NHTSA — Engine Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 2) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 272014

G6 6-cyl

Two weeks ago, it became increasingly more difficult to remove my key from the ignition after putting my key into park. At times, it may take up to 5 minutes to remove my key. Within a week, I noticed that it was becoming more difficult to shift from park to reverse. Last Sunday, (June 1, 2014) I was at the grocery store, shifted into reverse, then drive. When I put my foot on the gas, it was as if it was in neutral. I had to drive the car home in the manual setting. My husband then test drove the car and noticed the same things. He added that when in drive, it was as if the car was in neutral and it would actually move backwards if on a slanted road or street. My husband drove my car into bradshaw motors, wade hampton, greer, SC the next day, Monday, June 2, 2014. They said we need a brand new transmission. With only 50,000 miles on my car, (which I bought new) I became very upset and began to investigate recalls. I found a recall #14V224000 on the www.pontiacproblems, com/recalls/G6/2007 website. I called the 1-800 number and have been getting the run around on the phone sense.

- Greer, SC, USA

Mar 272014

G6 6-cyl

My G6 sports convertible has a tendency to lock me in the car.. it has a retractable roof and the windows function up and down and inch for security reasons when using the roof.. on such day, I was not using the roof and pulled in my driveway and put it in park and the driver door locked me in... would not let me open the door.. I turned off the radio thinking it may have something to do with it but didnt.. the only door that would open was the passenger side door.. if that would not have let me out I would have been locked inside my vehicle.. also, the traction light comes on when I didnt even have it on.. in summer I do not use the traction feature, onlyif it is raining hard. Three times for the light and two times now locking me in.. I contacted a Pontiac service rep and he said I probably have a door lock defect. After many attempts once getting out of the car through the passenger side may I note that the key would not even unlock the door.. makes me feel petrified that I am going to be locked in my car and I am claustrophobic.. please GM look into this issue.. thirdly there is a hiss that is coming from the motor and all is fine under the hood, the car is practically new at 22000 miles and these things should not be occuring.. at the time of this incident my car was not in the recall.. now it is! help!

- Clairton, PA, USA

Nov 132013

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would independently stall without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 032014

G6 4-cyl

I cannot remove my key from the ignition in the morning before my car warms up. If I stop to get gas in the morning, I have to leave the key in the ignition because it gets stuck in the key ignition. Only after my car warms up will I be able to remove my key.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 302014

I just hit my 80K miles. General Motors extended warranty for emissions to 100K on 2.3 engine's. I have 3.5 engine. My check engine light came on; test showed Cadillac converter. I telephoned #1 cochran in monroeville 5X and never received a return call to do emissions test on machine. This is where I purchased the car new. Then I telephoned bowser Pontiac and they couldn't get me an appt till weeks because they were busy and had employees that kept calling off. I had my mechanic do the emission's test, he made a report showing this issue. I called GM and explained if they can do the customer good will claim based on the report from my mechanic because the dealer's could not get me an appointment. They said no. They deal with only GM dealer's not mechanics. So being just missed the mileage warranty GM is not willing to work with me to accept my mechanic's report to show they should have extended the warranty to the 3.5 engine's too. Due to the inability and non-willing to work with their gmac customer's I am looking to file a complaint with General Motors as they could not accommodate me and I had to have my mechanic diagnose and pay for this repair out of pocket because they would not do a good will claim with my mechanic because the dealer's could not get me in to get a diagnostic test. I have documents to show this issue with the GM dealer and they reused to accommodate me with the issue that their parts were ineffective and they did not abide their warranty by a few miles and to work with me to file a good faith claim, meaning sometimes GM pays for all or some of the repair based on the report, but must have diagnostic test done at dealer and none of the dealers could get me an appt, and I was driving around for 4 weeks with the check engine light on and did not want to damage my vehicle with not being able to get an appointment at any time soon.

- Dravosburg, PA, USA

Jan 112013

I have had my 2007 Pontiac G6 for almost three years and the first year and a half was great no problems but January last year is when it all started going down hill first I was noticing that my gas mileage was getting worse so I took it to a mechanic and they stated I needed to replace my catalytic converter so I did. Next about 3 months ago my right headlight low beam went out and my boyfriend took out light and noticed the wires were completely burned off finally got that replaced. When I got my converter replaced they told me the mileage would get better and the gas smell would go away a year later now its getting worse and I have been told by a friend that its my fuel pump and its leaking gas. I have been driving around with my 1 year old son with a gas leak for a year which scares me and also makes me upset especially when I see that the G5 was recalled for this issue also and its common because they are putting me and my family at risk by not extending the recall to the G6 something needs to be done. Now im left to figure out a way to fix this when im a one car one income family. Please help and please fix this before someone gets hurt.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Aug 052013

G6 4-cyl

Was informed that the catalytic converter was bad and need to be replaced. This was replaced three years ago so I got a second opinion and was given the same diagnostic. Called GM and was told that the recall expired at 120,000 miles. Technically the part on the vehicle doesn't have 120,000 miles on it because it was replaced at 65,000 miles. And I was never sent a recall notice.

- Scottsville, TX, USA

Nov 222010

G6 4-cyl

The catalytic converter was replaced 2 days after purchasing the vehicle. Fast forward to present day and diagnostic test are telling me the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. The vehicle now has 135,000 miles but has had regular oil changes. Spark plugs and the intake cam actuator solenoid were replaced on 8/5/2013 where I was informed that the P0420 code was coming back which is the code for the catalytic converter. I thought the mechanic was just trying to rip me off but the car has no power now and I've gotten several second opinions. GM says that the recall for this part was at 120,000 miles, however I was never notified of a recall and I've had the car 3 years. They will not honor the recall now.

- Scottsville, TX, USA

Jul 022013

Recently smelled fuel inside car. Problem was a leaking fuel rail, which I was told was very unusual. $500 in repairs. This part is rarely defective, vehicle has 47K miles. Out of warranty, but I am looking for some type of reimbursement due to the serious safety concern of leaking fuel in a hot engine compartment.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Jun 062013

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong gasoline fuel odor while parked or when being driven. As the contact drove approximately 45 mph, the vehicle caught on fire with the illumination of the check engine and air bag warning lights. The contact was able to exit the vehicle without injury. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 116,947.

- Swainsdroo, GA, USA

Jan 012013

The car can not pass nys inspection because of catalytic converter and sensors there are hundred of people with the same complaints, my warranty on car does not cover it I have spoke to GM and they say I have to make a complaint with you to get a recall I hoping you can really help because I have a car that I own just a year and have to make payments for 4 more years, that I can not use or afford to fix, and if Pontiac has made recalls on other cars for this.

- Islip Terrace , NY, USA

Sep 102012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph the steering began to pull the vehicle left and right. In addition while parked and trying to restart the engine it would not start. The contact had to wait an hour for the vehicle to start. In addition, the lug nuts have been bending and coming off of the wheels. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 96,818.

- Watertown , NY, USA

Sep 122012

G6 6-cyl

I live in Arizona, and I was driving and there was a very potent smell of gasoline coming through my A/C vents, very hazardous to my health, also could be a potential fire hazard. I did noticed that this is a common issue in the 2007 Pontiac G5.

- Somerton, AZ, USA

Aug 292012

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that she noticed orange and red liquid on the floor of her garage. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnose that a gasket attached to the water pump had come in contact with a dex-cool anti-freeze and caused a deterioration of the gasket and the metal. As a result, the water pump had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

May 162012

The engine cooling system has coolant leaking. Replace the crossover gasket. The car is running hot and not drivable.

- Huntsville, AL, USA