NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 272016

G6

At random times (every time the vehicle is operated), the passenger side airbag alert light illuminates (accompanied by a 3-tone alert) and a dash message saying "service air bag." The dealer diagnosed this as a faulty passenger-side airbag sensor. There is been a previous recall for these sensors (GM recall no. 06143; NHTSA campaign #07V146000), but it was limited to 359 vehicles. My vehicle's VIN number was not included in that recall, so the dealer refused to replace the sensor free of charge, quoting $900 for repair/replacement. A search on safercar.gov website shows 81 other complaints about 2007 Pontiac G6 airbags as of 9-27-2016, many with similar symptoms to my vehicle, so there are obviously problems with Pontiac's airbag sensors systems that extend beyond the initial recall. Since this is a serious safety issue, it is imperative that Pontiac extend the recall to include the additional vehicles affected. A conversation with Pontiac yielded a typical response: "your vehicle is not included in the initial recall, so there's nothing we can do."

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Sep 022016

G6

While driving or stationary as I turn the wheel either way I here a clacking noise. I thought it was my C.V. axles but my joints are still sealed. So I began to think it was my steering column because after a certain amount of turning it for really really hard to turn then a load clack then it would pass the stress point turn easier but still make the clacking noise when turning it back. That would happen in both directions.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Aug 222016

G6

Strong gas odor from car while car in running and after car is stopped. Check engine light codep0446 emission system vent solenoid replacement via auto zone code system reader. Gas found sitting on top of gas tank.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Apr 152016

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a fuel odor inside and around the vehicle. In addition, the air bag light remained illuminated and a beeping noise was present. The vehicle was taken to a certified independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,910.

- Littlerock, AR, USA

Sep 212015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving 45 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle jerked severely when the gear shifter stick was placed in any position. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the camshaft sensor and the evaporative control system failed and needed to be replaced. The mechanic did not provide details on the air bag issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 142016

G6

Takata recall the air bag sensior

- Elizabethtown, NC, USA

Dec 302015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the vehicle was repaired for an air bag recall in June 2015. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. The VIN was not available.

- Schelby Township, MI, USA

Dec 242015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stopped independently as the low traction warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the rear tires were spinning but the vehicle failed to move. The contact stated that while attempting to have the vehicle towed, an independent mechanic informed the contact that an unknown passenger side tire was hot, and was beginning to smoke as if it was about to catch on fire. The contact also stated that while driving at various speeds, the service air bag soon warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Leland, NC, USA

Nov 182015

G6

We have been having trouble with car since we purchased it about a year or two ago we financed our threw browns auto world fayetteville, nc and since then we have trouble with the air bag light randomly coming and shutting off are brakes were put on backwards we also had alot of trouble with acceleration of the car you could only get up to a certain speed of the car before it began to shake, the end result being the camshaft sensor, and brakes. We have also had a situation with the fuel pump which a mechanic said was very weak from the begining. We have recieved several recalls on the car but everytime we took it GM motors they looked up the VIN and said our was fine but it matched was written on the recalls so my question is where do I go from here" what is my next step"

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 152011

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Altadena, CA, USA

Jul 022015

G6

I was driving home going 65 mph down a major highway on a clear warm night. All of a sudden my 2007 Pontiac G6 pulled to the right and I couldn't correct it. When the car finally responded, I was thrown across the highway into the divider cables. My airbags didn't deploy and the entire front end was crushed. Thank goodness I was not around any of the semi-trucks that came up over the small hill behind me once I limped the car to the side of the road. I had to get the car towed and insurance totalled it out without any testing done. After reading on this site, it's sad to see that I'm not the only one this has happened to. Thank god I was not seriously injured.

- Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA

Mar 272015

G6

My daughter was in an accident on 3/27/2015. She tboned another car totaling my car. The front end was seriously damaged. Neither airbag deployed. She sustained a neck and head injury. Nothing major but could have been more serious. Esis said they will not persue my claim with them any further as I do not have enough proof that their product is defective.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 202015

G6

The passenger side airbag indicator light will come on. This has been happening since 2011. I believe this has a correlation with the battery because when the indicator light starts to come on every time I'm driving the car, I know the battery will soon die. I have been through three batteries since owning my car (2010). Once I get a new battery, the indicator light will not come on for a while.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Aug 182015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the disabled passenger side air bag and the service air bag warning indicators illuminated when starting the vehicle. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Dillsboro, IN, USA

Jul 152015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 45 mph, the air bag warning indicator intermittently illuminated. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the air bag needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Salem, OH, USA

Mar 242015

G6

I am the 2nd owner to a G6 have noticed since about a month or so after purchasing vehicle that when turning at slow speeds there is a clanking/banging noise. Have noticed several others mention of this same issue. Now it shows obvious recall for the U joint for this vehicle, yet both dealerships and Pontiac are only saying it is VIN specific which to me is a crock of (you fill in). There is obviously a problem with this yet they want to do nothing. Guess major accidents or death must need to result in order for them to fix the issue. Also at just any random time the airbag warning will just pop up on my dashboard. Vehicle has been in no accidents, so there should be no reason to that just randomly "poppign up" I will be making formal complaints to BBB and national safety website. If you post a recall for a vehicle, it is not VIN specific as they are all using the same parts. Come on GM we are not idiots here!!!!!

- Cochranville, PA, USA

May 072015

G6

I turned into a parking lot not going no more than 15 mph and my tired blew and by the tire blowing it pulled my car into a pole that be in the parking lots and again I was not going more than 15 mph and when my side passengerside struck the pole it deployed my air bags. Noted the car was not hit in the front nor damaged to where the airbags were suppose to come out. Before that when I drive my car my airbag service air bags lights would come on. And if I have a passenger sittin in the passengerside seat it would read that no one is in the seat and the air bag would be off then if you ride for awhile it would pop back on. But the airbags deploying caused great amount of pain to my husband face and my chest area.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jan 212015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact crashed into a divider and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Rio Grande, TX, USA

Feb 102015

G6 6-cyl

I started my car and my airbag sensor lit up on my dashboard and on my stereo screen it said "service air bag". there was an issue with my passenger air bag when I purchased the vehicle in June 2014 but they said they had it reset before I purchased it. Also, on multiple occasions people have told me at stop lights that my brake lights are on while I am driving and off while I am stopped. I found online that this a recall issue but it doesn't pull up for my particular VIN number. These are issues outside of the recalls that I was already forced to deal with.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Feb 132015

G6

Loss of all power steering while driving. Power steering displayed on display screen. Loss of power steering made it extremely difficult to drive and extremely dangerous. This issue could definitely cause a very serious accident. The problem then became intermittent in the following days it would take up about four time to start the car to be able to start driving without power steering. My car is not included in any of the recalls. I took to a GM dealership they diagnosed that the problem was indeed, the torque module sensor, which is the same as all the other vehicles under recall. So why is my vehicle not included"!"! I had this issue fixed today. Another issue that also just started happening in the past few weeks is my passenger airbag will intermittently will not work. The airbag display will show on my dash board and it will show that the passenger airbag is off. This light comes at random times whether or not there is someone sitting in the passenger seat. I also had this diagnosed at the GM dealership. The said it was my pps (passenger presence system) this also needs a new sensor and it will cost $700 to fix!!!! there is service bulletin regarding this for my car so they are obviously aware that this a common problem. The service tech at GM said that is extremely dangerous to drive with this (no kidding) and that if the airbag light is displayed on the dash none of my airbags will deploy. Lets hope that GM does not drag their feet on this, all someone needs is to loose their power steering, crash, and have no airbags deploy. I have not had my airbags fixed as I already had to spend $400 plus to have my power steering corrected. If GM does not correct this asap I predict they will have many more lawsuits coming their way. Lets hope I do not get into a serious accident until GM decides to pay for it or until I can save enough money to fix this safety issue.

- Brunswick, OH, USA