NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 14 of 14)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 14 of 14)

Nov 052009

G6

I own a 2008 Pontiac G-6 (value leader model) 2.4L engine with electric steering. At 15,000 miles the motor for the electric steering went out causing a dtc and P/S message on the radio dic, I had no power steering at this point. The motor and control module were replaced by the dealership where I bought the car. At 66,000 the steering begin having random movement left to right on its own at various speeds, on three occasions the lost of steering control nearly caused an accident each time. The only way to regain control and stop the movement of the steering left to right is to come to a complete stop and sometimes shut the car off and restart the car. Since this started the car has been to the dealership for repair three times. The outcome thus far is the dealership can not duplicate the problem. The intermediate shaft also had clunking noise and movement up and down by pulling on steering wheel. The shaft has been replaced with 2nd generation shaft from a technical service bulletin. On 12/23/2009 I paid to have the torque/position sensor replaced and calibrated. After six days of driving the car the random movement left to right and control loss came back. Currently the car is back at the dealership for test driving to duplicate the problem. The issue has been duplicated on 01/12/2010 my options seem to be at this point for GM to replace the entire steering column or help replace the car. I am currently not happy with the vehicle and fear for my safety to drive the car.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Dec 262009

G6

I have started to experience loss of power steering and you never know when because it drives fine until you try and turn a corner or pull out to pass someone, wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what if anything has GM done to correct the problem. My car it's a Pontiac G6 model 2008 with 37,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 172009

G6

Intermediate steering shaft clunking had to have replaced GM said wasn't a safety issue. With the joints freezing up how could this not be a safety issue?

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Oct 192009

G6

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6. When I was driving down the highway the power steering went out. Took it to a mechanic said that it has an electrical power steering. Of course the dealership had the part in stock because the said all G6's have faulty steering. There needs to be a recall before someone crashes and is seriously injured. I don't think it's fair that I have to pay the $700 to get it fixed when this is something they are aware of. Please pray for my safety I hope this fixes the problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 282009

G6

Steering makes a popping and clunking sound when turning. Is getting worse (louder) as time goes on. The noise is now pretty much every time you turn and steering is becoming more "stiff" but not as yet dangerous.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 182009

G6

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 that has 20,800 miles. While turning there is a popping noise from the steering column. Steering wheel began jerking left and right when idling and is now doing it while driving. While driving today the power steering warning on dash came on. I will be taking this car in for repairs tomorrow, but I began googling for possible solutions and found numerous complaints and a silent recall on the 2005 and 2006 models of the G6, but I think the problem is still unresolved. While the steering issue has caused an accident, is has become a major concern as the jerking made highway driving unsafe. This just started happening a few days ago.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jun 182009

G6

2008 Pontiac G6 electronic steering shakes left and right during start up and also when driving at no specific road speed, and sometimes locks up left or right after making normal correction to driving conditions. Occurs randomly taken to dealership 3 times. Two times no problem noted by dealership, and 1 time dtc P0460-4B logged and repairing technician attempted to recalibrate steering sensors. Recalibration failed and steering column was replaced. Vehicle returned to owner and continues to still have same problems with steering shaking and locking up. Vehicle is currently at dealership.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 082009

G6

The last couple of months I noticed a "klunking" sound somewhere in the steering assembly of my 2008 Pontiac G6. The dealer replaced the steering shaft today (under warranty) without question. With some research online I see this is a fairly common complaint with regard to this vehicle. Thankfully, so far I've only been inconvenienced, not injured. Please investigate this matter to prevent inconvenience at best, and injury at worst to other G6 owners, and encourage Pontiac to come forward and do a recall regarding this matter. Thank you!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 032008

G6

I have noticed that my steering wheel will lock uncontrollably and intermittently. It has not caused an accident yet, but it does has a binding and rocking motion in the steering wheel. I have to cut the engine off and reset the power steering after its displayed on the instrument panel. GM has done nothing and there is no recall as of the date of this posting to replace or fix the discrepancy. I am concerned that it may cause an unfortunate accident that could cause a fatality if this is not corrected and I pray that it does not happen. I feel for the individuals that have had an accident so far and I hope that they take there complaints to GM and make them pay for it. Just to set the record my vehicle has approx 49535 miles on it and this has happened more than 30 times with it getting worse. I surely can't afford to have it fix.

- Raleigh , NC, USA

Sep 012008

G6

Vehicle type is 2006 Pontiac G6. For about 3 months upon starting the car in the morning the steering wheel is locked - there is no power steering what so ever. After a few seconds the steering wheel unlocks. The last few weeks have been more concerning. It seemed like when a left turn was made the car "dings" and the message "power steering" comes up on the radio. Now 2 days in a row we were traveling straight and received the "power steering message". the car has never lost power steering while driving but I am very concerned upon reading other consumer comments. My car was purchased new and has 12K miles on it. The car was taken to dealership and was told they replaced "U" joint ( I believe) since they said it was "seizing". receipt states intermediate shaft replaced. Still having problem -Pontiac dealership is at a loss.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Nov 032008

G6

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I brought to dealer on 11/03/08 and they determined that the clunking noise was coming from the intermediate shaft. Their solution was to lubricate the shaft as the first step to resolving the problem. The clunking noise has been reduced dramatically, but I know I will be bringing this vehicle back in for this same problem. I have brought a previous car, 2006 G-6, in to the dealer for the same problem on 10/24/08 and it was recommended that the steering rack be replaced at a cost of $ $503.15. This was not covered under warranty because the car was 3,000 miles over the warranty coverage. I have an appointment for my 3rd Pontiac G-6 on 11/07/08. It is just amazing that I have three of these vehicles, and they all seem to have the same problem. All that I'm looking for is to have this problem taken care of by the manufacturer at no charge, because I believe this is a factory defect.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Sep 182008

G6

2008 Pontiac G6 has issues with possible defects. The consumer stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle wandered. At 60 mph, the wandering increased and constant corrections had to be made to prevent an accident. The consumer also stated the brake pedal was too high and too far from the gas pedal. The consumer stated his foot did not come to rest evenly on the brake pedal, rather his foot came to rest unevenly on the pedal. The steering was inadequate. When the ratio between the steering wheel and the front driving suspension was too large, so at times of an emergency when a quick turn of the wheel is necessary to avoid a collision, such response is not available due to the defective construction of the vehicle. The response to the steering wheel was sluggish. The steering wheel did not turn with ease, but required excessive turning and excessive strength. The sunvisor extended too far down which impaired the consumers visibility.

- Monroe, NJ, USA

Nov 032007

G6

My daughter was driving a 2007 Pontiac G-6. she was going around a curve entering the express way and the car did not respond to her turning the wheel therefore the car went into the ditch. The air bags did not deploy. Consiquently she fractured her back. September 2007 in November 2007 my son was driving a 2008 Pontiac G-6. he was going around a curve the car did not respond. The car rolled over hit a tree and killed my son. The air bags did not go off.

- Charlotte, MI, USA

Jun 042008

G6 6-cyl

My power steering went out while driving down the interstate entering an exit ramp at 50 mph. This is the first and only time this has happened. I've now parked my vehicle and haven't been driving it. I have two children under age 4 and cannot allow them to be in that death trap. After I pulled over to a safe area, I turned the ignition off and about 10 min later on again. After that, my steering was fine. I've also had the rack and pinion replaced 3 times for a click sound that is made anytime I turn to the left or right. I've been told it could be the steering links or even the tie rods and struts. It still makes that sound. Either way, all three times a certified GM mechanic replaced the rack and pinion because they were sure that's what caused the click and all my front end issues. When I had the first rack and pinion replaced, the water pump also needed to be replaced. This car is only two years old. I had the same body shop work on the vehicle each time something was replaced. I've feel jipped. I pay almost 400 a month for a car that could kill me! a definite recall needs to be done before someone kills someone else or their children die or themselves. I can't believe this thing has been under investigation for so long and nothing has been done. It's absurd.

- Blair, NE, USA