NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2007 Pontiac Torrent (Page 3 of 3)

2007 Pontiac Torrent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Torrent:

2007 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Sep 212010

Torrent 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent (Chevrolet equinox) that experiences wild engine / transmission / braking behavior during rain storms. The behavior is the engine cut-out + antilock brakes all at once, all four tires while driving on the highway in rain. It has happened about 20 times, I have had the car since new and it has 89,000 miles on it now. This is the first year of stability control in this vehicle and I have brought it into the dealer several times and they cannot fix it. The mechanic said they get about one complaint a week like mine, and GM refuses to issue updated software for the stability control, however the mechanic said he knows there is a fix for the 2009 cars.

- Dedham, MA, USA

Oct 292010

On the evening of 10/28/10 started the my 2007 Pontiac Torrent to put into the garage for the evening. I started the car and the "traction control off" notice appeared on my driver information center. I thought I might have bumped it since it is located just left of the prndl shift. I pushed the button to turn it back on and immediately the service traction control warning light came on. I thought I would just take into the dealer on Monday. I then shifted the car to drive and now realized I had no power steering at all. Definitely would be headed to the dealer on Monday. Did not drive the vehicle the rest of the weekend as I believed it was a safety issue. Monday made the dealer aware that I would be bringing in and why. At noon time started the vehicle to take to the dealer and all operations were fine. Called the dealer and said the car was now operating ok. Service told me that we would call one time a fluke but if it happened again get the vehicle in and they would look for the fault codes to try and figure out what happened. I agreed to do this but decided to look up issues on the internet. After finding mention of this same exact problem I did not feel good and wondered what would have happened if I had been at highway speeds when this occured? I then decided to file this complaint. I will be taking the car in for a dealer visit prior to it happening again.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Oct 272010

Torrent 6-cyl

On the morning of Oct.27, 2010 while my husband was trying to leave from pt and come home of post the car would not start (Pontiac Torrent) he had to have it jumped just to start it. After the car turned over he found that there was no power steering. He managed to get it to the dealers that we have bought it from to see what the problem/S were. We now have no car for work doctors and to get the things we need. The car (Pontiac Torrent) is now at the dealership to see what's wrong and if they can fix the problem.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Apr 182009

2007 Pontiac Torrent- lost power steering without warning. Started vehicle and there was no power steering. Dealership advised that the electronic power steering had gone out and that the entire steering column must be replaced but that it was not covered by warranty. Vehicle was repaired by third party by replacing the power steering module. Also the stabili- trac warning continues to come on as well as disabling itself while driving the vehicle.

- Gardendale, AL, USA

May 122007

2007 Pontiac Torrent (Chevrolet equinox) shutters and ABS brakes malfunction during heavy rain storms. Shuttering feeling is very pronounced, entire drive train shakes. This complaint is similar or identical to opi # 10230804 and 10211398. It has occurred since the car was new, about 20 times, car now has 51,000 miles. Multiple dealer returns could not duplicate.

- Dedham, MA, USA

Jul 162007

The date is the first incident, had several after that. I owned the vehicle 8 days when the stabilization, traction control, anti-lock brake lights came on, so I took it to the dealer, they said it was a speed sensor, they would order part. I took it back to get it fixed, 30 minutes later same problem again, lights came on, so I went back, they assured me they fixed it and it was a quote "lights only" issue. A month later took it back again and low and behold the same code came up again, so either they fixed a bad part with a bad part or else they didn't really fix it. It also had been running in all wheel drive the whole time, which they told me it wasn't the first time. I still didn't feel safe so took it to a different dealer and they checked and said the steering computer needed reprogrammed, but on it said they replaced the steering computer and the gas cap. Here it is 02/06/08 and another issue came up, dead battery.

- Mercer, PA, USA