NHTSA — Suspension Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 172014

G6 6-cyl

When going around a curve it is like it loses traction and pulls to the left real bad or going over railroad tracks it has new struts and been aligned three times and two set of new tires and new bearings and tie rods and still haven't fix it.

- Mt. Carmel, IL, USA

Dec 012010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph during inclement weather, the traction control system failed causing the contact to crash into a wall. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel and was difficult to maneuver. The contact also stated that while parked, the vehicle shifted out of gear. Additionally, the front passenger tie rod, ball joint, and the hub wore out prematurely. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Covington, PA, USA

Mar 082014

G6 6-cyl

Service engine soon light illuminated, clunk, knock or rattle noise from front of vehicle when turning steering wheel regardless if the car is parked or driving on curves, turning, or going over bumps at both low and high speeds. Car pulls to the left and has a constant vibration/shake which can sometimes be very violent throughout the entire car and completely disable it! a constant loud squeaking noise when applying brakes or when driving at low speed can be heard. A ticking or knocking type noise coming from the engine or transmission area may subside in hot temperature. Panoramic sunroof leakes a wind rush noise. Intermittent long crank or no crank with a delayed start. Headlamp and backlighting have low visibility or inoperative. Gearshift indicator light occasionally comes on or flickers. When doors are locked the locking mechanism may not release by key or remote and I have to crawl inside from the trunk in order to unlock the car. The climate control does not engage/ push air on setting 3 but works on 1 2 and 4. the famous "monsoon" radio has horrible sounding speakers as if blown however they are not. I have seen more than 1 certified mechanic for these problems. I have paid a lot of money repairing steering, brakes, rotors, alignment, tires balanced etc. However problems are still occurring in my very recent purchased G6. Now I see recalls have been issued but according to GM website my VIN# is not listed as being recalled. Well apparently it does and should be recalled for replacement repair and reimbursement since Pontiac/GM are completely aware of these issues and recalling cars with "certain VIN numbers". I have bought non-american cars until now with no problems other than standard maintenance. This is my first Pontiac/GM and sadly I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake by not staying with non-american made cars.

- Walker, MO, USA

Feb 202012

G6 6-cyl

Started driving the car and power steering goes out.

- Livingston, CA, USA

Nov 192013

G6 6-cyl

Had the car check because the power steering light came on, couldn't detect. Now it's doing the same thing and the power steering went out for a few seconds. Put the car in park, turned it off and the power returned once the car was back on. Today, November 19, 2013, the power steering light flashed again. I recalled getting a letter a while back, if there is something wrong with the power steering why didn't they just do a recall. In the event you have to get this problem fixed then you can submit a claim form. Why didn't they just recall the car. I have my car since 2005 and it has been service on a regular basics to assure that it is in property working conditions. I've kept the oil change, brake repairs, etc. Now the steering is giving a problem.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 012007

G6 6-cyl

We bought this car brand new, and troubles started immediately. First thing was when you would turn the steering wheel it would make a popping noise, well returned it a few months after we bought it they said it was because of a cap, that use to be metal but are now plastic wears out, nothing dangerous but annoying. Well that was replaced 3 times before some kind of a rod was replaced. Then it always smelled of anti freeze. And would lose it, but they couldn't find any leak. Well after having it in having 2 radiators put in it, it still did lose fluid. Until recently I had an accident where a lady left her car in the middle of the highway and ran off and left it in the middle lanes coming off of a bridge a man slammed on his brakes and I hit the side of his bumper, and caused damage to the front of my car and I got a new front end and a new radiator again. Still leaked fluid. My husband after getting the car back from the repair shop found the leak and bought a part and fixed it himself. Pretty good after 3 radiators and all the techs working on it over the 6 yrs, he had to fix it. It has been in the shop right after I got it because when you would take off, it would act like it skipped a gear. But if I shifted w/the standard shift it wouldn't do it. They said there was no shavings in the transmission tray and all was fine. Took it back again for the same thing, they still said nothing was wrong with the transmission. But to this day about once or twice a week it will still skip when accelerating. I have had the motor on the convertible replaced right after I got it. The stereo was also replaced. The passenger side chair arm release, that allows you to let the seat up for someone to get in the back came off, they put another one on and no adhesive it stripped out again. Refused to fix it. I have all paperwork from all the repairs it has had, will list in anotherpost.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Dec 262012

G6 6-cyl

My wife was driving on the freeway doing about 67-70mph to work when she started to fell the steering wheel shake then it started to pull left. I have checked tires, wheel lugs, an suspension components. Its been about four days now. Really bad at slower speeds an she scared to drive the car. So I drove it today an it scares me really bad I can't even think about puttingg my kids in this car its really that bad please help !! everything is true:(

- Greenfield, CA, USA

Oct 062012

G6 4-cyl

I have had nothing but problems since buying this car used in 2010. Have had the front end tie rods, struts replaced and now the power steering is acting up. I was driving 40 mph and the car started to shake and the power steering light went on, and steering went out. Was able to pull over into a parking lot. I turned car off and then back on and power restored. I know it will happen again based on all the other complaints. This problem is very serious and could cause a major accident and there needs to be a recall on this problem.

- Winnetka, IL, USA

Jan 052012

G6 6-cyl

Purchased used 2006 G6 in May 2007. First noticed clunking and popping noise in steering a month after purchase. Local dealership did not hear any noises when they checked it over! over the 4 1/2 years that we have owned this car, the noises never go away. Steering seems loose at times. Driving home from work two days ago at 70 mph on four lane interstate, the clunking noises got worse and my front driver's tire fell off my car. I was able to control the car and get it to the side of the road. Thankfully, there was no one on the opposite side of the interstate or near me when my tire went flying off. Sure would be nice if Pontiac would do something about the steering/suspension problem with this car. Have read far too many stories about serious injuries, which I could have caused with my G6. I just got lucky there was no one around me when it happened.

- Glenville, MN, USA

Aug 182010

G6 4-cyl

I have had a thumping in the car when turning the steering wheel and was told that the steering gear needs to be replaced and there could be other defective parts once they get into it. At present I cannot afford to fix the problem and am saving up to get the $800 repair started. I feel this is a recall issue that GM needs to be forced to recall the G6's for this problem because a faulty steering system is a safety issue. I do not feel safe driving my car but it is the only means of transportation I have, so at this time I have no choice. Also, I have had other major problems with this car every year since I bought 3 years ago. The first year was a sensor in the transmission, the second was the catalytic converter, and now this year the thermostat and sensor and this steering problem. This car is a lemon and needs to be recalled!

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 032010

G6

I own a Pontiac G6 2006 its the worst car I have ever owned I have put 4000-6000$ in to this car and still continue to have problems on a daily basis from the power steering catalytic converters brakes tire rod ends wheel bearings and numerous other problems I have paid more on fixing the problems on the car than I have paid on the car there are currently no recalls to my knowledge but I strongly believe the entire car should be recalled and GM should pay back what the car was purchased for!

- Andover, IA, USA

Mar 152006

G6

Rotors, brakes, and numerous replacement control arms on both sides.

- Millington, MI, USA

Mar 252010

G6

Electric steering assist kicks in and out. Steering wheel turned hard to the left on its own while I was going down the highway at 65mph. It took both hands to take back control. Power steering light blinked on the radio. When I stopped the wheel was making clicking sounds and turning violently to the left and right. After restarting the car the steering temporarily went back to normal. I have been have similar problems with the steering for the past year. Took to the dealar showing them bulletin # 10183 describing the exact problem for 2005 and 2006 G6's but they did nothing stating my VIN # was not in the affected range. This is extremely dangerous and will kill someone.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 032010

G6 6-cyl

I have a 2006 ponitac G6 4 door sedan. The car has 45,500 miles on the odometer. At 44,024 miles I had to have a four wheel alignment. Now at 45,500 miles I discover that since the full alignment both of the sway bar links have gone bad. The car was making noise in the front suspension and the car sways from side to side while driving through corners or in a strong side wind. I purchased the car with 32,000 miles on the odometer and at 34,000 miles while on vacation I had to replace the rear brakes and rotors along with the front brakes with a total bill by the Chevy dealer over $600. I also have one of the cars that has a problem with the power steering getting hard to turn and then goes back to normal. I contacted my local Pontiac dealer about my concerns and to see if there was any service bulletins for the car. I was told that my problems were the results of the bad roads were I live. It seems strange to me that my 1993 corvette with 110,000 miles on the same roads as my Pontiac does not have any problems with the suspension.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Oct 242010

G6

The power steering has gone out on my 2006 Pontiac G6 without warning. There are several complaints prior to mine some involving wrecks. My vehicle is all I have to Transport me back & forth to work & I'm terrified. This vehicle has several other issues including the camshaft sensor, blown struts but none as dangerous as the power steering going out. There need to be a recall of this car before someone gets hurt.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Mar 162010

G6

Incident of carriage parts on 2006 Pontiac G6 GT...ball joints and tie rods along with rear parts believed to be under spec...meaning that they are too weak to support the vehicle and to provide support for everyday road abuse....parts wore out at roughly 45K...there are also a lot of complaints I see about the front end parts on this car...

- Hibbing, MN, USA

Aug 122009

G6

Steering 50000 miles ball joints are shot are you kidding never heard of this maybe 100000 plus miles on any car.need watch dogs on these foreign parts these front steering parts made in piilpplies"??? we put on these GM cars buy american buy Hyundai 10yr 100000 miles warranty im trading mine in might get clunker price this lost will be cheaper in long run than paying out of my pocket to keep this Pontiac G6 safe. All these complaints on steering problems no one cares??"

- Lima, OH, USA

Feb 282009

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. At 3,486 miles, the steering gear began to make a clunking sound. The vehicle failed to steer properly and the contact experienced difficulty keeping the vehicle straight while driving. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop seven times, but it was only repaired correctly on two occasions. The vehicle was diagnosed as having another issue during the other five visits. The contact has all seven receipts for each repair regarding the steering failure. She feels that it is a safety issue because the vehicle needs to be steered properly in order to stay on the road. The current mileage was 82,586 and failure mileage was 3,486. Updated 3/27/09 there was a noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps in the road. Updated 03/31/09.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Jun 052008

G6

I have had a 2006 Pontiac G6 for 6 months now and have had the following problems. One month after I bought it I have to have the steering rack repaired/replaced. Now I am having the ball joint and control arm replaced. The rotors also need replaced. None of this was covered by warranty. I have heard of other G6 owners who have had the same problems and of course was not covered by warranty.

- Mingo Junction, OH, USA

Oct 152008

G6

I just wanted to note that I have experienced these same issues with my 2006 G6 gtp. I have had my steering components replaced at least 2-3 times in the 2 years I've owned my car. I have 67K miles and purchased an extended warranty to 75K, so my repairs have been covered, but seeing these complaints is disturbing to me. Like many others here, I travel to/from work in my car each day at high rates of speed on the interstate. I hope GM will resolve any defective issues before someone must suffer. My steering was just replaced 2 months ago and I'm already hearing clicking under my front end again, so am planning to take my car back to the dealership soon. Please alert all owners if GM does decide to stand behind their product and repair these issues.

- Summerville, SC, USA