2001 Oldsmobile Alero engine problems: turns over but won't start

Turns Over But Won't Start

2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Oldsmobile dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.2

2. replaced fuel pump (5 reports)
  3. dealer reset the security system, fixed it temporarily (4 reports)
  4. replaced ignition switch & reset security system (3 reports)
  5. replace oil pressure sensor (2 reports)
  6. replace passlock key assembly (2 reports)
2001 Oldsmobile Alero engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero:

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 262010

Alero

i went to my car the other day and started it. It started to buck, and jerk name it then 3 sec later it ran great no problem then today i went to work came out wont start just cranking over like no gas or something then i kept my foot on the gas turned it over and ran great all night will i delevered my newspapers. about 2 hours ran great then got home turned it off and the fu..ing car wont start can you or anybody have a idea what it can be email me at craig10167@aol.com or call 570-466-3439 love to find out since i see alot of the same problems of sort ty

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Jun 072010

Alero LS 3.4L

Bought this p.o.s. two years ago so far i've had to reprogram the pcm because it would drain the battery. Well now the security light will come on from time to time never noticed it flashing before cranking though, anyway drove it 60 miles north to the job site one morning drove it from place to place at work that day let it sit for about 2 hours before it was time to go home got in it to start it and it wouldn't hit just crank like crazy. Without haveing all the tools i took off the air filter cover squirted starting fluid in just to see if i had spark and sure enough it would run on either. So then i went over to the other side and took off the cap for the check point on fuel pressure and pushed in the valve stem to check for fuel pressure and without a gauge it seemed to have all kinds of pressure.

After messing with it for an hour and being very tired from work any how I bummed a ride home with another guy. The next day took the wifes car hoping that it would start and I could just drive it home but it still didn't start, so on the next day drove my pickup with trailer had 2 guys i work with help me push it on, after loaded i went to roll up the window and i though what the hell tried starting and it fired right up and run perfect. How in the @#!% do you diagnose the problem now seriously considered not tieing it down to the trailer and seeing if i could lose it on the way home my construction insurance would probably cover it. So after all that i left it running on the way home for an hour on the trailer hopeing it would @#!% up again and die or something it didn't. Not taking it any where till i figure out problem may trade while still running. I called gm and they said speaking for oldsmobile they're sorry they ever made that car, WHAT THE @#!% kind of answer is that?

- , Perry, MO, USA

Aug 202009

Alero LX V6

I HATE THIS CAR!!! Since Aug it will turn over but will not start randomly! It leaves me stranded often and our mechanic does not want to try change the fuel pump until he knows that is the problem - after reading the 75 other complaints for the SAME THING we are now sure it is not the fuel pump but is an extremely annoying defect!!!!!!! I'm glad we haven't wasted much money trying to fix this thing if nothing seems to help! This is Ridiculous and I hate GM, hate American cars and we will NEVER buy one again!

- , Perkasie, PA, USA

Dec 122007

Alero 4 cyl

Well, we thought it was fixed. Drain gas tank, add fuel and treatment, ran good for awhile. Then, exactly one week after the initial problem, same thing. Go out to start the car, nothing. This time we have it towed to the dealer. They call next day to say its ready, but they didn't fix anything. Nothing wrong with it. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this car with everything I have. I will never EVER buy another GM. Bought this little car 2 months ago to save gas instead of driving my Tahoe all the time. I know that tonight we will go get the car, and sooner rather than later, it will not start again.

- , Harrison, AR, USA

Jul 242009

Alero 3.2L V6

i HAVE AN ALERO AND IT CRANKS OVER BUT WON'T START THIS PROBLEM BEGAN ON THE 24TH OF JULY. BUT YESTERDAY ALL DAY CAR WAS FINE STARTED RIGHT UP AND SUDDENLY LEFT ME STRANDED AT SCHOOL LAST NIGHT, LEFT THE CAR IN THE SCHOOL PARKING LOT. THIS MORNING STILL WILL NOT START BUT DOES CRANK OVER. I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE USED FROM A HONDA DEALER BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WITH 82,000 MILES ABOUT 9 MONTHS AGO.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 232006

Alero GLS V4

I have 2001 Alero with 62,000 miles. It had been running fine till about 6 months back, when my car won't start. It would crank, but won't start. Got it towed to the dealer. The dealer said that there was a problem with lock cylinder and had to be replaced. Since it was under warranty, I did not pay anything. OK.. the car ran OK for 4 months, and then it happened again in the parking lot of a mall.. it won't start.. tried many times.. it would crank, but wouldn't start.. got it towed to the dealer and for some strange reason, it started a the dealer.. very strange.. the dealer this time said that ignition lock had to be replaced.. cost me $315! OK.. but 2 weeks later, the car stops on the highway.. fortunately, I was able to pull on the curb.. it would crank.. but wouldn't start.. got it towed to the dealer again.. and strangely enough, the car started as soon as the tow truck drop the car at the dealer.. the dealer could not find anything wrong with the car.. this is horrible.. I am very nervous to drive the car.. I see many of you folks have similar problem? What have you guys done? I can not keep on running this car and it would die on me in the middle of the winter! Any thoughts.. suggestions on what could be wrong will be greatly appreciated!

