CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2004 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2004 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mini Cooper:

2004 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 14 of 21)

Jun 052010

Cooper

I had driven my car ~ 40 miles at speeds ranging from 45 mph to 70 mph. The last 20 or so miles had been on an interstate. Shortly after I exited the freeway, my steering became very tight and hard to manipulate. This continued until I parked the car, about 5 miles later. When I re-started the car, the power steering had returned to normal. This has happened no less than 15 times since then. It occurs without warning and usually will correct itself if I turn the car off and restart it.

- Johnston, SC, USA

Sep 152010

Cooper

Occasional difficulty in steering my 2004 MINICooper. The steering becomes difficult and I have to turn the car off and restart it for it to work again. This happens about once a week.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 182011

Cooper 4-cyl

I have a 2004 MINICooper S with approx 80K miles. The power steering randomly and intermittently fails to work. This problem has occurred approximately six times during the last two months. I intend to replace the power steering pump, but am told that this may happen again, even with replaced pump.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Apr 052011

Cooper

The contact owns a 2004 MINICooper S. the contact was driving 40 mph when the power steering malfunctioned and the vehicle became extremely difficult to steer. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic where he was advised that the power steering pump and the rack of the rack and pinion would need replacing. The mechanic replaced both the rack and power steering pump. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Apr 022011

Cooper 4-cyl

Acute loss of power steering in my 2004 MINICooper S. I was driving normally and was pulling onto the interstate when the steering became very difficult. I was able to continue to steer the vehicle but it required a great deal of effort. I've been told by my mechanic that it doesn't involve the failure of the power steering pump fan...the fan has been tested and is working ok. The cost for the repair is going to be approximately $1160. My mechanic has told me that failure of the P. S. pump in this year and model MINIcooper is common.

- St Paul, MN, USA

Apr 062011

Cooper 4-cyl

For the past year, my MINICooper S has had several sudden power losses in the power steering, resulting in the car becoming difficult to control. It has been looked at by a MINIservice department, who knew about the problem, but did not inform me. My warranty was called in, and they did not authorize its repair either. I live in a remote area, with a driving need for 3-4 hours for medical care. This drive is through canyons and over mountains, so the loss of steering control is in no way an option, and may also result in an accident causing injury or worse, death. I have documentation that the complaint was made to MINIby me, and yesterday, received confirmation that they did, in fact, know about the problem.

- Lakeside, AZ, USA

Mar 292011

Cooper 4-cyl

While driving my 2004 MINICooper home from work one afternoon, I began having difficulty turning the steering wheel. After the initial failure, the problem continues to remain a constant when turning at any speed. The power steering reservoir has been checked and is low, but not empty. I understand that a power steering pump failure is common in this year, make, and model of MINICooper vehicles. The vehicle currently has just over 80K miles. No replacement parts have been ordered and no repairs have been made.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Mar 272011

Cooper

While driving my 2004 MINICooper S the power assisted steering seems to quit working. This has happened in the past and then the power assist begins working on its own and may work for quite a while then unexpectedly will stop working again. When this happens the steering becomes very difficult and requires a great deal of extra effort to turn. Many times it only stops working for one or two turns then the power assist pump begins working again. In the fall of 2010 I had to install a power steering pump "cooling fan" because it failed but the pump continues to intermittently stop working.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 242011

Cooper

The contact owns a 2004 MINICooper S. while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became very stiff and difficult to turn. The contact also stated that the steering wheel was stuck in a partially turned position but the vehicle continued to drive straight forward. The vehicle was towed to the contacts place of residence and was neither diagnosed nor repaired for the failure. The failure and current mileages were 105,683.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 232011

Cooper 4-cyl

2004 MINICooper 110K miles lost power steering wheel control, very dangerous.

- Dover, NJ, USA

Feb 052011

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering assist in my 2004 min Cooper failed while driving on highway.

- Neew Hyde Park, NY, USA

Mar 212011

Cooper 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and my power steering suddenly went out-hard to steer car. I own a 2004 MINICooper.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 152009

Cooper 4-cyl

@ approximately 85K miles power steering failure intermittently became an issue on 2004 MINICooper S. @ 95K miles power steering became complete failure.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Mar 182011

Cooper

The power steering unit in my 2004 MINICooper has been acting strange for several months. It would sporadically cut off making the car difficult to steer. This has happened several times while the car was in motion. Luckily, all of the incidents happened when the car was moving slow. Now the car has no power steering at all. It completely failed today. Our MINICooper only has 43,000 miles on it. Imagine if I was driving over 30 miles and hour and the power steering cut off! I feel like the car is very dangerous to drive. I am very nervous about parking the car since the power steering is intermittent, I hope that it doesn't cut out when I turn into a parking space, which would increase the chance of hitting a parked car. I have contacted the dealership and got a quote for $1200 in parts alone. Adding the labor will bring the grand total to $1400.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 162011

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering got tighter and tighter making it really hard to turn in small corners (which are everywhere in big cities). It turns out the be a well-known issue which is power steering fluid leak. It almost got me into accidents/property damage due to tight steering.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Mar 052011

Cooper 4-cyl

2004 MINICooper power steering randomly stops working making the vehicle extremely hard to steer. Emergency maneuvers would be impossible. Must shut the vehicle off and restart to get steering back, which is not easy to do in many situations. Will work most of the time but fail once per day or so. My mechanic has ordered a new power steering pump and fan from BMW which he says is the fix for this well documented problem. If a light person was driving the car when this happens I seriously doubt they could keep the car on the road due to the arm strength required to continue steering the car. Problem could happen at any speed.

- Richmond, VT, USA

Jan 152011

Cooper

My car keeps having intermittent power steering failure. There have been no events leading up to the failure, it has been quite spontaneous, always while I am driving. I have had more than 10 instances, some extremely dangerous as I am in the middle of making a turn when the failure occurs. Nothing has been done to correct the failure as of yet; I am planning to take my car to the dealership once I have the money to do so.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 062011

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering pump failed to work, it worked off and on for a short period. I am in the process of replacing it.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Nov 102010

Cooper 4-cyl

I own a 2004 MINICooper S and lost the power steering while driving on the highway. There were no leaks detected but the ps canister was empty. The MINIwas purchased new from crown MINIin richmond, va. We are the only owners of the MINIMy wife is afraid to drive the MINInow and we wanted to report the problem as soon as possible. I have received no help from MINIafter sending them an email and calling them.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Feb 212011

Cooper 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 MINICooper S. the contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, he suddenly had a loss of power steering with out any warning. The steering became very difficult to maneuver after the failure. He was able to continue driving after restarting the vehicle. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer and it was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him that there was a tsb but no related recalls. The failure and current mileages were approximately 109,000. Updated 04/15/11

- San Carlos, CA, USA