NHTSA — Wheels Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Sep 302015

G6

During routine oil change visit after long trip, was notified of extensive wear & damage to 3 of 4 tires. One had strip of rubber wrap around the axel, bust the boot & brakes & bent the axel. Another had @ 5X4 inch piece of rubber missing, steel belts were shining. Third tire had areas of separation all around the tire, more steel belts visible. Luckily they held pressure & didn't blow out. Have always kept them rotated & balanced. It'd been 6 months since they'd been rotated/balanced -- and only 6000 miles. One service guy mentioned "outer edge wear" on them, but the service manager, after looking at the remaining warranty/miles left, said that the tires were supposed to wear like they were. The tires were 4 yrs old & had @ 60,000mi. On them.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Feb 162015

G6

Was going 5 mph becuase of weather, hit ice, ended up doing approximately 25-30 mph in a slide. Threw me in a ditch front first. Did $5671.65 in damages on the front end alone. 63 parts replaced. Airbags and onstar did not activate. If my husband and I were not wearing our seat belts we woulsve been thrown out the windshield. Whole entire front end was in the ditch and back passenger tire was in mid air. When my husband went to get out of vehiicle he fell out of the car and landed under the car. There are pictures taken by the state highway patrol as well as myself. Husband and I were sore from the accident but did not go to the emergency room.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Apr 012014

G6

I have been reading about other peoples problems with the G6 and I am having the same with my 2008 Pontiac G6/GT. I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 and I am having problems with: Tie rods, wheel hubs, control arms, and lastly my car light in the front keeps going out, not the high beams but the low beams. Every time I replace the bulb it goes out in a matter of weeks.

- Linden, NJ, USA

May 132014

G6 6-cyl

Vehicle battery was drained overnight from consumer electronics (dvd charging, gps) to the point when attempting to start near zero voltage with inside lights shutting off. Charged with 10 amp battery charger to full battery. Afterwards key fobs would not work. Did not think much of it. After a few days of driving noticed the tire pressure info was all -- (not posting). Tire pressure system monitoring was completely off with no notification to driver. Found several sites that say a G6 can lose it's tire sensor/key fob memory from a slowly draining battery and must be taken to a dealer to fix it. Took it to a GMC (formerly Pontiac) dealership, $95 later only got the tires working again. Newer vehicles have a procedure for owners to initiate this setup themselves and reprogram the tires and key fobs, but not 2008. The lack of tire pressure sensors when they were there prior should trigger at minimum a warning on every start. It can tell me I need an oil change every day. For this to happen because of a low voltage event is terrible circuit design / bad programming. If an owner charges his kid's dvd player and it kills the battery the next day the mandatory tmps system may not work, and not work without warning. Hopefully the day the dvd player needs a charge isn't the same day they develop a medium leak driving down the mountains of Utah, because the driver won't be notified the system forgot the sensor id's and doesn't care about those pressure readings anymore, even the falling pressure on the tire holding the car in the correct lane at a 8% grade, downhill. #1 fix the safety issue. #2 don't charge me to re-program something that is not safe and was corrected on newer vehicles.

- Jackson, WI, USA

May 012012

G6

Three of the tire sensors do not match up with the correct tire. For example, the sensor for the left rear is actually reading the tire pressure of the tire in the front right. Therefore, I am unable to tell which tire needs air or has too much air without taking it to an air pump with a pressure sensor. In the past, I have had to go into the shop because I could not find an air pump with a pressure sensor. The forth sensor is not reading any tire at all. It is showing as though there is not a tire on my car, which there clearly is. As far as I can recall, this happened completely at random.

- Vernon Center, NY, USA

Mar 232014

G6 6-cyl

Traction fail. Light on traction on, , off, sometime rear end spin.

- Temple City, CA, USA

Oct 212013

G6 6-cyl

When I start my car I now receive a "service air bag" along with a "service tire monitor". the dealer says they can't find anything wrong and I should just replace the sensors to be safe. Is this safe" shouldn't there be a recall on this issue since it seems to happen so frequently"

- Springfield, MO, USA