- , Collegeville, PA, USA

Nov 302008

Alero 2.4L

Just paid $700 to have the fuel pump replaced on my daughter's car. It lasted 5 days!!! Now it turns over, tries to start and runs ragged with a sound like someone is beating the crap out of the car from underneath, then dies. The fuel cap has been replaced also. The gas tank is full. I can't keep it running long enough to trade it in. I won't sell it because I wouldn't wish an Alero on my worst enemy!!!

- , Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Oct 082008

Alero 2.4L

there are too many people on this site alone with a problem with this car!!! Oldsmobile won't own up to it and we are stuck trying to figure out there mess. I can't rant long, I have to go tow my daughter's car back home. I think a class action lawsuit is in order.

Update from Jun 7, 2009: After two pump changes, having the computer checked and nothing worked, we finally found the problem!! Twice we paid $600 to have the problem fixed and it didn't help. We found the problem now. A loose wire!!! YES a loose wire to the gas tank!! $20 repair. Have all wires checked by a "trusted" mechanic. He will probably find a loose one. The computers won't pick it up. They have to be manually checked.

- , Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jul 302008

Alero 3.4L

Is there a Canadian phone number for complaining about this? We haven't managed to get it running yet. This is my daughter's car- my Honda Accord has never had any kind of problem. I would like to support manufacturing in our country but I learned a long time ago you have to go with what works.

- , Kamloops, B.C, Canada

Jul 212008

Alero

first of all i would like to say that this is bullshit!!!! why should i have to pay to fix this piece when i didn't brake it? after calling a gm dealer i was informed to call general motors to let them know of the situation, when i did the person there told me they haven't even had enough people call and tell them about it to start an investigation, i got pissed and now i am letting all of you know that you need to call and complain about this piece of sh*t we all bought so they will do something about it.

the number is 1-800-222-1020 and make sure you have your VIN # when you call and maybe they will finally do something because i really don't want to have to pay $450 to have them work on it for 10 minutes and then turn around and it do it again!!!!! more than likely it is your security system

- , Kearns, UT, USA

Jun 242008

Alero GLS 2.4L

First let me say this. I am sorry for calling my wife a lier. LOL. She has missed work several times because the Alero wouldn't start. I would attempt to start the car later in the day and it would start right up. This happened over the last several months. And I was thinking to myself she was just lazy and didn't want to go to work.

We packed the car up for vacation and all piled into the car for vacation. I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. I looked around the engine compartment for a bit and took off the air cleaner. I had my wife start the car while I sprayed carb cleaner down the throttle. The car would run on it but would die when the stpray ran out. I switched the relays out and still no start. I also checked all fuses and no luck. So I assumed it was the fuel pump and we took my Sentra on vacation.

While on vacation I ordered a fuel pump on line so it would be there when I came back. When we got back sure enough the fuel pump was sitting on the porch waiting to be installed. I am so glad I went to work and did a search for Alero problems and came to this website. I followed the 10 min with the key to Acc, removed the key for 10 sec and attempted to start. It fired right up. I am only out $40 for the pump but I can't believe a manufacturer would install a system on a car that does not work all the time. It is like not doing your homework. I feel real sorry for the people that did everything to get their cars to start before someone figured out the passlock system was at fault. Thank you all for writing this down so I didn't have to go through the same thing you all did.

- , Maryville, TN, USA

May 212008

Alero GL 3400 V6

I would definitely have to agree. With some of the other people on here, GM needs to do a recall on this problem. It's obvious there is a major flaw in the car.

- , Magna, Utah, USA

Mar 112008

Alero

I have had the car towed 4 times and sent to the dealer twice. It is still at the dealer and they have had it over a week. They have replaced fuel pump twice and it still won't work. It will work for them but when I get in to start it - it won't start. They say nothing is wrong but when I try and start it it won't start. This needs to be recalled. With all these complaints about the same thing I don't understand why GM won't recall to fix the problem. They should stand behind what they make even if they don't make the model anymore. Will not buy another GM product.

- , Tyler, Texas, USA

May 272006

what i need to do to get it fix.i have 2001 alero that having problem crankin

- , Memphis, Tenn, USA

Jul 242006

Alero

Ok, I have been dealing with this problem for about 3 years. I had a solution that was working fine until today. In the past, I had turned my key to "ON" position until the security light stopped flashing which usually took anywhere from 7-10 minutes. Once it stopped, I would turn the car off then crank it right up. Well, that didn't work today. The security light started flashing and the car didn't' crank after 15 minutes. I tried several times to crank it but it wouldn't. I called a repair shop and they sent a wrecker to get the car. The guy tried and it almost crunk up, but of course, almost doesn't count. I have no idea what is wrong but I'm stranded without transportation once again. Someone, please, send me some advice because this is getting really expensive and tiresome.

