2007 Mini Cooper steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mini Cooper:

2007 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Sep 242015

The contact owns a 2007 MINICooper. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning signal illuminated. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Atascocita, TX, USA

Feb 052012

The contact owns a 2007 MINICooper. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the electronic power steering unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,002... updated 09/30/15

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 052014

I was driving roughly 30 miles and hour when the power steering went out on me in a turn. Almost hit oncoming traffic prior to stopping in the middle of the road. I drove it to a nearby parking lot where it sat for two weeks before a local mechanic could look at it. I was quoted at over $1,500 to fix the part because the whole electronic power steering control box has to be replaced due to the way it was manufactured.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 252014

Cooper 4-cyl

My 2007 MINICooper only 55K mileage. At last week suddenly the steering wheel locked and stopped while on freeway which almost hit by the another car and might caused serious accident. After that I sent my car to licensed auto repair shop whose said the steering wheel was failed and need to replace it and cost around $1400 otherwise it will caused the serious accident. My car bought at original owner at July 2013 and I got a full checkup report from minicooper sf there was no problem at all. I tried to contact with MINICooper sf but they said no recall for this model of car so I need pay for it by myself to fixing the car.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 102013

Cooper 4-cyl

I was driving on a windy road when with no warning my power steering went out and forced me into on coming traffic. Luckily I was able to regain control and move to the shoulder. When I turned off the car and restarted it, the power steering was working, but stopped again at my home. The ignition key was extremely hot to the touch when I removed it.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Dec 192011

Cooper 4-cyl

I have had previous issues with the panoramic sunroof, I had to get it replaced. Then I had issues with the chain and chain tensioner and had to get that replaced too. Now the steering has failed on me, I can't start the car or even move the steering wheel. My steering is locked now; I had the car running, everything seemed to run fine and the steering worked fine. Once I shut the car off I couldn't start the car back up and my steering locked up. I had to get my car towed home. I wish BMW would do some kind of a recall on this car so we wouldn't have to pay so much money out of our own pockets!

- Plain City, OH, USA

Jun 092011

Cooper 4-cyl

Power steering failure, unable to steer the vehicle, single occurrence. Brought the car in for repair at the local dealer, waiting for diagnosis of problem.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 072011

The contact owns a 2007 MINICooper. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 65,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 242010

Cooper 4-cyl

MINIcooper electronic steering lock system critical malfunction - car with only 57,000 miles receives critical message on navigation screen telliing driver "to drive to a safe location and turn off ignition and be aware that car is unlikely to be able to be restarted." Driver is left to cope with this critical situation and repair even though MINIcooper has acknowledged the existence of this critical problem by discontinuing the installation of the electronic steering lock on its later models as they could not correct problem. MINIrefuses to recall earlier models and will not reimburse owner for costly repair once critical malfunction occurs. Web reports have alerted drivers that steering wheel has locked while car is being driven making earliler models unsafe to drive but MINIhas displayed a complete lack of concern for safety of its customers.

- White Stone, VA, USA