CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

8.6

$1,146.00

2. turn car off then back on (19 reports)
  3. replace power assist motor (14 reports)
  4. replace steering column (12 reports)
  5. replace all steering parts (8 reports)
  6. replace rack (7 reports)
2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

May 202014

G6 GT

On May 20th 2014, I was at a complete stop and waiting to make a left turn. As I started to turn my power steering completely locked up after the wheel jerked out of my hands. Luckily there were no cars coming. I had to turn the car off and back on for the steering to work again. This has happened many times in the past. From now on each time it happens, I will list it on this site. I have contacted GM numerous times regarding this and I get the run around and talked down to like I'm an idiot. Apparently my VIN is not included in any recalls. I have completely stopped driving my car all together and this is a HUGE inconvenience. Each and every recall this GM has issued for this make and model, I have encountered, yet according to the idiots at GM, my car isn't affected. I do not know where to go from here. The car is a death trap. I live in a very busy metroplex and this is unacceptable. I want to lend my car to the CEO of GM for a week and have him drive his family around in it, and THEN he can tell me my car isn't having the problems due to its VIN. I know, I am supposed to mention the problems with this car separately and I will from now on, but I've experienced everything from brake lights not working to air bag issues as well.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 202014

G6

needing the parts on the recall of this. It has been over 4 months and I can't drive my car.

- , Stringtown, OK, USA

Mar 202014

- , Stringtown, OK, USA

May 152014

G6 GT V6

I was driving around running errands and after one of my stops I tried to back out of my parking spot and couldn't turn the wheel. I had NO power steering at all. I turned the car on and off several times and still no power steering. I had to use every bit of strength I had to get my G6 home. I informed my dad of the problem, so he could help me get the car to the dealer and the next day he sent me articles regarding the recall on the G6's power steering. However, when we called the dealer they said my car/vin was not listed under the GM recall. So I have a G6 with no power steering and there is a recall for that EXACT problem, but my car isn't covered? WHAT?? I still haven't gotten it fixed, because I have been hoping GM will update the vin #'s to include my car. I am currently borrowing a car and cant wait on GM much longer. Frustrating!

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 112014

G6 2.4L

My daughter bought this car used and 5 days later her steering went as she was turning into an intersection.

She took it back to the dealer we bought from and they said that it would need to be turned off and on again to reset the computer. I feel this is a safety issue and heaven forbid that this happens on highway etc.

I have seen a previous comment with a Transport Canada recall and to take back to the dealer.

If I had known this about the car, we certainly would've thought twice before buying.

- , Brantford, ON, canada

Oct 182011

G6 V4

I purchased this car brand new and I'm a cautious driver. I believe in preventative maintenance. I love the car, except...

1. My car's power steering has completely failed me at least 4 different times. All random. No particular reason. Fortunately, all times I was in a parking lot. I could not steer for anything...it just shut down. I went to my mechanic and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. My power steering light also came on all those times. Again, the mechanic could not find a reason why.

2. I have other issues with this car that are worse! It stalls out on me often. Mostly when I come to the first stop light on my trip to work and stop; it stalls! I took it to my mechanic and they couldn't find any reason. My battery was fine and all that jazz.

3. I've had to have my breaks changed at least every other year and it doesn't make any sense to the mechanic. I have poured so much money into this NEW like car. I've been the only driver!

HELP! I called the dealership and they said there are no recalls on my pontiac G6, but I see them all over the news and online.

- , Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Jun 232014

G6 GT 3.5L

Power steering systems the use a regular power steering pump and rack n pinion worked just fine. Now it's this crap that's unaffordable for a lot of people to repair. With all of the complaints with the power steering system on the Pontiac G6 it would seem like GM would expand the recall to cover more than just a sensor. Now $900.00 later I'm able drive my vehicle.

- , Champaign, Illinois, USA

Jun 152014

G6 3.5L

Cannot even drive the car, the steering keeps locking up, it sometimes will not turn at all. So I find out there is a recall so I called my local dealer and they tell me that the recall parts have not even been shipped to any dealers so I kept looking online and see when GM has known about this issue. The dealer tells me to stand-in-line.

Who will pay for the repair if the car gets wrecked or people get hurt? GM needs to get this problem fixed quick. The recall came out in late March and now it is the middle of June and they still do not have the parts for this recall?

- , Durham, North Carolina, USA

Apr 032014

G6

My husband found out yesterday that GM is having a recall on my 2006 Pontiac G6 for Power Steering and Ignition Switch defects. Ironically, this morning, my Power Steering went out completely! The rest of my drive to work was very scarey, but I made it. Now, I'm stuck here.... waiting for GM to get their individual VIN list to my local GM dealership! The Dealership GM, was very accommodating and commended me for calling the GM Customer Service Office in Detroit first thing this morning - wherein, they gave me a case #, but said it could be the end of the month before they had a complete list of VINs for the recall. Aaaargh!!!!! :( In the mean time I have to pray the Dealership works with me on repairs and a rental car so I can get to work!!! Funny that US Domestic Car Dealership SCREAM for Americans to stop buying foreign cars... WELL HELL... DUH! This is a NO BRAINER! Why would we voluntarily subject ourselves to GET SCREWED?????

- , Dahlonega, GA, USA

Jan 142014

G6 4

My vehicle exhibited power steering failure. The dealer replaced the sensor in the steering column for $800. There is a TSB and recall on other VIN numbers in the 2006 model year, but not on my vin. GM maintains that this is not faulty. Customer Service did not do anything except lip service on this HUGE SAFETY PROBLEM. I'm not going to let this one go.

- , Covington, LA, USA

Jan 012014

G6 GT 3.5L

Owned this car since September 2006.

