NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Feb 112016

I was driving and my steering wheel locked up on me while I was on a highway something popped up on my radio saying power steering service ESC I couldn't turn almost had accident

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jun 062014

G6 6-cyl

Lights on the car starting coming on the air bag lights stay on now and will not go off.the heater in the seats also stopped working.and now when I turn the steering wheels there is a grinding sound.I thought it was the cv axles replaced, and it did no continues to make the grinding sounds when I turn, and its hard to turn the steering wheel at times it locks up.the electric systems seems to act strange with lights blinking on the dash board sometimes.many times I have trouble starting the car and have had the starter checked out and they cannot find a problem, when it does this all the lights start flashing.once I was driving in the mountains at a speed around 45 miles an hour and my car completely cut off on top of the mountains.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Apr 072015

G6 6-cyl

On 4/7/15, while driving heard chimes. All icons on instrument panel turned on. The fuel gauge needle moved to empty. The low fuel gauge turned on. All this indicating malfunction. The odometer turned off and the code error came on and turned off; then the odometer came back on. All the icons on the instrument panel turned off except for the security light icon which stayed on. It felt as if someone was attempting to disable my vehicle. Later that day turned the vehicle on and everything seemed normal, like it reset itself. On 4/8/15, after driving approximately 70 miles on the highway, the security light icon turned on and stayed on. I took the vehicle directly to the dealer and they informed me they would have to diagnose the vehicle. The result was inconclusive, they did not find anything wrong. So not only was I put in an unsafe condition, this end up costing me $140 just to tell me they could not find anything - not only am I in the hole for $140 but I am back to square one. I feel GM should foot this bill as a customer courtesy due to the predicament this vehicle put me in. This should never have happened to a vehicle that is 6 years old and 80,000 miles.

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

Oct 152014

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer sent in repair invoice. Recall # 14V252000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 312013

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Requesting reimbursement for repairs due to recall. According to the repair invoice, the BCM shorted out. Recall #14V252000.

- Clewiston, FL, USA

Jul 242014

G6 4-cyl

Wife was driving vehicle onto rt 46 here in austintown, Ohio when the power steering light came on and she lost steering. She had not reached the speed limit of 40mph when this occurred. She managed to get the vehicle of the road and into a gas station lot going up over a curb parked it and then called me to come and get her. I drove the vehicle home about a quarter of a mile without the power steering. I then called Pontiac's customers services and to no prevail got any satisfaction. I then made an appointment with spitzer autoworld here in lordstown, Ohio for Friday Aug 1st.,had the vehicle looked over, they told me that the problem was with the steering column and that it has to be replaced. I see that GM has recalls for steering problems on the same year, make and model but my VIN# doesnot fall in this recall. So as of Monday Aug 1st I will be back on the phone with Pontiac.

- Austintown, OH, USA

Jun 092014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the contact was informed by another motorist that the brake lights on the vehicle were constantly illuminated. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The part for the repair was unavailable. The dealer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 08/11/14

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Mar 052014

G6 4-cyl

As I was coming around a turn at my house, I lost all electrical it was like my car shut off. I was close to hitting a stop sign and a house on my street. I did go up the curb. I lost power steering so my steering wheel was harder to turn. Once I got the car stopped my vehicle came back on automatically. At 116,000 miles I drove to ripley and parked my car at work. When I went out to lunch my car would start, but wouldn't move forward. It would only go in reverse and roll backwards. I ended up replacing the transmission and some wires. I don't know if this could be a defect, but it only had 116,000 miles and they are supposed to last at least until 200,000.

- Ravenswood, WV, USA

Feb 262014

G6 4-cyl

I was driving behind a vehicle who stopped suddenly and when I braked, a power steering message came across the radio and I was unable to turn my vehicle left or right. The car makes a clicking sound when the power steering locks up. It can lock up in the middle of driving or when starting my car.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Dec 022013

G6 4-cyl

I purchased this car in summer 2013. It was fine for a couple months then the cruise control started going out and the ESC and traction control would code at the same time. I searched on the internet and found the GM service bulletin that said to remove the connectors from the computer and apply dialectic grease due to corrosion. This would work 30 to 60 days then I would have to apply more grease. Before christmas I was driving home at night and noticed that my brake lights were stuck on. I found that this would often happen at the same time that the other problems would code and other times the brake lights would just come on. I have applied grease several times this winter and it doesn't work anymore. The ESC and traction control code at random times, and the cruise control becomes inoperable. The air bag light is now on and stays on. These are all annoying but the issue that scares me is the brake lights coming on at random times when I don't touch the brake pedal. That is obviously unsafe and I would hope that GM would step up and fix it. They wouldn't have issued the service bulletin if they didn't know there was a problem, and the dealership I purchased it from had smeared the connectors heavy with grease so they must have read the service bulletin too.

- Laona, WI, USA

Jul 012013

The cruise control will work and then in the middle of driving it quits. This seems to be related to the brake lights not working properly. Also, seems related to these two messages some time coming on: "service traction" and "service ESC."

- Leopold, IN, USA