NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2010 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Pontiac G6:

2010 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Mar 012016

I have had to change my low beam light bulbs 3 times in 2 months. I have gotten pulled over twice now for a light out. Now I find if I smack the light it comes back on?

- Hermantown, MN, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While attempting to make a turn, the front and rear lights failed to signal. The lights on the instrument panel illuminated. In addition, the front driver door failed to open or close. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 148,000.

- Pittsburg, TX, USA

Apr 012014

My headlights (both) will go out from time to time. I can start my car and one of the lights will be out. I can get out and hit above the light and it comes back on. Then I can be driving down the road, hit a bump and one of them go out. You never know when one or both may go out. I have replaced the lights 2 times since owning the car in December 2012. They have never both gone out at the same time, but I am worried about it happening. Then what will I do? this problem really needs to be addressed. My husband and I both have been pulled over for having a headlight out. We then show the cop that all we have to do is hit it. Thankfully we have not gotten a ticket yet.

- Beebe, AR, USA

Apr 082013

G6 4-cyl

Headlight bulbs for both driver and passenger sides need to be replaced repeatedly. The pigtail socket for the bulb appears to have overheated. I have owned the car for 3 years and replaced headlight bulbs six times.

- Kearneysville, WV, USA

Feb 012013

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. While driving at various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel would become very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that when the failure occurred, the ESC off and power steering warning sensors would illuminate and the steering wheel would vibrate. The contact also indicated that while operating the vehicle, the low beam headlights would suddenly shut off and only the high beam headlights could be used. The head lamps were replaced on several occasions, but the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Randellstown , MD, USA

Dec 242014

G6 4-cyl

I noticed I had a low-beam headlight out around christmas but didn't get around to replacing it until 1/19/15. Once it was replaced, it was again not working within less than 24 hrs after the replacement. I returned it to the shop, where the technician found that the headlight harness around the new bulb had melted. I am now awaiting parts to have that replaced. I understand this is a continuing problem with GM cars of that year, and that they tend to keep blowing bulbs and needing harness replacements.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Jul 232014

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving approximate 15 mph, the headlights became inoperable. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The mechanic was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Aug 012014

The headlight connections easily become corroded and burns out the connection and the low beam headlight will not work.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle the brake lights would constantly illuminate when the brake pedal was not being pressed and the brake lights would turn off when the brake pedal was being pressed. The contact also indicated that the electronic stability control would erroneously shut off while operating the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed and the manufacturer was notified of the failure but no solution was offered. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Wires burned off light sockets. Both driver and passenger sides. Door lock solenoid went bad. Daughter was unable to get in or out of drivers door. Getting ABS warning light. Getting passenger air bag warning.

- Dubois, IN, USA

May 052014

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights remained illuminated when the brakes were not engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 75,000. Updated 8/19/14

- Dellroy, OH, USA

Apr 102014

G6 4-cyl

My passenger low beam headlight bulb will not work, changed the bulb and it blew within 3 days replaced it and now it wont work, changed the fuse and it still didnt fix the problem.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 312014

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the low beam headlights continuously burn out. The contact mentioned that after inspecting the vehicle he noticed that the wiring harness melted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 69,000. Updated 5/27/14

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 132012

G6 4-cyl

The low-beam passenger side headlamp went out, so I replaced it hoping that the issue was just a burnt out headlamp. However, the same headlamp went out again 3 months later (approximately 12/15/12). At that time I further inspected the wiring to find that the connector had melted causing the light to burn out. At this point I had the connector replaced on the passenger side. Approximately 1 week ago (approx. 9 months after replacing the connector on the passenger side) the low-beam driver side headlamp went out. Again, hoping that it was just the bulb, I took it apart to replace the bulb. Unfortunately, the connector on the driver's side is now melted as well. I will have to replace this asap as it is a possible fire hazard. I appears that an overwhelming number of people have had this same issue, with nothing being done about it. I fear that it will take a customer's car catching on fire to elicit any type of recall. Please check into this before it becomes a serious issue and injures/kills someone.

- East Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Low beam headlights kept going out on both sides. Occurred numerous time at night requiring the continuous use of high beams. After replacing the bulbs with recommended wattage 3-4 separate times over a 5 month time span took car into the dealership. Dealership service found that the bulb connectors were melted due to the terminal being spread, and the high amperage required to run headlight caused heat to build up and melt connector. Headlight connector, socket, and bulbs (4th set of bulbs in 5 months) needed to be replaced. Question quality and correct engineering of electrical used for headlights.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Oct 142012

Driving home from a long weekend in hibbing mn, we are driving at around 10pm at night when all of the sudden the vehicle shuts off completely. The headlights turned off, steering wheel locked and brakes were not reacting at all due to the vehicle not been running. We were both really scared as the vehicle would not turn the lights on even after I manually tried to turn them on. Car rolled to a stop I slowly applied the emergency/parking brake to help the vehicle stop as I couldn't see anything. After 10 minutes of trying to get the car to start again it did restart. Car had plenty of fuel, I had just replaced the battery roughly 6 months prior to that happening. So I know it was not out of fuel or a battery issue. I have not had the problem again but it was a very scary experience.

- Edgar, WI, USA

Jan 162013

G6 4-cyl

I have replace my headlights once about a month ago. They have just burned out again. It is not appropriate that I should keep having to change out headlights due to an electrical failure due to how the car was made. This is something that requires a recall.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Dec 122011

G6 4-cyl

I thought my headlight bulb went out and so I went to the car dealership to have them replace it. A few months later the bulb has been going in and out for the last 9 months. The mechanics are telling me it's a wire problem and with the vehicle being a 2010 I shouldn't be having that problem. It's now Sept. 28,2012 and once again it has gone out...again. Plus since I got the car I've been hearing rattling either in the passenger door or the dashboard. The dealership wants to charge me but I feel I shouldn't have to pay for GM mistakes.

- Marysville, OH, USA