad experience I lost a day of work trying to get this resolved and the cost of a rental car.

- Rancho Dominguez, CA, USA