NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 4 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt

2001 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero:

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 012006

Alero 4-cyl

Security light, anti-theft device.

- Saint Joseph, MO, USA

Jul 062007

Alero 6-cyl

Hard starting. Vehicle just keeps on cranking but does not start unless you pump accelerator several times. This happens daily, - every time you attempt to start the vehicle. We also have a problem with the hazard warning switch and directional lights, - police flashed me down and gave verbal warning.

- Racine, WI, USA

May 232007

Alero 6-cyl

There have been no accident or anything my 2001 Alero has so many electrical issues! 1)some times the electrical windows work, sometimes not, sometimes the electrical lock works, sometimes not, sometimes the car will start, sometimes not. It is not the battery. It is some short that is simmilar to how the blinkers and hazard lights were.

- Fort Knox, KY, USA

Mar 212006

Alero 6-cyl

: the contact stated the track off, service vehicle soon, and ABS lights illuminated at 79,000 miles. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where they were unable to determine why the lights were illuminating.

- Bruce Township, MI, USA

Aug 062005

Alero 6-cyl

2001 Alero (2 dr. Coupe) I have been on several sites and am finding many Alero owners having the same problems that I have encountered over the last couple of years. Fuel pump, wheel hub assemblies, intake manifold gaskets, power window failure(grinding/breaking clips/regulators), serv engine and traction control lights constantly on, electrical problems, brake problems etc. It is my belief that olds knew they weren't making this car anymore, and sent a sub-par product out into the market "hoping" to get away with as few recalls as possible. I have numerous complaints filed with olds and General Motors. General Motors has gone way out and offered me a $500 certificate towards the purchase of a new vehicle. Give me one reason I should go through another nightmare like this one. Recalls have never been issued on any of these complaints because it would probably cost millions of dollars for them to fix the problems. I constantly wait to see if any class action suits involving these vehicles occurs as I will be one of the first to jump in. What's the saying..."if it looks like dog crap and smells like dog crap don't step in it, it's probably dog crap". there's a defined problem with these vehicles and GM should be taking responsibility for them.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Jul 112005

Alero 4-cyl

2001 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving at 65 mph in 5 pm traffic, the car engine shut off and coasted from the left lane to the emergency lane. It was then towed to an Oldsmobile dealership; who said that the fuel pump was the problem for a second time. This car has had many problems. Sometime the car will not crank at all. It also has a leak in the passenger side floor when it rains. The consumer heard about the Volvo problems and the same thing is happening to this vehicle. The engine had only shut off one time. This happened around July 11, 2005. No injuries fires no crash reported. The fuel pump had been replaced 3 times. The fuel pump had an internal short. The vehicle would have to be placed in neutral, would start then die. The ignition switch was replaced. The fuel gauge would fall to empty, and the fuel light would come on. The vehicle would crank but not start.

- Elgin , SC, USA

Jun 162005

Alero 6-cyl

I have been experiencing problems with my electrical system in my vehicle since the day I purchased it. I have experienced several problems that I believed to have lead to what I am experiencing now. I have to turn on my lights manually now. That isn't so much of a problem, the problem is that when my car does not automatically turn on my lights this means my ac does not work, my power windows do not work, my stereo does not work, cruise control does not work, my speedometer does not work, my gas gauge does not work or my thermostat does not work (the inside panel of the inside of my car does not work). I can start up my car, but nothing inside my car works. Driving in AZ with no ac and not being able to lower your windows because there is an electrical gadget not allowing the vehical to work properly. I have written to Oldsmobile asking them to look into the problem, they have neglected all responsibilties from all the problems I have and am experiencing with my vehical. I have also made a formal complaint through the B.B.B., General Motors have yet to respond. I feel it is very dangerous driving around in a vehical that decides to work when it wants to. All of the other complaints I have read are very similar to mine.

- Hayden, AZ, USA

May 012005

Alero 6-cyl

2001 Alero gl had problems with the computer, cruise control, and the floor was leaking.** answer required***. the vehicle consumed excessive amounts of gas, the vehicle only got 208 mile per tank of gas. The rear defroster works intermittently. The ABS light, traction light and service engine light illuminated at the same time. When this happened the vehicle lost traction and ABS brakes. On two occasion this failure caused the consumer to lose control of the vehicle. The rear seat slid forward when the brakes were applied abruptly.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Aug 272004

Alero 6-cyl

The tires were defective. The tire pressure will not sustain. The tire pressure light stays on, and the consumer had to add air daily. The dealer refused to cooperate. The left front door body side was falling, the solder joints in the hazard warning flasher switch may crack, the coolant light had come on, there was an erratic sound when the ignition was first turned on, the driver window had a water leak, the left power window won't seal, the regulator was broken, and the key would get stuck in the ignition intermittently due to binding cylinder lock.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Aug 072003