Original major steering problem (lost steering power while turning and while driving) was fixed by GM in 2009. They replaced the steering column. Then September 2013, different steering problem (clunking when turning), dealer fixed - replaced steering gear - cost $780.00.

Now (March 2014) the steering loses power usually when I first start and move the car. After the steering engages, it is working okay. So far.

Why is it always the steering? Otherwise, I really like the car. Only have 68,000+ miles on it. It's a GT with all the extra accessories (love the remote ignition and heated seats). HELP!

- , Ballwin, MO, USA

Feb 132014

G6

I'm having problems with the steering on my car and there is no recall, this is unsafe to drive... you can fix the problem by turning off the car and turning it back on but when you are driving you have to pull over...

- , Seymour, MO, USA

Aug 012013

G6 LX V6

As soon as light on dash reads "check power steering", I had to turn car off and restart to get power steering back again. Steering wheel vibrates also.

Update from Jan 22, 2014: The entire steering column had to be replaced. The GM Dealor (Rte 46, Totowa, NJ) fixed it and I did not have to pay for it.

- , Little Falls, NJ, USA

Oct 292013

G6 3.2L V6

Transport Canada has issued a recall:

Road Safety Recalls Database Transport Canada Recall # 2012331

Recall Date: 2012/10/01 Notification Type: Safety TC System: Steering Manufacturer Recall Number: 12221 Units Affected The number of vehicles or components affected by the recall: 67,414 Category: Car Recall Details:

Certain vehicles equipped with electric power steering may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist that could occur at any time while driving. If the power steering assist is lost, a message is displayed on the Driver Information Centre and a chime sounds to inform the driver. Steering control can be maintained, as the vehicle will revert to a manual steering mode, but requires greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds. Unless a driver compensates for this additional steering effort, loss of power steering assist may increase the risk of a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Vehicles will receive a special extended warranty coverage for a period of 10 years/240,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. Under this special coverage program, for 2005 & 2006 model year vehicles, dealers will replace the steering column. For 2008 model year vehicles, dealers will replace the power steering motor control module.

Make Model Model Year(s) Affected CHEVROLET MALIBU 2005 2006 2008 CHEVROLET MALIBU MAXX 2005 2006 2008 PONTIAC G6 2005 2006 2008 SATURN AURA 2008

Update from Feb 11, 2014: The GM dealership replaced the steering column at no cost). I have had no problems since.

Dealer info:

Hogan Chevrolet Buick GMC Limited 5000 Sheppard Avenue East SCARBOROUGH, ON M1S4L9 Phone: (416) 291-5054 Fax: (416) 291-5597 Email: reservations@hoganchev.com

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Oct 042013

G6 2.4L 4 cyl

In the past nine days my powe steering has failed twice on my car. I sent it to the local GM dealership and they told me the intermediate shaft needed replacing. I told them not likely, it is electrical. Same story as others experience, driving along and things are fine, chime sounds and POWER STEERING appears on the DIC, then you have no steering.

So, they charged me $540.00 to fix the intermediate shaft, 9 days later it happened again. Car has been towed today back to the dealership for them to check it properly.

Way to go GM, right after we bail you out you give us this garbage.

Dealership says they are going to try to apply the money I have paid to fixing it properly. What an idea.

- , Welland, ON, canada

Oct 062013

G6 3.6L V6

The power steering light comes on the radio then no power steering. When you shut off the car and restart the power steering light goes off and the power steering starts working. This car has been a ok car up until the last year and it has had many issues such as clear coat peeling off and having to have repainted it always has had a popping noise in the front end. Wouldn't buy another. Good thing they aren't making this car anymore. And how about the danger of driving this car! Very disappointed!!!!

- , Conway, MO, US Minor Outlying Islands

Sep 102013

G6 3.5L V6

Okay, got a notice a while back about a potential steering problem. Low speed steering went around the 11th of this month. Took it into dealership and they replaced the steering column. Got the car back, took it out and when I attempted to turn tight at a low speed heard a big pop and the steering was screwed. Called the dealer and they said to bring it back in and IF there was a problem they would fix it. So after they had changed out the steering column previously they now told me that it was a steering module and it would be $700 to fix, that's after my husbands $100 discount on the parts.

According to them there is no recall for this part prior to 2008 models. Now having read all of your complaints on here I am seeing that this is a HUGE SAFETY ISSUE and GM needs to go good for it. I am so tired of every time you take your car in for anything there is almost ALWAYS something more that is financially crippling, but what can you do, you need your car right?

I am trying to get them to do something about this but if I don't get anywhere I am wondering what it would take to get a class action suit going ?

Anyone else have an ideas?

- , Oshawa, Ontario, canada

Jul 052013

G6 V6

My daughter and grand-babies are driving and power steering light flashes and she lost steering. She had to turn the car off and back on numerous times to get around a corner. Does this SCREWED up company need to see deaths before they will pull their heads out of their asses and fix the issue. How can they be forced to fix a dangerous product that they make? I'm afraid to let her drive it now. This car has been one problem after another.

- , Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA

May 142012

G6 LX 3.2L V6

Stupid power steering keeps going out...almost wrecked twice now.

- , Bledsoe, KY, USA

Jul 272013

G6 GT 3.2L

We bought this car for our daughters first car in August of 2012. Up unto now its been a good car. My daughter was driving it to the movies when she called me to complain about the steering wheel been up side down. I said there is no way that could happen. I went to the movies to drive it home and sure enough the steering started popping and would not steer straight. She was riding with me when i was taking a right hand turn and car would not turn if another car had of been coming we would have been hit head on. VERY SCAREY!! Also i have to replace tail light bulbs every couple of months. WORST CAR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Ivanhoe, VA, USA