NHTSA — Engine Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: The Pontiac Vibe is the mechanical twin of the Toyota Matrix.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2003 Pontiac Vibe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Vibe:

2003 Pontiac Vibe Owner Comments

Sep 292014

Vibe 4-cyl

I had been having problems with acceleration on my 2003 Pontiac Vibe and I was leaving my place of business a few days after the problem started and my rpms dropped to 0 while driving approximately 35mph and then it seemed to of "caught" and I drove to where I needed to go, I took my car to the shop and once it turned off it wouldn't restart. They seemed to think it was the fuel pump and recommended I take it back to where I originally got the vehicle 6 months ago since it was covered under warranty, so I did and they agreed it was the fuel pump they changed the fuel pump and was still having the same problem with not starting they took it to a dealer and after it sat there for 3 weeks leaving me without a car, I was then told it was the main computer for the car and will cost me $1100 to fix. However I still don't have my car back since I don't have the money to fix it. However I just received a recall notice for my car and one of the 3 recalls is for the ECM. Isn't that the same as the 'main computer' in the car and shouldn't the dealer fixed it at no charge and been made aware of this. So now I have been without a car for a month for what should of been fixed before I even bought the car.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA