Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2004 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2004 Mini Cooper transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mini Cooper:

2004 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Feb 162011

• CVT transmission

I owned a 2004 Mini Cooper for about a year. Since day one the transmission made strange sounds...and after a few months of owning the car the sound became worse and problems began to arise. The car would whine, and making a grinding sound under the hood as well. On several occasions while sitting at red lights the car would shake extremely hard and act like it was about to die. Also the car would jerk and shudder driving at parking lot speeds. Well finally after plenty of trips to the mechanic and thousands of dollars later my mechanic told me the transmission was failing. I did my research online and apparently the transmission (CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission) was defective in Mini Cooper automatic model years 02-06 because of BMW/Mini's high demand to manufacture the little cars so quickly. There is even a lawsuit... Well anyhow, I called Mini to see if there was anything they could do to help me out. They quoted me 10k (what I paid for the car in used condition lol) to fix the transmission issue, and I'm sure that involved a brand new CVT and then the installation. My mechanic quoted me nearly the same price. Also nobody wants to work on these cars, which is why the labor charges are so high. Any work done to a Mini involves taking the whole front apart.

I warn you, STAY AWAY FROM THESE CARS! They will only leave you feeling heartbroken and penny-less.Please take my advice, I ended up taking a huge loss and selling the vehicle for much less than I paid, and it felt even worse knowing I put nearly 4k of repairs/work into it...

- , Austin, TX, USA