NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 18 of 19) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 18 of 19)

Feb 102010

Steering assist motor shorted resulting in loss of power steering. Could have resulted in accident if I had been in a curve or turning. I have repaired it, but GM is not responding to requests for reimbursement due to warranty being up. Car has approx 40,000 miles. Car has also had leak in the fuel rail at 25,967 miles and a fuel pump short at 1,548 miles.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 012008

While turning right or left usually at a slow speed or from a complete stop making a sharp turn, the steering pops, you can hear and feel it in the steering wheel. It started at about 50,000 miles and has continued while getting gradually worse. I took it in way back when it was still under warranty and told that the steering arm needed to be replaced but I could not afford it at the time so I waited and now unfortunately my extended warranty has expired at 81,000 miles. Recently (just after my warranty expired!) the passenger air bag light keeps coming on and off while my husband or I am sitting in the passenger seat. We commute 2 hours a day on a very dangerous pass. We are very concerned about this. I will be checking with my locate dealer to find out if there is a recall on the airbag.

- Los Banos, CA, USA

May 102009

At around 51,000 miles my Pontiac G6 (2007) began veering to the left and locking up. I heard a clunking noise several days before this happened when I turned the wheel from left to right. The clunk started off somewhat quiet and then got louder and cause it to become difficult to turn. When I would brake the car would shake and the steering wheel would turn left and right rapidly on it's own. I had all my brake pads replaced, even though the mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the brakes. I had the steering rack replaced. The problem went away for 3 months and then returned. The steering wheel began locking again making it difficult to recover from a normal turn. I had the steering rack replaced again. Now 6 weeks later the clunking and shaking and steering problems are back. Complaints of this problem are all over the internet. I have had this steering rack replaced 2 times and now it needs to be done again. All these replacements have happened over a 9 month period. It is extremely dangerous to drive when this happens and needs to be addressed.-

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 022010

The power steering light displayed on the radio for 10 miles and then was gone.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Feb 012010

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the power steering locked and the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle was turned off and after a few minutes the power steering remained inoperable. The dealer stated that they are not familiar with this type of failure. The vehicle will be diagnosed by a dealer. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Jamesville, WI, USA

Dec 252009

Power steering stops working with no real reason.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 292009

Steering shaft in vehicle worked on 7-12-08 & 10-29-09, twice now.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Jun 012009

2007 Pontiac G6 steering noise " clunk " when turning to the left.

- Farmville, VA, USA

Oct 012008

I purchased my G-6 used. Immediately I noticed a popping in the steering. It seemed to get worse. I took the car back to the place I purchased it. They stated that is normal for electric assist steering. I went to the GMC dealer, they stated they could not find a problem. The clunking got so bad, I returned to the GMC dealer at which time they said that the steering assembly et al had to be replaced. They replaced it under a factory warranty at that time approximately 1 year ago. About 1 month ago, the same thing started again. They told me again, nothing is wrong. The steering clunks, feels like it sticks and is very hard to control the car. I just hope that no one is seriously injured because GMC/Pontiac will not do a recall to change the system to a better safer design.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Nov 152006

I purchased a 2007 ponatic G6 brand new in Nov 2006 and have been having these problems from day one. General Motors and the dealership are not trying to help me and the car is a big safety hazard. Throttle body went out which makes the car shut off while U are driving(2X), steering wheel column keeps making a noise when I turn back up or pull forward(all the time), windshield wipers completely stopped working(1X), remote start and keyless entry doesn't work(has been replaced over two times and still doesn't work) display screen says my air bags are deployed and no im scared to drive my car.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 142009

Loss of power steering. A chime and warning will occur, but power steering may still work at times. Then without warning there will be no power steering. I took the car in and the dealer stated that they do not know the reason. I had noticed that NHTSA peo7023 has documented this problem. So I brought this to the dealers attention and they stated that it probably falls into the reasoning stated in above action number.

- Dafter, MI, USA

Jul 162009

Clunking in steering everytime I stop and go and exit turns. It is alot louder during stop/and turns. Very loud, I can also feel it on the steering wheel and in my hands.

- Erie , PW, USA

Nov 012008

My Pontiac 2007 G6 as vibration in the searing wheel while driving. Pontiac has similar complaints about this issue. I think it should be a recall instead of the customer paying for it. This is not something that other customers and I could create. I had gotten an estimate and the bill was for eight hundred plus dollars to make the repairs and I still have the warranty. Pontiac still wont fix it. I noticed the problem in Nov. Of 2008. Before I could get it looked at my car was involved in a hit and run. The hit and run occurred on the 12th of Dec, 2008.

- Christiana, PA, USA

May 182007

Clunking in steering when exiting the turn. Clunking also happens when I stop and start moving, especially if I go to the left or right. Really loud, you can hear it even with the music playing.

- Erie, PA, USA

Apr 012009

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle made a knocking sound when turning right and left. The dealer stated that the vehicle needed an intermediate shaft. The contact feels that this is a safety issue because the noise was very unfamiliar. The vehicle is currently at the dealer for repairs. The current mileage was 48,403 and failure mileage was 44,000.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 182009

When turning slowly my car makes a clunking sound that I have found out to be the rack and pinion. I had it replaced and it is already doing it again. I have heard that this is a safety issue and to bring up my situation to you. Thanks

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 162008

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. When attempting to turn the steering column, the contact heard a loud noise and the steering became difficult to maneuver. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel prior to the failures. In addition, the brake pedal pulsates abnormally when it is depressed. The rotors have been replaced several times. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer would not assist because the vehicle exceeded its warranty. The failure mileage was 25,000 and current mileage was 60,000.

- Redline, PA, USA

Mar 272009

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6 convertible. While attempting to drive in reverse, the contact noticed smoke and then flames. Upon further inspection, it was concluded that the steering component was the source of the failure. She had the vehicle towed to a dealer and they replaced the rack and pinion and steering hose at the cost of $800. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure and current mileages were 41,000.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Mar 142009

Squeak in steering wheel or column. It only happens at slow speeds when turning. Already had intermediate shaft greased. Sounds like squeaky windshield wipers. It's like something rubbing in steering wheel, I first thought maybe the sir coil. Concerned about possible airbag malfunction. Took into dealer and was told it's just plastic or rubber rubbing in steering column and not to be concerned & squeaks are not covered by extended warranty. I have noticed this problem on the internet with other Pontiac's and it's either been the sir coil or some cases even the whole rack and pinion. It's very annoying.

- East Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 012008

My Pontiac G-6 has steering problems. It started out making this popping noise whenever I turned a sharp turn. Now the popping is getting worse. I was informed through a guy at work who has an 08' G-6 that the problem is in the steering knuckle. He has taken his to the dealership countless times to get it replaced and the new parts just keep going bad. He told me the problem was because of lack of lubrication, but yet there are no grease zerks to at grease. What a very poor design, what ignorance, especially this day and age. Its common sense that moving metal parts need lubrication. I was told that the new proposal to fix it was to put a plastic shroud around the knuckle, pumped full of grease, and just hope and pray it works. I'm no mechanic but that seems pretty crappy if you ask me. I haven't had the time to take my car in to have it looked at yet, I'm hoping I don't have to pay for this out of my own pocket, because of Pontiac's stupidity. I'm hoping that they come out with a recall soon before this problem causes a serious accident.

- Savannah, MO, USA