- , Macon, GA, USA

Aug 042006

Alero LX

engine cranks but wont start. If you leave sit sometimes it will start, other times not. We took it to the dealer for 10 days and they had no clue as what was wrong.

- , Kiel, WI, USA

Feb 282008

Alero GLS 3.4L V6

I am very amazed how everyone is experiencing the same problem? This is absolutely ridiculous. Basically, let me give you an overview of how I treated this car since day 1. I purchased this car for my girlfriend who is now my wife back in October 2000. It was a brand new 2001 Alero GLS fully loaded. Only 2 miles on the odometer. I have babied this car since day 1. I've ran nothing but Mobil 1 Synthetic since it's 1st oil change after the dealership til now. Every 6 regular 87 octane fill ups I always use Mobil 93 Octane once. The first time my wife experienced a non-start was when the car was 2 years old and it only had 9,000 miles on it. We really paid no attention to it... at the time. I had a buddy of mine who's a mechanic... change the battery, alternator, spark plugs at around 26,000 miles and it was about 5 years old. We would experience LONG start ups. Usually a car turns over quickly... this Alero takes like 10 seconds to turn over. Cut the story short... the car is 8 years old now... 38,500 miles on it... and it is stuck outside on the road at a family members home... PROBLEM... The car won't turn over!!! The battery tested good and the alternator tested good! General Motors has a very serious issue on their hands and they won't listen to us! I have babied this car since day 1... and I feel like I babied a LEMON! Wish you all the best in fixing this problem... I have no idea what could be the cause of this ridiculous nonsense.

- , Southgate, MI, USA

Sep 102007

Alero

I bought this car used in late August 2007; with 25K miles. It is currently February 2008, and this car has been back to the dealer 5 times now for the same problem. I bought it from a Toyota dealer and apparently the previous owner traded it in to the dealer I bought it from. The car just would not start, from time to time. No reason, or explanation. The Toyota dealership I bought it from sent it down the street to the Oldsmobile dealership. They told me they previous owner had the car there for the same problem. Each time I received the car back they either said they could not find a problem and it just started right up. Or they found a problem with the fuel pump, then the security device. They claimed the car was fixed. But the problem still persisted. Without warning the car would not start, causing me to have it towed. I am at my wits end at this point ready to get a lawyer. I truly believe this car is a lemon!!!!!!!!!!

- , Lafayette Hills, PA, USA

Oct 182006

Alero

I HAVE A 2001 OLSMOBILE ALERO, I'VE HAD IT SINCE 2006 (BOUGHT IT USED) ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR CAR NOT STARTING, I HAD THAT PROBLEM AND I TOOK IT TO MY MECHANIC AND IT WAS A SECURITY PROBLEM (WOULD HAVE NEVER GUESSED) YOU CAN EITHER GET THE SENSOR CHIP FIXED OR TURN YOUR IGNITION TO ON (NOT START) FOR 10 MINUTES IF THE SECURITY LIGHT IS FLASHING ITS DEFINITELY A SECURITY PROBLEM JUST LEAVE IT ON FOR 10 MINUTES UNTIL IT STOPS FLASHING AND GOES OFF THEN TURN YOUR IGNITION OFF AND START, IT SHOULD START RIGHT UP!!!!!!!!

- , Forrest City, AR, USA

Oct 012007

Alero

Well, sadly, I took over the payments of this car from my parents. I wish I had done my research. In the past i remember hearing about the car not starting and problems with the security light. They took it in (GM dealership) and like everyone else they couldn't find a problem. They did end up changing/replacing a few things on the car but I cant recall as it wasn't my car at the time. About 4 months later it happened again. Towed it, took it into the GM dealership and couldn't find a problem. After having the car for a couple of days they said the problem came when the gas cap on the car was on properly, therefore throwing off the computer and fuel system. They said make sure its on tight and properly and after driving it for awhile it will go away. It worked! and hasn't had the no turn over starts, BUT will get the occasional start that takes a few seconds before it fires. By reading all these complaints and other sites, this is what I've found out.

Possible Fixes 1. Fuel relay switch (fuse under the hood) just replace. 2. Ignition fuse 3. reset the computer (passlock reset i think) - Turn off the car - Turn to 'ON' - Security will flash (if it turns off, its not a passlock problem) - wait 10 min, light will go on steady and then will go off - turn key to off and take out key - wait 10-20seconds and try to start. 4. Try to start in neutral (dont ask why but i hear it works) 5. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU FILL UP YOUR GAS CAP IS ON PROPERLY!

Possible Problems - Crank sensor - Oil pressure sensor - cam sensor - Passlock key assemble - fuel pump relay

By the sounds of it is a computer/fuel system problem. This 'anti-theft' system i think causes more harm then good. I hear something as simple as someone trying to lift your doorhandle when your car is locked can manifest this problem to not having the factory key chip when you start your car can 'confuse' the computer. I think its such a wide range of problems that cause the car not to start, not just one simplified problem.

When you go to start your car turn to 'on' and wait 5-10 seconds and give the gas pedal one quick pump and then start your car. This has helped me a few times.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada