NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Aug 222016

The brake sensor goes out causing the brake lights to not work. A recall says that the BCM causes fluctuations to the brake sensor, in turn causes the lights not to work. When I had the recal done for the BCM, the brake sensor also needed work. The result is 200 bucks worth of work done that wasn't recall covered. The recal even states that the brake sensor is affected because of the BCM problem. I believe that the brake sensor needs to be covered in this issue. Also include the traction control shutting off, that was another 200 spent for that. Take a good guess what was the result of that issue. Spoiler alert it was the BCM!!

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Apr 012016

Driver side front low beam light was out and replaced at pep boys in April 2016. Since then the light would work intermittenly. I returned to pep boys and was told it was probably an electrical problem that they see 9 out of 10 times with Pontiac. Went to dealer on 8/22/2016 and was told that the bulb connector had melted, a problem that is very common with this car. I had to pay $212.17 to replace the low beam connector and the new headlamp that I was told could not be re-used. I am now hoping it doesn't burn out again soon or that the right side doesn't burn out too. This is a dangerous problem because I never knew when my headlight would be on or if it would remain on during an outing. Sometimes I would board my car and begin driving with the light on and part way through my trip the light would go off leaving me suddenly in the dark. Luckily I was never stopped and ticketed by the police or, even worse, suffered an accident due to a sudden change in visibility on the road.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 122016

I am so aggravated with the Pontiac company, I filed a recent complaint over the phone. The body control modular needs to be repaired/replaced but because my particular car was not included in the 2014 recall they are refusing to do anything about it. The dealer I had to take the car to is trying to blame it on us because the car has after market items on the car which we did not addto the car, when we bought the car from Toyota on nicholasville superstore that stuff was added already by someone else, and if that was the problem why is the brake lights on//off problem just now showing up since it was a year this past may that we have owned the car. I think that the Pontiac company just doesn't want to help fix the problem and we are stuck with a car that has brake light issues that could cause serious damamgung problems in the future and I have no way to pay for it to be fixed.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jul 072016

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at any speed, the brake lights remained illuminated regardless if the brake pedal was depressed or not. In addition, the traction light illuminated. The failures reccurred continuously. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 08/30/16

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jul 062016

Tail light recall repair completed in 2013 - car has been back to dealer numerous times for same issue. Tail lights come on when driving an go out when you hit the brake pedal. I was almost rear ended by a semi last night as the brake lamps were not operating correctly. Dealer closed out the case as repaired - GM recall line will do nothing and want me to pay $120 an hour to have the car put onto diagnostic machine - I refuse to pay out of pocket for anymore expenses - I've paid over $500 already before recall was extended to 2008 models. I work at a GM powertrain plant, this type of repair is unacceptable to my standards of what management tells us quality is to GM. Please investigate further their fix was a jump harness and re-greasing of the BCM - that is not the fix the real issue is the BCM's are bad and need to be replaced my GM reference id for this issue is 8-2214129861. I do not feel safe driving this car at night with no working brake lights. Issue happens while idling, city driving, and highway driving. Traction control and electronic stability control lights come on along with scrolling on car screen to service traction service ESC. Cruise control disengages and all traction stability of the car is turned off.. pressure in the brake pedal also goes.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jun 012016

When I tried starting my car it wouldn't do anything so I had to put it in drive and then it started up and that happened to me three times so far it's like it want start unless I turn the ignition and put it in neutral for a drive and I don't think it should be doing that and with my brakes I got new brakes on my car for front and back and it's like I never put brakes on because it's still make noise like I need brakes and that's crazy and I don't think that's good and the car seems like it be moving when it's in park.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

May 222016

Right side headlight is arcing getting hot.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

May 012016

Car died had no power lights went dim so I was told it was the alternator put won on and all the lights came on battery was good still nothing got a jump stii nothing next day dead again.

- Renton, WA, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While operating the vehicle, the instrument panel lights suddenly illuminated and flashed. In addition, the speed reduced and the rpms increased. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) in 2014, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Mar 072016

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While starting the vehicle, the key failed to operate in the ignition switch. In addition, the gear shifter moved independently without the vehicle being started. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission shift cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train) on July 24, 2014. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Mars, PA, USA

Jan 242016

Driving on the fwy and suddenly all of my hazard lights start turning on at once. My car started to lose power and I had to pull off to the side, not even my emergency lights would work. This is the 2nd time this has happened, the last was a few months ago and had the alternator replaced. Could it be the alternator again? I think not, I have also had issues with my power windows. I am not a mechanic but, I believe there is an electrical problem that is causing a shortage.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jan 112016

While driving, I get a power steering warning light and I lose power steering functions. It happens while driving and also while stopped at lights. When the vehicle is turned off and restarted. The system resets itself, but you never know when it will happen again. If driving or stopped.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Oct 082015

Brake lights are either always on, causing traction control to fail, or they are on when the brakes are not applied and off when braking. This also causes cruise control to not work. Anyone driving behind me can not tell when I am braking. Some 2008 G6 models were recalled but for some reason my 2008 G6 has this problem and was not recalled.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 152015

Wiring harness connection to low beam headlight melted causing low beam not to work on driver side of vehicle. After finding issue inspected passenger side and it is also showing sides of degradation. Unless you can find a harness at a scrap yard you must completely replace the headlight assembly according to the dealership at a cost of over $300!

- Douglassville, PA, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 65 mph, the passenger side low beam head lamp failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the low beam wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Painesville, OH, USA

May 202013

Service airbag sensor in the seat. Constant light on the dash because of sensor and shows service airbag.

- Eden Valley, MN, USA

Sep 302013

The headlights are constantly going on and off by themselves. Sometimes if I bang on the headlight cover it will pop back on. This happens when the car is running, in drive, moving or parked. I have replaced the bulbs and even ordered a replacement kit from Pontiac for one side. I still have the issues. I've seen several other G6's with headlights out before I realized it wasn't just my car.

- Grant, MI, USA

Oct 032013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. On several occasions, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the vehicle was able to be driven without the key in the ignition switch. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Sep 132015

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at an unknown speed, the headlights failed to illuminate. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two occasions. On the second occasion, it was diagnosed that an unknown component had melted. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Memmphis, TN, USA

Sep 012015

My break lamps are illuminating when the breaks are not being applied. I have already taken my vehicle in for the BCM recall for this issue, but it is still occurring. Today, 9/14/15 I also started receiving the message that my traction control has been turned off and needs serviced.

- Canton, OH, USA