NHTSA — Engine Problems

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Aug 102014

G6

Engine is 3.5 L V6. After starting engine, several minutes later engine starts making a loud rapping noise which lasts several more minutes, then slowly disappears. GM dealer investigated and said it did not know cause. Said wait till noise is severe.I think it is timing chain related! tensioner, worn guide. Only 3000 miles on engine. 11/5/2016.

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Aug 032016

G6

I had power steering lose about a year ago and then it just happened again yesterday. When I shut the car off it like resets and then it's fine I also had a friend of mine text me and told me that my brake lights were backwards when I when I was breaking the lights were off when I was driving and my brake lights were on. I have also always noticed that my car shifts weird sometimes when I'm passing it doesn't seem like I can get up to speed. I have also had trouble with my passenger front airbag sensor since I've had the car. I bought my car and 2010 it was only a year old with very few miles. Right now I only have about 81,000 miles on it. With all of my incidents with the power steering and brake lights I have been in town driving all were in motion. In town driving has probably been about 35 mile an hour I would never want to experience or have any of these on the highway.

- Kenton, OH, USA

Mar 302015

G6 4-cyl

Car started dragging - could not drive no more than 5 miles - transmission went out - would not go in reverse - no indication on computer of engine problem - read about similar recall on Pontiac G6 for transmission problems - this incident happened around the same time recall put out on certain G6 - but not mine because of engine size - I do not understand why my vehicle did not fall under this recall - I spent a lot of money to replace it.....updated 10-27-15

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 312015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 30 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired. When the vehicle was started, the brake light illuminated; however, when the brake pedal was depressed, the brake light failed to illuminate. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Hondo, TX, USA

Apr 072015

G6 6-cyl

On 4/7/15, while driving heard chimes. All icons on instrument panel turned on. The fuel gauge needle moved to empty. The low fuel gauge turned on. All this indicating malfunction. The odometer turned off and the code error came on and turned off; then the odometer came back on. All the icons on the instrument panel turned off except for the security light icon which stayed on. It felt as if someone was attempting to disable my vehicle. Later that day turned the vehicle on and everything seemed normal, like it reset itself. On 4/8/15, after driving approximately 70 miles on the highway, the security light icon turned on and stayed on. I took the vehicle directly to the dealer and they informed me they would have to diagnose the vehicle. The result was inconclusive, they did not find anything wrong. So not only was I put in an unsafe condition, this end up costing me $140 just to tell me they could not find anything - not only am I in the hole for $140 but I am back to square one. I feel GM should foot this bill as a customer courtesy due to the predicament this vehicle put me in. This should never have happened to a vehicle that is 6 years old and 80,000 miles.

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

Apr 122015

G6 6-cyl

Leaking antifreeze overheating pressure building up in radiator.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Mar 012012

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving approximately 15 mph attempting to make a turn, the engine stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the door independently locked and unlocked. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake lights illuminated intermittently without the brake pedal being depressed. The headlights were also replaced multiple times due to burning out prematurely. The contact managed to merge over to an emergency lane and the vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnosed the failure but decided replaced the battery in order to restart the vehicle. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was not available.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Dec 272014

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, there was a sudden loss of power steering assist and the check engine light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was experiencing the same failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering).the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,920. Updated 03/10/15 updated 6/17/2015

- Colorado City, TX, USA

Jul 142010

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnose that the belt tensioner pulley needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Jul 192014

G6 6-cyl

At low speed the vehicle made a loud "pop" sound, which was immediately followed by smoke filling the interior via the air vents. The car was immediately shut off and the hood opened. The engine compartment was on fire with flames between the engine and fire wall. Upon putting the fire out it was found that the power steering fluid had leaked out of the car onto the exhaust manifold, resulting in melting the engine wiring and other components. The entire side of the car was sprayed with power steering fluid and the top of the fender had black soot from the fire. The hood pad and fire wall insulation showed large amounts of fire damage.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Dec 012011

G6

When you are driving either one headlight will go out and then come back on. Then the opposite headlight will go out and then comeback on. Then sometimes both headlights will go out at the same time. I've had people flash their lights at me thinking I am high beaming them when one of my headlights turn back on. I also had a spun bearing in the bottom end of the engine which caused the vehicle to stall while turning at an intersection and almost got rear ended. I also had my vehicle stall for no reason at all. Had my mechanic look at it he came to the conclusion that maybe it was the battery and replaced it. I have also had issues with the door ajar light to where it causes the interior light to come on and stay on. I've had the door sensors replaced numerous times and have not had any issue with the door ajar for a little while now. I've also had an issue with bearings locking up in the air conditioning unit that caused a severe burning smell and caused the car to not want to start. Therefore I believe there is a major electrical problem with the car causing all of these issues.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

May 082014

G6 6-cyl

In early may my 2009 Pontiac G6 shut off unexpectedly while reversing in a parking spot. I tested the car in drive also and realized the ignition could be switched off while in gear. I have tried to get GM to repair the faulty ignition but since it has not yet been added to their growing list of recalls, they wont even look at it without leaving the car for a $150 inspection. This is absurd since the part should take 30 minutes to install and costs them next to nothing. I'm sure there are many other vehicles not under the recall that also have the issue. I am disgusted with GM for continuing to neglect responsibility for an obvious problem! I'm not sure what else to do at this point but to seek the help of an attorney.

- Tiburon, CA, USA

Nov 182013

G6

Lost control of the car hitting a wall on the interstate.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jul 152009

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, there was a loud ticking noise coming from the engine. The failure also occurred while idling. Additionally, the vehicle decelerated suddenly while driving at different speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- South Field, MI, USA