Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Mini Cooper has problems with the oil feed lines to the turbo leaking which is not only dangerous & a fire hazard, but also costs $1,200 to fix at relatively low mileage.

Also the 2008 Mini Cooper has a defective timing belt tensioner pulley that can cause the timing chain to break, resulting in expensive engine damage.

2008 Mini Cooper miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mini Cooper:

2008 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Mar 142016

I purchased my 2008 MINICooper 3 years ago and it's currently around 78K my car was diagnosed with timing chain stretched and possibly engine damage. However MINICooper usa doesn't want to reimburse the money I'd pay out of pocket myself.

- Mason, OH, USA

Jan 312014

Cooper 4-cyl

As I was driving the car, the hood in the front started to release smoke. There was also a smoking smell. This continued throughout the ride. Brought the car to a mechanic who indicates that the car is leaking oil onto the engine, making it extremely dangerous to drive as it can cause a fire. This problem continues to exist after I replace the oil pipe.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 082011

Cooper 4-cyl

There is a loud knocking noise (most likely the timing belt) and the car keeps jumping.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Jan 052011

Cooper 4-cyl

I would like to see a recall issued or at least investigated for any MINIcooper 2007 and up with the BMW engine. This engine has a faulty timing belt tensioner that is prone to fail causing severe engine damage. I have a 2008 and just lost my engine due to this tension failure. After spending the $600 dollars to have my engine taken apart and diagnosed, I was told that BMW already knows about the problem but has not issued any type of recall for it. They also told me that it will require a new engine some where in the dollar amount of $14,000 to replace, unknown at this time if the dealer will cover the loss. This problem is well known be the dealer but it looks like they have done nothing to correct this problem and continue to use this same engine in there vehicles. I was told by one of the workers that BMW has not issued a recall because the problem does not pose a direct safety risk, are you kidding me, going done the highway and having a total engine loss is very much a safety risk. I am sure that my complaint is just another drop in the bucket but I hope at least hope someone takes the time to have this problem corrected before someone is seriously hurt or killed.

- Linden, VA, USA

Aug 062008

Sunroof spontaneously shattered. No impact or other incident. Simply driving on highway 85 in santa clara, California. Loud explosion sound, covered in glass with hanging sunroof. Reported incident to 911 then to chp. No assignable cause.

- Boulder Creek, CA, USA