NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2.6

2009 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Oct 052016

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the passenger side headlamps failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the bulb needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred three times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Enchanted Oaks, TX, USA

Sep 232016

G6

I purchased the 2009 Pontiac G6 in 2011, since then I've replaced the passengers side low beam head ligh bulb a total of 10 times. I've had 2 pig tails installed in the last 2 years; now the problem still persist as of today. Something is wrong with Pontiac G6 headlights system. I've read serveral complaints of the same thing.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 092016

G6

My brake lights will come on when I am driving and will go off when I apply the brakes. Also I will have warning lights come on randomly. Same issues under NHTSA campaign number 14V252000. Dealership has done recall work for this twice they told me and have charged me for the repairs and repairs to my warning lights as well and it is still not fixed. This happens everyday.

- Troy, MI, USA

May 202016

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 45 mph, the service traction and service ABS. Traction control, ESC and stability control warning indicators illuminated. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000. Updated 07/12/16 updated 08/03/16.

- Watson Town, PA, USA

Aug 112014

G6

I've been replacing parts to try to solve the problem of why the brake lights stay on, the cruise control kicks off, the traction control stays on. All these problems are all at the same time.I get it fixed and then 3 weeks later its the same all over again but it keeps getting worse. Alot of people I know with this car keep spending money and it never gets fixed the right way. We all need a solution.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Mar 052016

G6

Low beam head lights go out when driving sometimes the left and sometimes the right. When I start the car headlights wont come on I have to tap on the headlight lens to get them to come on, have replaced bulbs and still happens. This has been going on since I bought the car. I have talked with other G6 owners that are having the same problem. When driving on the interstate and the lights go out it is very dangerous.

- Johnston City, IL, USA

Jan 172016

G6

My car has now also lost power steering on more than one occasion (loss of power steering first occurred this year)the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently and my headlights keep going out, even when the bulbs are brand new (this has been an ongoing issue for two years now). When I smack the headlights, they come back on. I do not always feel safe when driving this car.

- Canton, MS, USA

Dec 202015

G6

The low beam head lights are melting there connector makingthe lights to go out random and some times blowing the light bulbs. This happens at any time day and night in motion or not. It is extremely dangerous when the lights go out and im driving as I can't see anything and other drivers can't see me. The high beams do work but that is dangerous to drive with any traffic as it can cause them to not be a be to see.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Nov 092015

G6

Right headlight continues to blow out bulb. Replaced 3 times in 2 weeks. Not sure if there is a power surge causing the issue or a short in the wire. Appears to be a problem with this vehicle.

- Canton, MI, USA

Nov 092015

G6

The solution GM has for recall #14V252000 does not work. The recall was fixed 9/2014 and on 10/31/15 the same problem was noticed. This has been noticed when the vehicle is in motion. Brake lights come on when brakes are not applied, go off when brakes are applied. I brought vehicle into a Chevy dealership on 11/09/15. They replaced a brake pedal position sensor. Noticed on 11/09/15 in pm that the brake lights remain on and do not change when the brake is pressed. A service traction came on 11/10/15 and again on 11/17/15. I have not had an opportunity to drive behind the vehicle while this service traction light is on. I have taken a picture of the service traction light twice showing the mileage and time. I have read similar complaints regarding this NHTSA recall #14V252000 (GM recall #13036) on this website! I know this will not be taken care of unless a number of people die from an accident just like the ignition switch recall!!

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Apr 082015

G6

The low beam headlight continuously burns out. I have replaced it 5 times approximately once per month. I am very careful not to touch the bulb. I have also bought the bulbs from different stores just in case it was a bad batch.

- Van Wert, OH, USA

Jan 012015

G6

The headlamp socket has blown out 3 light bulbs since January (it is now July). The socket has totally melted and parts of it have broken off making it impossible to replace the bulb again. The socket and bulb have burn marks on them.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Jun 102015

G6

I have been dealing with the issue of the service traction light coming on in my car, which will cause my cruise control to not work, and, my break lights to either stay on all the time, stay on while I'm driving, shut off while I break, or, just not come on at all. I have at the BCM module cleaned 3 times, this is only a temporary fix. I have completed the recall the GM finally did, this did not solve the issue either. I finally today had to get my entire BCM module replaced, and a very high cost! I think that the recall should have replaced these entirely, because, obviously what they are doing to fix the "recall" is not working!

- Sartell, MN, USA

Feb 082014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving at numerous speeds, the passenger side headlight failed without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the connector melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Mar 012014

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the headlight assembly malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the headlight assembly twice, but the failure recurred. The contact continued to experience the head lamps burning out and the low beams failed to illuminate again. The vehicle was taken back to the independent mechanic, who indicated that the part was defective and that the failure may recur again. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 7/1/15 the consumer stated the low beam headlight burned out 4 times. The socket was burned and replaced. Updated 9/15/2015

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Feb 242015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 40 mph, the front passenger headlight failed without warning. The contact replaced the headlight, but the failure recurred. The contact discovered that the inside of the headlight casing melted and burned the wiring. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the front driver and passenger doors would lock and unlock without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Belleview, FL, USA

Mar 012015

G6

My 2009 G6 has 38,000 miles on it. I have had several problems with the low beam headlights. The pigtails are melted & burned. I have tried to replace these exactly as they were hooked up & now the drivers side light will not work.

- Sun Valley , CA, USA

Sep 232013

G6 4-cyl

We have had ongoing issues with the rear running lights shorting out and the driver's side low beam going out. We replaced fuses for rear running lights 4 times. I was pulled over by local police and had to be picked up to get home, leaving the car at police station until I could drive safely in daylight. We have replaced the low beam bulb 3 times. The low beam light would intermittently work at times. Now, again it is not working at all. I have read excessive consumer complaints stating the same problems with 2009 Pontiac G6 vehicles.

- Nazareth, PA, USA

Oct 152014

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer sent in repair invoice. Recall # 14V252000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Oct 152014

G6 6-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer sent in repair invoice. Recall # 14V252000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA