CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2.2

2006 Pontiac G6 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Sep 012012

G6 4-cyl

The steering wouldn't respond, stiff like driving without power steering. Power steering code came up on radio and error came up over odometer reading alog F with check engine light. Went away after a while but continues to have the no response periodically. Code won't go away.

- Fairmont, MN, USA

Aug 182010

G6

Driving one day and hear thumping, ends up that 2 lug nuts are missing on the front right tire, buy 2 lug nuts and put them on problem fixed right? wrong!!!!!! now almost a year later, (how many people check their lug nuts everyday, no one because you shouldn't have too.) there are 3 lug nuts missing on the right side of the car 1 on the back tire and now 2 broken lug nut screws on the front right tire"??? I know, how do the screws that the lug nuts go onto brake?" I'll tell you why, because the car is always shaking, hit a bump and the whole car feels like its going to brake. Instead of "feeling so fly in my G-6" they should have made a song called "braking down in my G-6" I would have bought that song cause its true!!!!!!!!! with the recall on the steering, I would have to say there is something else going on with the shaking of the car as well and I don't think its the steering but more like the suspension maybe...

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 102009

G6

I bought my '06 Pontiac G6 in June of 08. I had to have new brakes put on the car in Dec '08. At the brake shop I was informed that my rotors were badly worn (more than normal) so I had them machined, the tech also informed me that I needed ne calipers. In Jan of '09 my breaks began squealing again! my rotors were once again worn! I have read many complaints about the braking system of this model and therefore believe that there must be a defect. I needed new rotors when the car only had 60K miles! this is not normal!!!!! it is my understanding that nothing has been done by GM on this issues, and I believe that it is time!!!! I am afraid that one day my breaks are going to go out! I can not afford to have my brakes done every month, nor should I have to! thank you for your time, sarah mae

- Houston, TX, USA