NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2002 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 1 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 102014

Alero

Driving down road all lights quit working nothing on dash works.

Sep 172014

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 012012

Alero

When turning off car doesn't want to restart have to wait 10 min to start has problems with windows and lights took it to Chevy dealership said they fixed but still has same problems

Jan 032013

Alero

When U shut your car off and try to restart won't start and security lights come on then U turn key off and on and wait 10 min to restart.General Motors knows about problem. Has been seen by Chevy dealer and hasn't been able to fix. This problems happens on regular bases.

Sep 242015

Alero

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero which throughout the years has not started when you put the key in the ignition and turn. Numerous times I've had my car towed to a mechanic only to have it start once it gets dropped off... hence they were never able to diagnose the issue. On September 24, 2015 again my car just didn't start. Lights, blinkers, horn all worked but it would not turn on. Finally had a mechanic come to my house and do a diagnostic which read security system lockdown. I went online and this apparently is an ongoing issue with this particular make and model. Hundreds of complaint are listed with the exact problem. Oldsmobile refuses to do a recall. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. To fix this issue my mechanic wants $650. I feel because this has been an issue that has been reported repeatedly with thousands of complaints Oldsmobile should be responsible to reimburse me.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Aug 132015

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the turn signals failed intermittently and the hazard lights no longer illuminated. The contact mentioned that the engine and brake warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Cottondale, FL, USA

Feb 092011

Alero 4-cyl

2002 Oldsmobile Alero. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall repair issues. The consumer requested reimbursement for the expenses incurred pertaining to the replacement of the ignition switch. The consumer stated several times the vehicle left her, as well as her son stranded. The vehicle belong to her son. However, he no longer owns it. Updated 10/07/15

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

May 222015

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled without warning and the vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired by an authorized dealer under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 128,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 222015

Alero 6-cyl

I was driving down the street when the car just cut off on me with no warning. I had to force the steering wheel to turn while other cars where trying to keep from hitting me from behind. Finally got the car off of the main street and onto a side street, until I was able to get the car towed. After having the car towed and it not being able to restart a mechanic told me that the anti theft system went out on the car so now I am without a car and no way to get it fixed because as I was told that they were having a problem with this on most older GM models.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 012014

Alero 6-cyl

Turn signal and hazard lights failure. It started with the turn signals, they would work sometimes and then eventually cut out completely. Hazards worked for a short time after turn signals went out, then both cut out completely. Flasher was replaced and fuses were tested and were not the problem.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jan 292015

Alero

These cars are nightmares. I replaced the intake manifold gasket (extremely common issue, well documented online), the oil pressure sensor broke off the engine and leaked all of oil out, replaced the thermostat, learned how to deal with a constantly defective security system (passlock defect causes a no start, extremely common and well documented online), and now the car will crank but not fire (also extremely common, but due to the nature of the problem, the online resources can only provide one of a hundred different places to start attempting to diagnose). A no start should not require a mechanic to throw a full battery of tests at the car. There is no way this car should have been legal to sell, it is a money pit and a hazard to anybody around them. Systems are constantly failing, the car allows water to reach the fuse panels and corrode them, creating the potential for an electrical fire or failure of crucial driving/safety systems. The car has trouble starting if the ambient temperature is at or above 80 degrees. And I have experienced all of this in roughly a years time since I bought the car with relatively low mileage (~70K).

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 072015

Alero 6-cyl

I was driving along, I had defroster on, rear window defroster started smoking, melted the rear window trim and rear passenger panel. I stopped the car and turn off engine. Called fire department, took the car to the mechanic, found that the defroster module went bad. The defroster module and wire harness for rear window was replaced. Lots of smoke damage to interior of car.

- Great Falls, MT, USA

Jul 012014

Alero

TL-the contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact also stated that the heating system and the control panel would not work. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact referenced notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was unavailable. Djr

- Oakland, CA, USA

Dec 092014

Alero 4-cyl

Just a couple of days after the purchase of the vehicle the brakes were making a bad scrubbing noise, and I had no turn signal at all I noticed a clicking sound coming from the hazard warning light.during the clicking sound the turn signal would work at times and I would smell something like a burning smell. While the car was park and no one around it the lights would come on inside and out by their self and this causes my battery to go dead and I have to boost it off. I have contacted the car dealer that I purchased it from and they were very rude and hateful and told me it was my problem and that there is nothing they can do about it. That they sold it to me at a good deal and they could not help me.

- Riceville, TN, USA

Oct 122014

Alero 4-cyl

My first problem was with the security system.the car would not start. Learned through the internet how to reset system, for my used car not having an owners manual. The next problem was my blinkers not working, be it intermittently. I've seen all the posts on these conditions and I am appalled that these concerns haven't been addressed. Shame on these money grabbers. We pay enough for vehicles...the manufacturer's must be held accountable. Fix our vehicles.

- Saco, ME, USA

Mar 272007

Alero 4-cyl

2002 Oldsmobile Alero gl customer requesting reimbursement for ignition repair. The ignition passlock cylinder and module were replaced four times.

- Clintonville, WI, USA

Jan 312012

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that after inserting the key in the ignition, the key would independently come out of the switch while in the start position. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Casco, MI, USA

Aug 042014

Alero 6-cyl

2002 Oldsmobile Alero seeking reimbursement for out of pocket expenses prior to receiving recall letter the consumer stated the vehicle stopped running, on two occasions. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 212014

Alero 4-cyl

2002 Oldsmobile Alero. Vehicle burned in the yard, noticed smoke starting to come through the fuse panel. The consumer stated there was no warning, of any type of problem. The moment she turned the ignition switch off, the problem started.

- Lexington, MS, USA

Nov 012014

Alero 4-cyl

I received recall letter from GM for "unintended key rotation". I had previously contacted GM indicating issues with ignition switch; GM then issued "unintended key rotation" letter. I had the recall work performed, yet issue continued. I contacted GM; I was informed my vehicle was not eligible for ignition switch recall as vehicle was "outside of parameters of 10 years or 100,000 miles", "whichever comes first". my vehicle is a 2002 with approx. 95,675 miles. I was informed the dealership "suspected" issue was "worn out ignition switch". dealership did not perform mechanical diagnostics, only voiced "suspected". NHTSA investigation needs to be done to determine if these 2002 vehicles contain the same GM ignition part numbers, if so, our vehicles must be included in the GM ignition switch recall. GM described in their recall what the mechanical issues are in this ignition switch recall, my car has those mechanical problems; yet GM refuses to issue a recall letter for "ignition switch" citing they are not obligated because NHTSA set parameters of "10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first." To meet the criteria that GM must issue recall letters for ignition switch. If the defective part is the same on these make models and customers are documenting they have this mechanical issue, they must be included in this recall and we must not be held at a financial hardship and be left with driving known unsafe vehicles. To those olds owners that read my complaint, if you have encountered similar a issue, it is important that you as well file a complaint so that the database will include our make/model years and GM and NHTSA will be required to expand their parameters to include our made/model vehicles in this ignition switch recall. Updated 12/10/14.

- Beech Bottom , WV, USA