Alero 6-cyl

The technician informed the consumer about a recall on the vehicle, but the consumer never received a notice from the manufacturer. The vehicle would not start right away. There would be several tries but the vehicle would never "crank over." The engine vibrated when the A/C was used, the fuel gauge was inoperative, the front windows would not roll down, the rear handles felt like they were sticking, there was a burnt oil smell, and after several times of starting the vehicle it would run rough. The master switch, A/C compressor, crank sensor, fuel pump, fuel tank, hazard switch, and the window regulator were replaced. The mechanics repositioned a wire harness from the crank sensor and replaced the pressure control solenoid. The turn signals stopped working in traffic in which there was almost an accident. The antenna was replaced because the radio signal would go out every time the rear defroster was used (this did not solve the problem). The back window had to be completely replaced to solve the antenna problem. The water pump was replaced because the seal for the coolant leaked.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 052004

Alero 4-cyl

Was involved in a frontal collision on 3/5/03 and the air bags failed to deploy in my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. I was traveling 40-45 mph southbound on scottsdale rd when another car turned left in front of me. The impact bent the impact bars, moved my compressor to the other side of the vehicle, hood, bumper, fender damage, the preliminary estimate without doing a tear down is at $5000. I have suffered neck, shoulder and leg injuries. I contacted GM and they said a certified GM rep will go look at the car and take pictures and will contact me on the 29th. I received a call from a man who did not identify himself at the dealer ship and said he was a private investigator for GM and down loaded the info off the computer in the car and the air bag should not have gone off, and told me I need to have them start repairing the vehicle immediately. Yet in the owners manual it states the air bag will deploy in a near frontal or frontal impact and that they can only access this computer in the car with the owners consent which I did not give. I have had numerous problems with this car from electrical engine work, the fuel sensor showing me I had gas when I don't, scratched rotors, and the hazards and blinkers working and not working which still has not been fixed by the dealership. Even the police offers did not want to get in the vehicle to move because the air bag did not go off and they where concerned that it did not.

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Sep 302003

Consumer had electrical problems since she purchased the vehicle. Some of the problems included the following; road hazard light shorted out which caused all dashboard lights and external lights to not work/ air conditioner (A/C) unit shorted out/ radio automatically reset itself at will, and blinker lights worked some times and some times not. She had this vehicle in repair shop 5-6 times for the same problem, and no one could solve the problem.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 032003

Alero 4-cyl

Electrical, tires, air conditioner.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

May 212003

Alero 6-cyl

Vehicle intermittently does not start on first attempt, especially after car is warmed up. Manufacturer claims they cannot duplicate the problem, therefore there is no problem. Happens at least 5 times a week.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Apr 142003

Alero 4-cyl

In Feb. 2003 I had surgery and did not drive my car for about a week. When I finally drove my car, my drivers side window would not roll down. A couple of days later it started working and now has a grinding noise to it. Recently my horn stopped working completely. I replaced the relay switch and it still will not work. Now, my turn signals work whenever they want to. The only way I can get them to work is to press my hazard switch and now it is getting to where it will not work. And last but not least my air conditioner is not blowing properly. On the 2 first settings it barely blows, if I press on my brakes it feels as if it completely quits. I have also noticed that when I roll down my windows the interior lights will dim and the car engine power will decline. I have had my car for 1 yr. I purchased it used with less than 25,000 miles. I feel these issues should be addressed because they can lead to safety issues. I was changing lanes and my blinkers failed and was almost hit by another car, at that time and still do not have a horn to blow to warn them that I was changing lanes also. The dealer I purchased the car from thinks that I am crazy. That I am a hypocondriac. They are uncooperative and basically refuse to help me. I feel I should not have to pay for something that apparently a lot of Alero owners are going through.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Mar 272003

On several occasions while driving, my Alero has completely shut off. The first time it happened, I was going 55 mph in traffic. The power steering shut down and it was hard to pull to the side of the road. If it is raining outside, you may as well just park it. It will not crank easily and it acts like it doesn't want to run once you get it to start. Of course, when you take it to the shop they can't find anything wrong with it. My driver's side power window will not roll down. The low tire pressure light goes off every other day, even though the air pressure is fine and the interior doors look awful because the trim has come unglued. This is the worst car I have ever purchased. I would like to know what I can do to get this car repaired or replaced.

- Greenwood, MS, USA

Feb 122003

Alero 4-cyl

When I brake there is a grinding noise going on underneath the front of my car. Happens when I brake going down hill, or when I have to brake suddenly. When I brake normally, there is this shaking that is going on. I thought I needed new brake pads but that did not remedy the situation. Also, my sunvisor falls off very frequently hitting me in the head. And my driver side mirror shakes violently while im driving. And my tires loose pressure constantly and sometimes the light even comes on when my tires arent low.

- Raleigh, NC, USA