CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems are a major issue with the 2005 Mini Cooper, with hundreds of owners reporting complaints to the NHTSA about their power steering suddenly failing while driving.

Some power steering failures have caused crashes & injuries. Average mileage at failure is well under 100,000 miles & the repair cost is over $1,000. Not good.

2005 Mini Cooper brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mini Cooper:

2005 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Jan 052016

Cooper

In cold weather the driver side parking brake freezes/sticks. One of many examples was this morning. It was 27 degrees in my garage and I was able to drive with no problems, I drove for a few miles with the car fully warmed up. I stopped for coffee and left the car running (wife in car) and returned no more than 5 minutes later. When I tried to drive the parking brake was not released all the way. After driving a short distance the passenger rear brake was cool to the touch but the driver side was radiating heat and smelled of burning brakes. This is an unacceptable flaw and can be dangerous. The rear calipers are relatively new and the brake fluid is flushed every two years. I also have a 2006 MINICooper that does not have this issue. A quick internet search provides numerous examples all seem to be isolated in the 2004-2005 years and in cold climates.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Aug 042014

Cooper 4-cyl

Pulled2005 MINICooper S in garage, brakes worked fine. Next day, backed car out the garage and the brake pedal went to the floor. No brakes at all! no fluid in the reservoir so I refilled it but still no brakes at all. Had car flat bedded to walsh's garage 7 mile rd redford, mi 313-532-2823 rear brake lines were totally rusted thru where the brake lines are held up to the frame. Lines were rusted thru under the bracket that is tacked to the frame. I do not drive the car in the winter and hardly ever in the rain so I can just imagine what the brake lines would like if I drove it in the winter in Michigan"? I contacted MINIusa and they did not seem to care about my brake failure?? the rep stated: " what do U want MINIto do about it"

- Livonia , MI, USA

May 302012

Cooper 4-cyl

All bulbs are good but yet I have no brake lights are turning signals top brake light is all I have when I turn on signals windows go down sunroof opens.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Aug 102011

Cooper 4-cyl

Intermediate power steering failure, ran off the road hit a fence to avoid on coming car, thank god I was not hurt, was on my way to work, after 8 hrs at work got in it steering was workin almost to my drive went out again never know when this will happen but happens quite often lately come drive it will scare your pants off.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA