NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Sep 082016

G6

On 95 highway South near carson va a white big bag fell off a tractor trailer in was on the highway road it damage my radiator and back end of my car. Repairs had to be done to mybcar

- Stony Creek, VA, USA

Mar 142016

G6

My car lost all power and I mean everything... my car is still in the shop and it's not fixed yet... the mechanic said that my car just lost it's memory and he has tried to reset the memory but he has not had any luck with it. I wish I never would have got this car because when I had the first recall fixed... it is like now one thing after another has gone wrong and more recalls. I was very scared when I was driving down the road at 55mph and the car just quit.... it was like the car just froze and the traffic on the road just kept on coming I was very lucky and blessed that no one hit me.... I know for a fact that when I buy a car for my daughter..... it will not be a G6 !!!!!

Jan 072016

G6

Takata recall check engine light comes on in the display and says engine de rates power and looses throttle peddle in order to stop this we have to pull over and turn the car off! this keeps happening and needs to be fixed or it will cause us to wreck

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Oct 062015

G6

My vehicle has a very strong odor of gasoline. This smell is present when driving and long after the vehicle has been powered off. A visual inspection by a friend who is a 'shade-tree' mechanic show no obvious leaks nor do I notice anything in the driveway. It has gotten so bad that we have to leave windows cracked. I don't have any money for repairs. I am wondering if this is something other owners have seen and if possibly there is or will be a recall? I am scared to drive the car. This has been happening (and getting worse) for the last couple of months.

- Chester, VA, USA

Aug 112015

G6

The car had a "ticking" sound for 3 weeks. The sound starts when you start the car and does not go away. Last week the car abruptly stop and shut off. When I attempted to re-start the car it smelled like something was burning so I left it go and took it to a mechanic. They say the car is crap..the engine locked up and part of the piston broke off and flew into the motor, damaging it. Thank god we were not on the highway where the speed limit is 70 mph when this happen. Now we are stuck with a car that is not worth repairing and no one wants it for a trade in nor will the loan go away. These cars should be pulled off the market.

- Moon Twp, PA, USA

Jul 132015

G6

I had all 3 of the recalls fixed at phil smith Chevrolet in lauderhill Florida about 4-6 months ago. They replaced a part on my gear shift to keep the vehicle from coming out of gear. I was getting in my vehicle to leave & as I tried to start it the car began rolling backwards while still in park. The part they replaced 4-6 months ago to rectify the recall on this broke. Thank god my husband was here & was able to help me stop the car & temporarily fix the problem but there is obviously a problem with the new part they are trying to use to fix the recall.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 102014

G6 6-cyl

Took my car to dealer for recall 141152--after I waited along time for parts. Recall-13036--completed they claim recall--14116---claims at first--parts not available--oops then later he claims he found some in the back! recall--14152---completed they claim when we drove the car off the lot it still had shift problem----later found out the transmission pan was leaking, took car and had fluids re-done at jiffy lube. As the days went on the car would not go into gear--it was undriveable in 10 days. Car sits in driveway now and won, T go into any gear. Called Pontiac talked to senior advisor who said the same as the dealer----well we only fix recall stuff we do not look or check other things. So I recalled dealer who said " well bring in the car and we can check it out for $80 and if it transmission it will be $3000/4000 extra. So I did the recall items as told--and a car that was running good before I took it in, now is in driveway with power steering problems and won't go into any gear.as both the dealer and Pontiac said " well now it becomes the consumer problem not ours-we did the recalls". well I guess they fixed the safety issues---if you can't drive your car you have no chance of having problems, so your safe! I will file a complaint to other agencies etc. I am disabled and on a fixed income and this being my only car, cannot fix the car at that price!

- Conway, SC, USA

Jan 172014

G6

When I turn to the left my front driver side wheel lock up.

May 122014

G6

My power steering has been going out every time I drive it. It used to just go out on occasion. I drive the interstate on a weekly basis. I was told it is not part of the recall. I think it should be since it goes out every time I drive.

Feb 262014

G6 6-cyl

18 wheeler traveling South on X highway and going to make an illegal right turn into a parking lot as I was passing. Truck driver provided incorrect insurance information to local police. Truck driver then provided accident victim via cellphone the incorrect information for a second time. The claims rep of the truck company did not admit the driver worked for them until for this he accidentally said something that proved the driver worked for his company. Insurance information was then provided with the comment, "I could call but wouldn't get a dime". the insurance company did not investigate the scene of the accident physically. They looked at it via google maps which does not show my 18' feet of skid marks. Nor did the request pictures of it, only the car from the body shop. The adjustor lied when taking my statement. They told me they had not spoken to their client or gotten a police report but they knew information that could have only come from their client. I was shocked to find out local police are not allowed to run out of state vehicles to verify insurance. The driver should not be allowed to drive in any state that is not allowed to verify this. My car was paid for now it's totaled. As of 3/16/2014, the truck driver's insurance company has not made any attempt to contact me regarding the accident or the injury.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Oct 222007

G6 6-cyl

I've received but can't locate documents indicating that the steering column in 2006 Pontiac G6 has problems. The steering column freezes up and I can't turn my steering wheel when I'm driving and has almost caused accidents. This has been a big issue and dangerous, in fact everyone refuses to drive my car due to this issue. It's especially bad during the fall, winter and spring searsons, not so much during the summer. I have my grandkids in cars and am so afraid they will be injured.

- Vista, CA, USA

Dec 072010

G6

My current problem with my 2006 Pontiac G6 sounds the same as the recall for the 2009 Pontiac G6. Today (12-8-10) I had to bring in my car in to the dealer after putting my car in park, which then proceeded to roll. The wiring system did not seem to recognize park or disconnected from the transmission. I later tried to turn the ignition and the car would not turn on at all. 4 months ago I brought it in for the key getting stuck in the ignition because the car didn't recognize it as being in park. Three other times I had issues with the brake/foot peddles. I would have to break to accelerate and drive to slow down or it would not accelerate at all until it reached 30mph. It would automatically drive in traction control and read decreased engine power on the panel. In addition, I have recently had a fountain of water pouring into my car surrounding the sunroof on either side of panels btwn the front and rear windows, resulting in severe interior damage and subsequent mold spores growing. Instead of the filter surrounding the sunroof filtering water out, it is filtering water in.

- Audubon, NJ, USA

Aug 282009

G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6. My steering wheel gets really tight when turning in any direction then it becomes extremely loose. My radio will not play any cd's and I had to take it to dealership once to have it replaced because it caused my battery to die. My right passenger light has water in it. My remote starter no longer works on the vehicle. My passenger side tire sounds as if the ball joint is loose in it.

- Waldorf , MD, USA

May 272008

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. On a very hot day, the contact opened the door to her vehicle and smelled something burning. She noticed that a part of the driver's seat, the glove compartment, the interior ceiling, and a small portion of the dashboard appeared to have melted. She took the vehicle to the dealer, but they could not find any failures. They stated that they would search technical service bulletins for more information and get back with her. As of June 9, 2008, the contact has yet to hear from the dealer. She called the customer service department and filed a complaint. She was informed again that she would be called back, and when she was, the customer service department stated that nothing could be done. A representative came out to inspect the vehicle and informed her that she would be responsible for the damage. The current mileage was 16,835 and failure mileage was 16,546. Updated 07/08/08. Updated

- Lauderdale Lakes, FL, USA