$1,200.00

1. new transmission (2 reports)
2001 Pontiac Bonneville transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Bonneville:

2001 Pontiac Bonneville Owner Comments

Aug 092004

Bonneville SLE 3.8L V6

The car stopped and would not go into gear. It turned out to be the sun gear thrust bearing housing was made with a weakened metal alloy by one of 3 third-string suppliers. Basically, the housing breaks and a ball bearing shoots through the transmission like a metal marble. This gear went into approximately one of every 3 transmissions found in 6 different GM models with a V6 automatic transmission. GM posted internal service bulletin about this issue but would not admit to it. The dealer held my car captive for 10 days while negotiating this issue. We settled on paying 50% ($1200) of a reconditioned transmission as it was 3 months past the expiration of the factory warrantee. This tranmission went out, also, and a third transmission was put into this car at 42,000 miles.

- , Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 102005

Bonneville SLE 3.8L V6

Transmission # 3 on a 3 year old car. This one was completely covered under warranty as it failed within one year of installation. I was so aggravated at this but glad it was covered, so I did not research any further. I was still smarting from the previous transmission fiasco!

- , Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 312008

Bonneville

at first the car was just noisy. people ask me to check the power steering but it is good. then when i stopped then put on the gas it would rev up and then lurch forward. it wouldn't always do this though. then as it has progressed, if i am making a left turn it will go and then will act like it has been put into neutral while I'm making a turn. then i have to creep up the speed slowly and after 30 to 40 mph i have no problems. i took it to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong, though they tried to upsell me on other things for over 2000 dollars.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Aug 232007

Bonneville SE 3.8L V-6

Yesterday I got on Interstate 59 Here in Birmingham, when I got to 50 miles per hour the car would not go into overdrive(4th gear) I drove up to 65 miles per hour to the nes exit(about 3 miles) and got off, which was were I was headed. At 65 miles per hour the engine was turning 2800 RPMs, would not go in 4th geaar. If anyone can advise me I would appreciate. Thanks, Tom

- , Birmingham, Alabama, USA